Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X1 and Audi A4 Allroad side by side

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 12:43 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't speak for Europe, but it is not likely that mini-luxury SUVs will sell well in the U.S. Like I mentioned earlier, most people here who want smaller SUVs tend to want lower-priced ones like the RAV-4, CR-V, etc.....

I firmly believe that is why Lexus has not done a smaller, RAV-4-based SUV here....the RX is the smallest they've done.
All signs are pointing toward Lexus making a compact CUV, but my hope is that it would be IS based and not Rav4 based.

Rav4 is a great CUV, but a Lexus version would stomp on the RX too much and likely eat into RX sales. A RWD sporty CUV would be a nice addition to the lineup that would attract some Q5, X3, EX buyers to Lexus, without stealing RX buyers.

But if they do base it on the Rav4 platform maybe they could make it a dedicated hybrid CUV (ala HX) in order differentiate it from the Rav4 and RX.
Old 01-09-10, 10:21 AM
gewe21
Lead Lap

The rears remind me of Tribeca (BMW) and Legacy (Audi)
Old 01-09-10, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The new RAV4 is not a small SUV believe me, it can carry bigger cargo than the EX350 and the GX470.
Yes, that's true; it is larger than the previous version, but I still don't think a Lexus version of it would be as popular as the RX itself is today.
Old 01-11-10, 08:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that's true; it is larger than the previous version, but I still don't think a Lexus version of it would be as popular as the RX itself is today.
I think Lexus will never make another SUV as popular as the RX, the problem with a Lexus mini SUV is that it would have to be sporty, not a soft rider. Lexus will have to design a SUV suspension that is sporty and yet somewhat comfortable, so far, Lexus do not have such an animal yet.
Old 01-30-10, 07:14 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have actually been looking at the AllRoad with the 2.7T as my new daily beater/work vehicle. Interesting as I never thought I would think of owning another Audi since my 5000T burned down.
Old 01-30-10, 08:34 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I have actually been looking at the AllRoad with the 2.7T as my new daily beater/work vehicle. Interesting as I never thought I would think of owning another Audi since my 5000T burned down.
ahh the allroad.... some are nuts about it others hate it with a passion... i suggest you do some serious research before pulling the trigger on this one. there are a lot of them here in the N.W. and the majority of people love them. they are however EXTREMELY expensive to maintain... the 2.7 is a for the most part a solid engine, it does have the typical audi cam seal/ adjuster seal leaks as well as turbo oil line that leak... however if fixed properly they will last a long time. can't beat an iron block. trust me i have an a6 with the same powertrain minus the automatic transmission which brings me to my next point.. yes the torque converters are crap and the trannies typically start to slip in reverse... can happen at 60k or never. the air suspension is a neat feature but it does have a flaw which i cannot believe was not fixed... the air struts have the bags exposed and after quite a few miles of inflating and deflating they tend to have small rocks/road debris sand ect.. that wears the rubber down and they leak... NOT CHEAP to fix.. my suggested preventative measure on this wear is to copy what they did on the A8's with adaptive air suspension. they have an according type boot that covers the air bag to prevent debris from the airstrut.

in short i recommend going with an extensive aftermarket warranty! that is key to not having to worry about the repairs.
Old 01-30-10, 09:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Good info, thanks. The ol Audi trans slippage....went through that as well with my old Audi. How about that 2.7t? What can I bump that up to and still be reliable? Would like to see an honest 350+hp.
Old 01-31-10, 10:49 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Good info, thanks. The ol Audi trans slippage....went through that as well with my old Audi. How about that 2.7t? What can I bump that up to and still be reliable? Would like to see an honest 350+hp.
easiest mod for the 2.7 and being able to retain stock driveability is to go with the apr or revo or mtm reflash, good for a lil over 300 hp and 300+ tq.. and for god sakes, please find a non east coast car. if you are doing this, have the your engine vacuum lines either replaced or checked, audi used this crappy fabric encased rubber lines that crack badly with age, unlike toyota who uses something similar to silicone... my sc300 is a 92 and i have only replaced several lines... my a6 is an 02 i've gone over all of the damn hoses cause they have all shrunk and cracked.. last thing replace turbo recirculation valves as the stock ones are probably toast and won't appreciate the added boost pressure.

i will say this though... the apr stage3+ kit which is basically all the parts audi put on the rs4's 2.7/ is another way to get 450+ hp and have stock driveability seriously..... if you don't mind driving a clutch i would suggest searching for a 6 speed allroad that over the tiptronic.. i was lucky enough to find my manual a6 blk on blk as well
Old 01-31-10, 11:10 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

seriously i could write a freggin 3 page essay on these cars/engines and pro's/cons so if you are really interested feel free to pm me.
Old 01-31-10, 11:36 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Audi isn't too bad, can't quite figure out what BMW makes the same SUV in three different sizes though - small, medium, and large...?

Reminds me of that Hummer commercial with "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" from a while back.