Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are the costs associated with owning a Maserati?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-09, 12:56 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the costs associated with owning a Maserati?

I've read on this board and others that owning a exotic like a Maserati is more expensive than just the cost of the car due to maintenance costs.

I would like to know the approximate costs of this high maintenance costs. Is it the oil change?

They're website states that they only provide 4yr / 50k mile LIMITED warranty. What does this mean?

Are Maserati's reliable? Or is a 10k+ part need to be replaced every couple years?
Old 12-06-09, 02:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i don't know too much about maserati, only know 1-2 people with it. but they all say it's very expensive to maintain. the car is fast (ferrari drivetrain after all), but maintenance and stuff just breaks on the car.

i am interested in knowing the cost of maintenance as well, wonder how it compares to maintaining a ferrari
Old 12-06-09, 02:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have to ask.....
Old 12-06-09, 02:59 PM
ninous26
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
If you have to ask.....
^ what he said...

If you have to ask......... fill in the dotted lines. I think we all know the answer.
Old 12-06-09, 07:07 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I've been looking at Lambo and Ferrari ownership costs for a while, and I happen to come across some Maserati stuff.

Usually oil changes are around 400-500, around every 5k or so. Fluid change every 15k or so (according to Ferrari service schedule) for 1.2k.

The thing to watch out for is the clutch, from what I understand is that city driving, and shifting in "eco mode" at 2-3k rpm, the F1 transmission tends to not disengage completely so your clutch wears out around 10k miles, so thats another 8k ish in clutch change.

And if there is no other major issues then it should be okay
Old 12-06-09, 07:18 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A new clutch on a Mas is 6K and oil changes are about $300. Great cars and cheap performance but be ready for Ferrari maintenance prices.

If the F1 pump goes it's in the neighborhood of 10k I believe.
Old 12-06-09, 07:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brake rotors and pads are about $3k.

And since they're race-inspired, they need changing about every 6-8k miles or so...
Old 12-06-09, 08:46 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

ok, so I assume you will have to have about 50 grand in spare liquid funds aside for each exotic for the life of the vehicle.
Old 12-06-09, 09:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
ok, so I assume you will have to have about 50 grand in spare liquid funds aside for each exotic for the life of the vehicle.
i wouldn't be surprised about that
Old 12-06-09, 10:45 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it helps, my neighbor's Maserati spent more time outside his hands in the shop than either his Scuderia or Mercielago...
Old 12-07-09, 12:22 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
By 50k you mean that a year, not in it's lifetime, if you don't have that don't buy the car, Ferrari and Maserati service the cars whether you have mileage on them or not, check the service intervals and prices, for what they charge you might as well buy a 7 series, at least that is what I would do.

I look at these car in 2 ways, 1st they are the most overpriced buckets of crap I have ever seen, it's true what they say about a car, the more expensive it is the more it breaks down, and more it cost to repair, nothing like seeing these expensive exotics with constant leaks, but it's normal, but they all don't do it, famous words repeated over and over by area reps.

2nd, awesome cars that do awesome things, but I can't believe how much money people have to own these things, the smart people who own these things have money or people working for them

Don't forget, tires, gas, insurance, brakes professional detailing
Old 12-07-09, 04:01 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
By 50k you mean that a year, not in it's lifetime, if you don't have that don't buy the car, Ferrari and Maserati service the cars whether you have mileage on them or not, check the service intervals and prices, for what they charge you might as well buy a 7 series, at least that is what I would do.
I HIGHLY doubt you need 50k PER YEAR just to own a 130k Maserati.

Gotta love the people who just have to say the things in bold.

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I look at these car in 2 ways, 1st they are the most overpriced buckets of crap I have ever seen, it's true what they say about a car, the more expensive it is the more it breaks down, and more it cost to repair, nothing like seeing these expensive exotics with constant leaks, but it's normal, but they all don't do it, famous words repeated over and over by area reps.

2nd, awesome cars that do awesome things, but I can't believe how much money people have to own these things, the smart people who own these things have money or people working for them

Don't forget, tires, gas, insurance, brakes professional detailing

Ferraris and Maseratis are overpriced buckets of crap? Many many many smart wealthy people disagree.

What do you suggest a Ferrari sell for? 75k?
Old 12-07-09, 09:44 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just call ur local maserati service dept...
Old 12-07-09, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,388 Posts

bend over....
Old 12-07-09, 10:48 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd own a Porsche over a Ferrari or a Lambo anyday. Nothing like German engineering - as much as I pan them

Quick Reply: What are the costs associated with owning a Maserati?