Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

October 2009 Official Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 12:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
I don't think the Genesis and RL get cross shopped because no one is shopping for the RL
I agree here. I think we all can agree the Genesis is a segment crasher and is cross shopped with a large variety of vehicles.

At this point, it is clear the car is not selling.

Old 11-09-09, 08:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Just noticed the Panamera sales. First month on sale, and not a bad showing for a 90K plus vehicle that everyone seems to hate. 360 sold. I expect to see that number increase once more vehicles are available.
Old 11-09-09, 08:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Just noticed the Panamera sales. First month on sale, and not a bad showing for a 90K plus vehicle that everyone seems to hate. 360 sold. I expect to see that number increase once more vehicles are available.
& I don't think they started selling them until the second half of the month ? ......
Old 11-09-09, 08:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
& I don't think they started selling them until the second half of the month ? ......
It starts at what 90k? What is a tremendous month. Will they keep it up for a few years though, that is the question.

Old 11-09-09, 08:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just saw a Panamera on the streets yesterday here in SoCal...
Old 11-09-09, 10:08 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
I just saw a Panamera on the streets yesterday here in SoCal...
Saw one today, as well here in Vancouver, BC. Doesn't look as bad as the pics, but the rear is still pretty brutal.
Old 11-10-09, 04:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree here. I think we all can agree the Genesis is a segment crasher and is cross shopped with a large variety of vehicles.

At this point, it is clear the car is not selling.
I live in the NYC metro area and haven't seen a Genesis on the road in over a month if not longer.I've only seem maybe 2-3 on the road since the car has been sold.
Old 11-10-09, 10:15 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Assumption, based on common sense.

Yes, the Genesis coupe and sedan are the best thing since sliced bread, and they are monumental products for Hyundai, we get it .

we are friggin talkin about hyundai for godsakes. just think about it. v8 RWD from korea? are you kidding me? sales success or not, it's the greatest thing ever happened to hyundai and korean cars. i drove 1996 hyundai sonata when i was in high school and i thought hyundai would go bankrupt before new millenium. it was ****ty car. lasted 115k, but it was a ****ty ride, ****ty everything. compare that to 96 accord or camry, it was pure garbage.

things are changed. and hyundai is on a role. seriously genesis is the start of the new era. that's why they named it genesis. both cars really are monumental, perception changing products for hyundai. slow sales doesn't mean it's a failure IMO. samsung had a slow sales compared to sony, but look what happened 16 years later.

genesis is probably the most significant car for a company. i really can't think of any other cars maybe except prius. genesis put hyundai on the map and now we all know hyundai will be the player in the car industry. even toyota president admits that.
Old 11-10-09, 12:34 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 683 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by lex-phil
Saw one today, as well here in Vancouver, BC. Doesn't look as bad as the pics, but the rear is still pretty brutal.
Agreed. I saw one on the road on Saturday and my reaction was as follows.

Front: ooooo
Side: ahhhh
Rear: oh.
Old 11-10-09, 12:38 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
Agreed. I saw one on the road on Saturday and my reaction was as follows.

Front: ooooo
Side: ahhhh
Rear: oh.
Side = ahhhh?

Side is the worst IMHO, since you can see the line of the humpback in its fullest glory.

It looks great in the front indeed though.
Old 11-10-09, 02:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Side = ahhhh?

Side is the worst IMHO, since you can see the line of the humpback in its fullest glory.

It looks great in the front indeed though.
Wow, $90K+ for a car that only looks good from the front.

I've seen one at the dealer and one on the street so far.

I'm curious if they can sustain the current sales rate.
Old 11-10-09, 09:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
we are friggin talkin about hyundai for godsakes. just think about it. v8 RWD from korea? are you kidding me? sales success or not, it's the greatest thing ever happened to hyundai and korean cars. i drove 1996 hyundai sonata when i was in high school and i thought hyundai would go bankrupt before new millenium. it was ****ty car. lasted 115k, but it was a ****ty ride, ****ty everything. compare that to 96 accord or camry, it was pure garbage.

things are changed. and hyundai is on a role. seriously genesis is the start of the new era. that's why they named it genesis. both cars really are monumental, perception changing products for hyundai. slow sales doesn't mean it's a failure IMO. samsung had a slow sales compared to sony, but look what happened 16 years later.

genesis is probably the most significant car for a company. i really can't think of any other cars maybe except prius. genesis put hyundai on the map and now we all know hyundai will be the player in the car industry. even toyota president admits that.
I can agree with this. It might not be selling as strongly as they hoped, but it does not make it a bad car or a failure. I applaud Hyundai for building it. They have a bright future.
Old 11-10-09, 11:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg
I can agree with this. It might not be selling as strongly as they hoped, but it does not make it a bad car or a failure. I applaud Hyundai for building it. They have a bright future.
True true, I think some of us lost sight of that....they at least had the ***** to produce it, unlike some others (cough cough, won't mention beaks...err names)

Old 11-10-09, 11:57 PM
LexFather

AOL List of the 15 best selling luxury sedans last month...ALL classes,

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/best-se...g-luxury-cars#

ES 3rd, IS 5th....looks like a sedan ranking

Old 11-11-09, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
AOL List of the 15 best selling luxury sedans last month...ALL classes,

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/best-se...g-luxury-cars#

ES 3rd, IS 5th....looks like a sedan ranking
They included the coupes too for 3-series and E-class but not for the G37

Also, they included the Avalon, Chrysler 300 & the Buick in the list, so it's based on price range, not brand ...

Quick Reply: October 2009 Official Sales Thread