Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lex...er...Toyota FT-Ch revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 08:16 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
HS is very different vehicle from ES... it is a lot like Acura TSX actually. I would suspect very different type of buyers between those two vehicles.

With HS Toyota got car that they can sell in twice the volumes than ES Hybrid ever could.

As to the Corolla and Matrix, Matrix is not simply 5 door Corolla. I would guess next gen Matrix will be similar to (Corolla) Verso from Europe, which is more like Mazda 5 (in fact, it is car Mazda 5 came after).
I agree with you that the HS is a lot like the Acura TSX, but even so, I don't think that justifies it's existence. To most US consumers there's very little difference between the HS and ES. Both are quiet midsized luxury Lexus.

I also disagree that the HS would sell at twice the volume of an ES hybrid. The RX hybrid currently sells about 1500 units a month and the HS has been selling at about the same rate give or take month by month. The RXh costs $45K and the HS cost $35K, so thats a big deal. IMO a V6 ES hybrid that costs $40K would sell at the same rate as the HS yet be more profitable, and if there were an I4 ES hybrid I think that it would sell at an even larger rate.

The ES is an established line for Lexus and expanding it would have been better than adding a new line that essentially competes for the same customer (entry level luxury buyer who wants a midsized car). I don't think the HS has brought any new customers that wouldn't have bought an ES or IS to Lexus.

Now in Japan, the HS was a perfect product. Since they don't have an ES and they have tax incentives for hybrids, the HS is the perfect car to slot between the IS and GS. Here in the US where the ES has that job, the HS makes little sense...
Old 01-12-10, 08:17 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they have nothing to do with each other actually... :-).

FT-CH is next gen Yaris based Hybrid... it is actually slightly smaller than small Yaris hatchback... it looks bigger because it uses iQ space savings which make engine compartment tiny and enlarge cabin to Corolla levels.

LF-CH is one size bigger car...
I can't wait to see the next Yaris based on the iQ platform.
Old 01-12-10, 08:22 AM
LexFather

HS just sold 1900 copies. RX 450h is always around a solid 1500 units or so. HS does start at a price less than the RX......

We all know hybrid options are coming to the entire lineup eventually....seems the focus for the ES was putting the 2.4 in it in China....