Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did Saturn HAVE to Fail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 01:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Did Saturn HAVE to Fail?

Here's a well-written article I came across recently, out of TIME magazine. The author (Brad Tuttle) seems to have really hit the nail on the head.....I feel the exact same way he does. Saturn really started to fall apart around the year 2000,when they lost their original sense of purpose.

http://money.blogs.time.com/2009/10/...y-save-saturn/

Can't Somebody Save Saturn?
Posted by Brad Tuttle

I have a soft spot in my heart for Saturn. The first new car I could truly call my own was a bare bones Saturn SL. The sticker price was around $11,000, and with Saturn's original no-hassle-no-haggling policy, I happily paid the sticker price. I delivered pizzas and drove cross-country in that super reliable, unsexy, no-A/C vehicle, and I loved it.

And so I'm bummed that, barring a miracle, Saturn will be no more. Penske was supposed to buy Saturn, but now the deal is dead, and it looks like Saturn is as well.

In all honesty, I guess I should have mourned the death of Saturn long ago. At some point around the millennium, the brand changed. It began making more car models, including SUVs, and its flat, no-haggling-sticker-price policy—a pleasant alternative for many, many buyers who sweat out the aggravating "come into the office and let's talk" game that car dealers play—began to get jumbled. Basically, a Saturn was becoming just another GM car, in many ways indistinguishable from a Chrysler or Chevy. And sales fell just like they did with other GM cars.

I'm not sure who is more at fault for Saturn's demise. Did Saturn simply sell out and lose its original sense of mission? Or did American drivers fail to buy into Saturn in large enough numbers, leaving the car maker no choice but to tweak that mission? If more people had chosen Saturn sedans over Ford Explorers, perhaps Saturn could have stuck with the original game plan.

What Saturn had in the early days was rare: It was an American brand that many consumers (not just me, that's for sure) believed in. The company produced a product that, shockingly, consumers believed was worth the retail price. Plainly put, a Saturn was a good value. You knew what you were getting, you knew what you'd pay, and you were happy about both. Why is that such a rare thing?

R.I.P.
Old 03-14-10, 01:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, Brad seems to oversimplify. If Saturn had made a better effort to continually develop its line-up, rather than let the original SL, which was marginally competitive with foreign imports, continue with little update for a decade, maybe they wouldn't have to sell out.

Yes--I know--GM handcuffed them by not opening up the treasure chest.

But the ultimate point is the same--it's a shame that Saturn had to die.
Old 03-14-10, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Unfortunately, Brad seems to oversimplify.
Perhaps.....but he represents the opinion of hundereds of thousands who liked the original S-series, and helped made Saturn the success it was.

If Saturn had made a better effort to continually develop its line-up, rather than let the original SL, which was marginally competitive with foreign imports, continue with little update for a decade, maybe they wouldn't have to sell out.
You have to also look at WHY the S-series was competitive. It not only had a rarity for small domestic cars (a better-than-average Consumer Reports reliability rating), but also no-dicker pricing, easy-option orders, hand-washings with each service, dent/ding/rust/corrosion-proof body panels, and an ingenious spin-off transmisison filter that made fluid changes an easy, no-mess snap. And, on top of that, a 30-day/1000 money-return guarantee with clear title and no significant vehicle damage.

Yes--I know--GM handcuffed them by not opening up the treasure chest.

But the ultimate point is the same--it's a shame that Saturn had to die.
Agreed.
Old 03-14-10, 02:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You couldn't haggle with Saturn list price but you could get better trade in prices from dealer to dealer.Trade in haggling.
Old 03-14-10, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You couldn't haggle with Saturn list price but you could get better trade in prices from dealer to dealer.Trade in haggling.
You could also, in some cases, negotiate on the financing....but not the sticker. In the early days, Saturn dealers adhered strictly to the sticker-only deals for the price of the car itself (minus tax, tags, etc...), but soon the factory started allowing dealers (they were actually called "retailers"), if demand allowed, to load on dealer/factory-approved accessories and charge for them. They really started to do that in spades when the high-demand/low-supply Sky roadster came along, and, of course, made good profits on each car.

On a standard S-series Saturn without accessories, the average mark-up from wholesale to retail was around 14%. That sounds like a lot, but Saturn used that money for a lot of customer perks, rather than pure profit. For instance, they held nice gatherings at the dealerships (oops, retailers) for their customers, and gave away free auto-show tickets.
Old 03-14-10, 04:48 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Saturn seemed to go through 3 stages:

- Early engine and oil problems: a number of early owners swore off the brand. A couple former clients had these cars. Yikes, they never stopped talking about how bad their cars were.

- The golden years: loyal buyers. One lady I know bought a wagon, rolled it about a year later, and went back to the dealer to buy another one - same style, same color. A co-worker is still driving his S with over 250K miles. His "new" one only has about 60K miles and his wife drives it. He bought a pickup to replace his S, but decided to keep it for commuting.

- The end game: just another GM brand. The only happy owners I know have Vues. But, they realize there are other GM brands with the same vehicle for the future.
Old 03-14-10, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Saturn seemed to go through 3 stages:

- Early engine and oil problems: a number of early owners swore off the brand. A couple former clients had these cars. Yikes, they never stopped talking about how bad their cars were.
The most widespread problem in the early years (though, overall, acording to Consumer Reports, the car was better than average) was the ignition wiring harness....which were covered in a well-publicized recall.

- The golden years: loyal buyers. One lady I know bought a wagon, rolled it about a year later, and went back to the dealer to buy another one - same style, same color.
S-series cars didn't have the usual unibody. They used a very strong welded space-frame assembly. The metal hood/roof/trunk and the plastic doors/side panels were attached to this space frame. It was a very crash-worthy design that had excellent resistance to damage from roll-overs....as your lady-friend found out.

A co-worker is still driving his S with over 250K miles. His "new" one only has about 60K miles and his wife drives it. He bought a pickup to replace his S, but decided to keep it for commuting.
One thing that he will never have to worry about on his S are the side-panels rusting. They will stay like new for many years, though eventually the water-borne paint job will fade. )

- The end game: just another GM brand. The only happy owners I know have Vues. But, they realize there are other GM brands with the same vehicle for the future.
You're right. That's basically what Saturn (gradually) became in its second decade of existance......a generic GM division. The VUE, though an interesting vehicle, was simply a version of a GM world-platform shared by other small SUVs.
Old 03-14-10, 05:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Saturns, like Carmax, were rip-offs. Not allowing customers to haggle allowed the company to twist profits in their direction. This greedy and selfish act takes away the opportunity for a customer to save money AND get a good car- all in one. There are other manufacturers that allow you to have your cake and eat it too.
Old 03-14-10, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Saturns, like Carmax, were rip-offs. Not allowing customers to haggle allowed the company to twist profits in their direction. This greedy and selfish act takes away the opportunity for a customer to save money AND get a good car- all in one. There are other manufacturers that allow you to have your cake and eat it too.
No-haggle deals weren't (and aren't) just a feature of Saturn and Car Max. Oldsmobile used them, for a while, at selected dealerships, in the 1990's. So did some other brands, here and there, on a trial basis. Scion, a Toyota division, still uses them today.......like Saturn, it has done so since its conception.

In Saturn's case, I disagree that it was a rip-off. For one, it made first-time car buying a LOT easier for young people, first-time buyers, and those who just didn't want the hassles of a Middle-East-Bazzar buying atmosphere where people spend all afternoon just agreeing on the price of a rug. Second, as I mentioned earlier, Saturn didn't just pocket all the the money (the average mark-up in the early days was around 14%). they turned much of it back into customer perks and benefits....things like free car-washes, periodic dealership parties for customers, complementary auto-show tickets, etc....
Old 03-14-10, 05:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No-haggle deals weren't (and aren't) just a feature of Saturn and Car Max. Oldsmobile used them, for a while, at selected dealerships, in the 1990's. So did some other brands, here and there, on a trial basis. Scion, a Toyota division, still uses them today.......like Saturn, it has done so since its conception.

In Saturn's case, I disagree that it was a rip-off. For one, it made first-time car buying a LOT easier for young people, first-time buyers, and those who just didn't want the hassles of a Middle-East-Bazzar buying atmosphere where people spend all afternoon just agreeing on the price of a rug. Second, as I mentioned earlier, Saturn didn't just pocket all the the money (the average mark-up in the early days was around 14%). they turned much of it back into customer perks and benefits....things like free car-washes, periodic dealership parties for customers, complementary auto-show tickets, etc....
But what a better time for someone young to learn how to beat back a dealership and practice frugality. By weaning a first time buyer on the no-haggle experience, it doesn't allow them the chance to learn how to save the most possible money. This is a disservice, not a favor. Saturn put the blinders on them and robbed them of any chance of practicing effective buying skills.
Moreover, I would much rather save $25 a month on a car payment then have parties and circus shows. Again, this dumbs down young people and encourages the popular trend of "gifts, instead of savings." (cell phone companies do the same scamming)

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 03-14-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-14-10, 11:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have friends and staff that loved their saturns as well as the buying experience
Old 03-14-10, 11:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

If Saturn kept the formula that made them a cult following from the beginning, I feel certain that Saturn would still be around today.
Old 03-14-10, 11:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

did they change the hassle free shopping .??? I wasnt aware. I had a conversation with a staff member who went on and on about how it was so stress free buying the car
Old 03-15-10, 05:15 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
But what a better time for someone young to learn how to beat back a dealership and practice frugality. By weaning a first time buyer on the no-haggle experience, it doesn't allow them the chance to learn how to save the most possible money. This is a disservice, not a favor. Saturn put the blinders on them and robbed them of any chance of practicing effective buying skills.
Unfortunately, many young people learn this lessen the hard way, or never learn it, and pay inflated prices and/or interest rates on lousy cars. It's a major problem in our miliatary, as enlisted folks don't make a lot and their car note is their single largest expenditure. Every base has formal and informal support for the troops to try to prevent 19-year olds from making a stupid financial decision. As a USMC Corporal, my son worked with a number of PFCs to convince them that the car they fell in love with was a lousy deal. Everyone who went car shopping had to at least take a buddy along to maintain sanity. I read recently that Congress is proposing legislation to try to address this.
Old 03-15-10, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP, it was certainly a good concept in the beginning for a car division with failed execution by GM in the last decade.

Quick Reply: Did Saturn HAVE to Fail?