Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lex...er...Toyota FT-Ch revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 09:24 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lex...er...Toyota FT-Ch revealed

Detroit 2010: Toyota FT-CH a younger, cheaper brother for the Prius

by Sebastian Blanco (RSS feed) on Jan 11th 2010 at 12:09PM

Toyota brought a downstream version of the small hybrid Lexus LF-CH concept that was unveiled in Frankfurt to the Detroit Auto Show today. The FT-CH Concept – teased a few weeks ago – not only offers small hybrid mentality with a Toyota badge, it could also be a tremendous sales successful if it ever makes it to production.

Toyota didn't say this concept is for sure destined for the showroom floor, but they were hinting at it. The reason we can see this being popular is that, if Toyota sells it, the FT-CH would be priced below the Prius and aimed at a younger audience. The FT-CH is smaller than the Prius too, coming in at just 153 inches long and 68.5 inches wide.

The four-seat concept was designed by Toyota's European Design and Development center in Nice, France with an 8-bit mentality. That's not a put-down. It's actually the style that designers were going for with the FT-CH, and the press conference included references to Contra, Megaman and Super Mario Brothers. Check out a promotional video of a digital rendering of the FT-CH in action on Toyota's new sustainable mobility website.
Old 01-11-10, 09:36 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The four-seat concept was designed by Toyota's European Design and Development center in Nice, France...
Definitely looks like it was designed in France. Looks quirky enough to pass as a Citroen or Peugeot.

With that said I kind of like it.
Old 01-11-10, 10:23 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Definitely looks like it was designed in France. Looks quirky enough to pass as a Citroen or Peugeot.

With that said I kind of like it.
I agree with your comment as well...
Old 01-11-10, 10:45 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL i was just about to post a thread like this that compared this FT-CH with the LF-CH. How can they even use the same name! geezus, lexus needs to part ways with toyota if even the concept cars are looking alike
Old 01-11-10, 11:20 AM
LexFather

http://www.motorauthority.com/...ncept

Old 01-11-10, 11:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between the LF-Ch/CT, the Matrix, and the host of other wagons they have in international markets (Avensis, Caldina, etc), I hope they aren't planning to create an all-new model just for this. Put the drivetrain in something else and be finished with it.

Maybe my thought process is whack, since I feel like they should have done the same thing with the HS drivetrain in the ES or IS.
Old 01-11-10, 11:46 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Maybe my thought process is whack, since I feel like they should have done the same thing with the HS drivetrain in the ES or IS.
I totally agree with you there.

I'm getting tired, of Toyota/Lexus having entirely new model ranges for every separate vehicle. HS drivetrain should have been used in the ES and the HS should have never existed, and the Corolla and Matrix should be one model and the Solara (RIP) should have been a Camry Coupe and Convertible not a separate neglected model line.

So many reoccurring times Toyota has done this I'm not even gonna list but you get my point.

BUT regarding this vehicle I don't think it's not THAT bad that it's a separate model. It's pretty much a baby Prius and I think that's fine.
Old 01-11-10, 12:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks pretty cool. Very unique and futuristic.
Old 01-11-10, 01:20 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)

I'm getting tired, of Toyota/Lexus having entirely new model ranges for every separate vehicle. HS drivetrain should have been used in the ES and the HS should have never existed, and the Corolla and Matrix should be one model and the Solara (RIP) should have been a Camry Coupe and Convertible not a separate neglected model line.

So many reoccurring times Toyota has done this I'm not even gonna list but you get my point.

BUT regarding this vehicle I don't think it's not THAT bad that it's a separate model. It's pretty much a baby Prius and I think that's fine.
I agree as well.

However, the Matrix IS a corolla, and the Solara IS a Camry.
Old 01-11-10, 10:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

so Toyota/Lexus should give customers LESS options? Really?

Because HS is best selling Lexus Hybrid now... and I doubt it would be that with ES350 body... It is very different vehicle from ES, and gives customers another choice.

This car will go into production as Prius brand vehicle. It will be dedicated hybrid.
This is because Toyota has learned that dedicated hybrids sell better... You think that Matrix Hybrid would be better than Prius? I very much doubt it.

What is interesting here is that it is most likely using next generation YARIS platform, which is based on iQ space savings concept. Car itself is actually shorter than Yaris, however it has long cabin that is as big as Corolla's, and thats why everyone thinks this is an bigger sized vehicle.
Old 01-11-10, 11:55 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

wow that face has a lot of pimples
lol
Old 01-12-10, 05:17 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
so Toyota/Lexus should give customers LESS options? Really?

Because HS is best selling Lexus Hybrid now... and I doubt it would be that with ES350 body... It is very different vehicle from ES, and gives customers another choice.

This car will go into production as Prius brand vehicle. It will be dedicated hybrid.
This is because Toyota has learned that dedicated hybrids sell better... You think that Matrix Hybrid would be better than Prius? I very much doubt it.

What is interesting here is that it is most likely using next generation YARIS platform, which is based on iQ space savings concept. Car itself is actually shorter than Yaris, however it has long cabin that is as big as Corolla's, and thats why everyone thinks this is an bigger sized vehicle.
I believe that in the US the RX hybrid has outsold the HS, and the RX is most definitely more profitable, but that's besides the point.

No I don't think that the Prius or this vehicle should have been Matrix hybrids. I think both the Prius and this vehicle should be independent model lines, to distinguish themselves from the rest of the lineup. The Matrix on the other hand should simply be called a Corolla hatchback to save some marketing dollars, just like how the Mazda3 comes in hatchback and sedam form. My other example was the Camry and Solara (RIP) which SHOULD have been under the Camry model line.

As far as Lexus and the HS, the HS doesn't bring anything new or significant to the table, so it's drivetrain should have been used in a current Lexus. Toyota/Lexus should have developed a real groundbreaking powertrain for a "first dedicated hybrid" for the brand.
Old 01-12-10, 07:34 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Well now it's pretty obvious that the LF-CH will be the upscale version of the FT-CH. Sort like the whole Toyota Sai/Lexus HS dilemma. Boring and disappointing. Yawn.
Old 01-12-10, 07:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Well now it's pretty obvious that the LF-CH will be the upscale version of the FT-CH. Sort like the whole Toyota Sai/Lexus HS dilemma. Boring and disappointing. Yawn.
they have nothing to do with each other actually... :-).

FT-CH is next gen Yaris based Hybrid... it is actually slightly smaller than small Yaris hatchback... it looks bigger because it uses iQ space savings which make engine compartment tiny and enlarge cabin to Corolla levels.

LF-CH is one size bigger car...
Old 01-12-10, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

As far as Lexus and the HS, the HS doesn't bring anything new or significant to the table, so it's drivetrain should have been used in a current Lexus. Toyota/Lexus should have developed a real groundbreaking powertrain for a "first dedicated hybrid" for the brand.
HS is very different vehicle from ES... it is a lot like Acura TSX actually. I would suspect very different type of buyers between those two vehicles.

With HS Toyota got car that they can sell in twice the volumes than ES Hybrid ever could.

As to the Corolla and Matrix, Matrix is not simply 5 door Corolla. I would guess next gen Matrix will be similar to (Corolla) Verso from Europe, which is more like Mazda 5 (in fact, it is car Mazda 5 came after).

Quick Reply: Lex...er...Toyota FT-Ch revealed