Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are the costs associated with owning a Maserati?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 11:36 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to chime in.

Maserati are a relative steal on the used car market. You can find a nice 2005 Coupé with all of the tools, handbooks, and Ferrari/Maserati service records for as low as $45k.

What you ought to know is that Maserati are extremely expensive to maintain. They are often called the poor man's Ferrari, and that's exactly what they are. A Maserati will make you a poor man. $3-4,000 brake jobs every 6-8k miles, $300 oil changes every 4 months, a $10,000 clutch job every 15-18k miles stack up very quickly. You will need about $15-20k a year to keep a 2005-ish Maserati Coupé running as a daily driver, and if memory serves me correctly, the new Gran Turismo is no better than its older sibling.

Maintenance isn't the only thing you have to worry about. Some owners have been complaining about electric motors of all kinds failing after just a few hundred miles. The Cambiocorsa transmission is brilliant at high speeds or in enthousiastic driving, but you won't be doing a lot of that. With that transmission, it's not a matter of IF it will break... it's a matter of WHEN. And when it does, you can count on a $10,000 part on the estimate, as well as over 48 hours in technician time, at $130-150/hour, at a Ferrari/Maserati dealership, or anywhere from $50-80/hour at an authorized repair shop (ex.: Prancing Horse Ltd. here in Montreal). At that point you will have no choice but to bend over and take it up your **** if you want your car on the road.

If you have the money, just go for a Nissan GTR or even, to some extent, an Audi R8. Better performance to boot, and less expensive to maintain. But you just can't beat the acoustics of a Ferrari V8, especially if you have a Tubi exhaust hanging out the back end.

I think that's about it. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.

Last edited by FisforFast; 12-07-09 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-07-09, 03:15 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Time to chime in.

Maserati are a relative steal on the used car market. You can find a nice 2005 Coupé with all of the tools, handbooks, and Ferrari/Maserati service records for as low as $45k.

What you ought to know is that Maserati are extremely expensive to maintain. They are often called the poor man's Ferrari, and that's exactly what they are. A Maserati will make you a poor man. $3-4,000 brake jobs every 6-8k miles, $300 oil changes every 4 months, a $10,000 clutch job every 15-18k miles stack up very quickly. You will need about $15-20k a year to keep a 2005-ish Maserati Coupé running as a daily driver, and if memory serves me correctly, the new Gran Turismo is no better than its older sibling.

Maintenance isn't the only thing you have to worry about. Some owners have been complaining about electric motors of all kinds failing after just a few hundred miles. The Cambiocorsa transmission is brilliant at high speeds or in enthousiastic driving, but you won't be doing a lot of that. With that transmission, it's not a matter of IF it will break... it's a matter of WHEN. And when it does, you can count on a $10,000 part on the estimate, as well as over 48 hours in technician time, at $130-150/hour, at a Ferrari/Maserati dealership, or anywhere from $50-80/hour at an authorized repair shop (ex.: Prancing Horse Ltd. here in Montreal). At that point you will have no choice but to bend over and take it up your **** if you want your car on the road.

If you have the money, just go for a Nissan GTR or even, to some extent, an Audi R8. Better performance to boot, and less expensive to maintain. But you just can't beat the acoustics of a Ferrari V8, especially if you have a Tubi exhaust hanging out the back end.

How about Ferraris? Same thign applies to Ferrairs too?
Old 12-07-09, 06:06 PM
LexFather

PAging...Milla....she has one....

Old 12-07-09, 07:00 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
How about Ferraris? Same thign applies to Ferrairs too?
I would have to say that they are the same, seeing as the parts are relatively the same. Only thing that is different is the transmission, which is more reliable in a Ferrari but equally as expensive to maintain. Only thing you don't have to worry about in a Ferrari are the electric windows, which aren't as prone to failing as on their Maserati counterparts. Mechanically, both cars are bulletproof.
Old 12-07-09, 07:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If maintenance scares you then don't buy the car. Simple as that. I wouldnt touch an Italian car unless I had another car to get me to work while the car is in the shop for repairs or maintenance
Old 12-07-09, 09:20 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

I would have to say that they are the same, seeing as the parts are relatively the same. Only thing that is different is the transmission, which is more reliable in a Ferrari but equally as expensive to maintain. Only thing you don't have to worry about in a Ferrari are the electric windows, which aren't as prone to failing as on their Maserati counterparts. Mechanically, both cars are bulletproof.

Well in your breakdown above the biggest cost for the Maserati seemed to be the potential failure of the transmission. What I'm asking is since Ferrari does have a more reliable transmission that would dramatically reduce the potential cost of ownership, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-07-09, 09:28 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Well in your breakdown above the biggest cost for the Maserati seemed to be the potential failure of the transmission. What I'm asking is since Ferrari does have a more reliable transmission that would dramatically reduce the potential cost of ownership, correct me if I'm wrong.
That's true. But keep in mind that should the transmission on the Ferrari ever fail, it will probably cost twice as much to repair or replace. If you can find an F360 with around 18k miles that has already had the clutch replaced, and the brakes recently changed, jump all over it. As others have said though, really make sure that you have the necessary funds to maintain it, or repair it should it break down. I know a lot of people who sold their Ferrari at an incredible loss because they simply could not afford to repair it.

From experience, though, the build quality of a Ferrari is far superior to that of a Maserati, too. I mean, it's nice being able to drive the car around without fearing the interior will fall apart, as they often do in older Ferrari.
Old 12-07-09, 11:00 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I HIGHLY doubt you need 50k PER YEAR just to own a 130k Maserati.

Gotta love the people who just have to say the things in bold.

Ferraris and Maseratis are overpriced buckets of crap? Many many many smart wealthy people disagree.

What do you suggest a Ferrari sell for? 75k?
I stick to what I say, if you don't have an extra 50k a year don't buy the car, when all cost are added up I've easily spent 10-15k yearly on my normal daily drivers, they are expensive and warranties like that of japanese cars do not apply.

I formed my opinion from working in a Ferrari shop, the cars are great, but they are full of problems.

I think I mentioned that smart wealthy people buy them, but they have ridiculous amounts of money so the crap does not bother them, learn to read, don't let your emotions overcome you.

Pick up a Forbes magazine, they rate car ownership cost over 5 years, Suburbans, Tahoes, SRT8, E class and 5 Series cost like 100k over 5 years.

You have to pay to play
Old 12-08-09, 07:48 AM
Milla...

Here I am, someone call....

Time to chime in.

^^Well this for your typical Maintenance cost, although I have yet to have any issues as I'm a little under a year into this car, but mind you I do daily drive this car so it my be a matter of time. I will say I absolutely love this car to death and I can't seem to get out of it to drive anything eles, but I'm going to need to because I need a little more utility than what this of course offers, and based on some of these reports I better hurry. Yes this car is not cheap to have by any means whatsoever so if thats an issue, trust, don't even have this car in your peripheral vision.

edit: I've been watching this thread but wanted to hold off from posting to see where it would go first.

Last edited by Milla...; 12-08-09 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 07:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't you just go from an S5 to a C63? Are you now considering a Maserati?
Old 12-08-09, 09:50 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Pick up a Forbes magazine, they rate car ownership cost over 5 years, Suburbans, Tahoes, SRT8, E class and 5 Series cost like 100k over 5 years.

You have to pay to play
No offense but I'm going to assume you don't know what you're talking about until you find us that article. I'm sorry, but upper-middle-class people can afford the cars you have mentioned. Definitely not $20,000 a year to maintain any of these cars, not to mention maintenance is included with the 5-Series, and SRT8 are probably the cheapest speed you'll ever find. Granted, Suburbans and Tahoes are expensive to maintain... but not that expensive.
Old 12-08-09, 10:07 AM
Milla...

No offense but I'm going to assume you don't know what you're talking about until you find us that article. I'm sorry, but upper-middle-class people can afford the cars you have mentioned. Definitely not $20,000 a year to maintain any of these cars, not to mention maintenance is included with the 5-Series, and SRT8 are probably the cheapest speed you'll ever find. Granted, Suburbans and Tahoes are expensive to maintain... but not that expensive.

+1
I have a friend who have a Denali and his oil changes are no more than 40 bucks depending on which dealer he goes to. His 90k mile service was only 200bucks. 20k a year???? no way. My friend has had his Yukon for a few years and he may have spent all of 5-600 buck since ownership.
Old 12-08-09, 10:11 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Milla...
+1
I have a friend who have a Denali and his oil changes are no more than 40 bucks depending on which dealer he goes to. His 90k mile service was only 200bucks. 20k a year???? no way. My friend has had his Yukon for a few years and he may have spent all of 5-600 buck since ownership.
Coming from people who know what high maintenance costs are LOL.
Old 12-08-09, 10:51 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

It's on this website in a link, it was posted by one of the guys in here who post tons of stuff.

Upper middle class people lease cars and don't give a crap, the people buying these things off leases, without warranties are footing the bills for the repairs.

Like I said, 100k over 5 years, payments, interest, gas, insurance, general cost of ownership.

Suburbans, dude seriously, they are 100k vehicles to own, new they are 50k, and they guzzle gas, when gas hit 500 dollars my friends mother was putting $100 in every 3 days, I know several people who matched their car payments in gas, and these things don't have small payments.

SRT8, I know exactly how much they cost, and they drink premium fuel and get horrible gas mileage.

It's so easy to say I can afford this, but that all changes when you sit down with a financial person and they break down what the car actually cost, your suppose to have money in the bank, why would anyone buy a car they can just barely afford, that is not smart.
Old 12-08-09, 10:59 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
It's on this website in a link, it was posted by one of the guys in here who post tons of stuff.

Upper middle class people lease cars and don't give a crap, the people buying these things off leases, without warranties are footing the bills for the repairs.

Like I said, 100k over 5 years, payments, interest, gas, insurance, general cost of ownership.

Suburbans, dude seriously, they are 100k vehicles to own, new they are 50k, and they guzzle gas, when gas hit 500 dollars my friends mother was putting $100 in every 3 days, I know several people who matched their car payments in gas, and these things don't have small payments.

SRT8, I know exactly how much they cost, and they drink premium fuel and get horrible gas mileage.

It's so easy to say I can afford this, but that all changes when you sit down with a financial person and they break down what the car actually cost, your suppose to have money in the bank, why would anyone buy a car they can just barely afford, that is not smart.

If you put it that way it makes more sense. But imho 100k is still a little much.

Quick Reply: What are the costs associated with owning a Maserati?