Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

October 2009 Official Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 05:39 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its clear the hybrid for "everyone" is not being bought by "everyone". The much more expensive HS and RX are selling almost as well.
I've been saying from the beginning that the Insight wasn't going to sell. It's labeled as a cheaper alternative to the Prius but it's only 3K cheaper and it's gas mileage is 10 mpg worse. Over time the Prius would end up being cheaper.

As for the HS, it's still not making sales goals, and I feel Lexus went too conservative with it's styling (although they should have toned the grille down).
Old 11-03-09, 05:41 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
All the Genesis fans and those who were hyping it seem to have gone silent now.
As well as those people who were hyping about this is BMW's year to overtake Lexus in the sales crown...

Old 11-03-09, 05:51 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by [B
Hybrids[/B]
Prius- 13,496
Insight- 1,739
RX 450h-1,567
HS 250h- 1,527
Civic hybrid- 239
GS 450h/LS 600h L- 60

Lol at GS/LS 450H/L.
It is also a good sign that people are at least getting less dumb and not falling for that marketing BS.
Old 11-03-09, 05:57 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome job for Subaru, the sales increase for them continues.

All the Genesis fans and those who were hyping it seem to have gone silent now.
americans aren't ready to spend 40k for hyundai yet. before coupe arrived genesis sedan was selling 1000-1150.

clearly genesis is not a volume seller. you guys should've figured it out last year.
Old 11-03-09, 05:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I've been saying from the beginning that the Insight wasn't going to sell. It's labeled as a cheaper alternative to the Prius but it's only 3K cheaper and it's gas mileage is 10 mpg worse. Over time the Prius would end up being cheaper.

As for the HS, it's still not making sales goals, and I feel Lexus went too conservative with it's styling (although they should have toned the grille down).
You should check your facts. HS is selling like hot cakes in Japan, waiting lists are several months long. HS is completely capacity-limited at this point, and North America is only getting a limited amount of HS models so far because most of them are currently allocated for the Japanese market.
Old 11-03-09, 06:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 212 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Porsche Reports October Sales

ATLANTA - November 3, 2009: Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of Porsche sports cars, Cayenne SUVs and the Panamera Gran Turismo in the United States, today announced October sales in the U.S. of 1,642 units compared to the same period last year when it sold 1,427, up 15 percent. This marks the third consecutive month that PCNA has recorded an increase in year-over-year sales from 2008.

On sale for only about two weeks, Porsche’s new four-door Panamera has already recorded sales of 360.

“The market launch of the Panamera was October 17, so the number is encouraging,” said PCNA President and CEO, Detlev von Platen. “Just as importantly, we expect the Panamera to bring additional momentum to our dealerships that will benefit our entire model line.”

Also notable for October were sales of the German automaker’s mid-engine sports cars, the Boxster and Cayman, with 271 units sold compared to 153 the year prior, a 77 percent increase.

Porsche’s overall year-to-date sales in 2009 are 15,952 compared to the same period last year when sales were 22,503, a decrease of 29 percent.

For the month, Porsche’s Approved Certified Pre-Owned vehicle sales were 548, compared to 389 for the same month last year, a 41 percent increase.
Attached Thumbnails October 2009 Official Sales Thread-zzzporscheoct09.jpg  
Old 11-03-09, 06:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
it's still too early to spend 35K+ for hyundai. coupe is not selling well because it's going against american muscle. since last year most ever hyundai sold was 2300 together. before coupe arrived genesis sedan was selling 1000-1150.

clearly genesis is not a volume seller.
Really ? Many people here on CL, and on other forums earlier this year and last year were greatly hyping the Genesis sedan and the coupe. A lot of people were hyping the Genesis to sell at Lexus ES volumes.

Genesis sales are nowhere close to Hyundai's sales goals in the US.

Given the HUGE amount of hype that surrounded the Genesis, and Hyundai's own sales goals, the Genesis has clearly turned out to be a sales failure.

If the Genesis "is not a volume seller", and by Hyundai's own admission the Equus is not a volume seller, what exactly is a volume seller ? How many times can this excuse be applied? Where do you draw the line? Is the Azera "not a volume seller" too? How about the Veracruz? Fact is, those are volume sellers but they have failed miserably sales-wise.

Saying "the Genesis is not a volume seller" is a weak excuse to cover up the fact that the Hyundai brand simply CANNOT support a car with the price range of the Genesis sedan in the North American market. The Hyundai brand has nowhere near the image and reputation to support any sort of volume sales of a car like the Genesis sedan.

Hyundai themselves intended for the Genesis sedan and coupe to both be volume sellers, with their sales goals as the proof.

You got one thing right for sure though, the Hyundai brand just can't support a $35K+ car in the North American market, and Hyundai should have known that before releasing the Genesis here.
Old 11-03-09, 06:07 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The goal was 50k for Genesis sedans and coupes. I really really REALLY hope the public is giving these vehicles a shot. Selling 1800 a month of both is more than 1/2 that goal
i think hyundai always make an impossible goal. i remember their goal for sonata was like 150k when 06 model came out.

it's shame because people still look down on hyundai as a brand. those who took time to test drive and gave hyundai a shot were very impressed by genesis. but it's hard for people to spend 40k on hyundai when they can just buy a luxury brand.
Old 11-03-09, 06:27 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

You should check your facts. HS is selling like hot cakes in Japan, waiting lists are several months long. HS is completely capacity-limited at this point, and North America is only getting a limited amount of HS models so far because most of them are currently allocated for the Japanese market.
Yes I am aware of that, and I'm also aware that the HS is the number one selling Lexus in Japan now. I guess I presumed that the initial production shortfalls had been taken care of to allow for a higher capacity of shipment to the US. Aside, from that I stand by my statement that the HS is too conservatively styled, but time will tell as far as it's sales are concerned.
Old 11-03-09, 06:29 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joe80
but it's hard for people to spend 40k on hyundai when they can just buy a luxury brand.
And that's the Genesis's whole problem. If Hyundai made a luxury brand spinoff then I think Lexus, BMW, Mercedes etc. would have really had problems, but as it stands now the Genesis is no threat to the established luxury brands.
Old 11-03-09, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Lol at GS/LS 450H/L.
It is also a good sign that people are at least getting less dumb and not falling for that marketing BS.
They are both special order now and again never were volume cars. My 450h is faster, quieter, more efficient with more tech than my 01 430.

Old 11-03-09, 06:40 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Really ? Many people here on CL, and on other forums earlier this year and last year were greatly hyping the Genesis sedan and the coupe. A lot of people were hyping the Genesis to sell at Lexus ES volumes.

Genesis sales are nowhere close to Hyundai's sales goals in the US.

Given the HUGE amount of hype that surrounded the Genesis, and Hyundai's own sales goals, the Genesis has clearly turned out to be a sales failure.

If the Genesis "is not a volume seller", and by Hyundai's own admission the Equus is not a volume seller, what exactly is a volume seller ? How many times can this excuse be applied? Where do you draw the line? Is the Azera "not a volume seller" too? How about the Veracruz? Fact is, those are volume sellers but they have failed miserably sales-wise.

Saying "the Genesis is not a volume seller" is a weak excuse to cover up the fact that the Hyundai brand simply CANNOT support a car with the price range of the Genesis sedan in the North American market. The Hyundai brand has nowhere near the image and reputation to support any sort of volume sales of a car like the Genesis sedan.

Hyundai themselves intended for the Genesis sedan and coupe to both be volume sellers, with their sales goals as the proof.

You got one thing right for sure though, the Hyundai brand just can't support a $35K+ car in the North American market, and Hyundai should have known that before releasing the Genesis here.

alot of people who considered buying genesis are worried about pulling up to the party or getting laughed at by their friends who drives luxury cars, but on a positive side, genesis is helping the brand itself. and it's a great marketing tool IMO. hyundai's #1 goal is to fix their perception and they are doing that. I thought it was better to introduce Genesis as a hyundai rather than spend billions in launching a new brand which is not only risky, but may not have an effect on the mother brand. it's the best possible way to make hyundai a legit competitor to honda and toyota.

check this website, majority of the article is about genesis and coupe.
http://www.hyundaimomentum.com

just think about this fact. 10 years ago, hyundai was a joke. 10 years later, they are making great friggin cars. no doubt in my mind that hyundai will pass nissan in sales before 2015. you can't deny hyundai is still on the relentless rise thanks to Genesis and many great cars. the fact that many of us are even talkin about hyundai in a lexus forum is a proof.
Old 11-03-09, 06:42 PM
LexFather

Welcome to clublexus CJ!

I love both genesis's but the bottom line is they expected to sell 50k of both and its not even close

in all honesty I want them to sell! Hyundai needs to step up with more effective marketing!

Old 11-03-09, 06:51 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

and the fact that they are bringing 50k+ Equus proves that they are doing this for HYUNDAI, the brand.
Old 11-03-09, 06:55 PM
LexFather

The crazy thing is they probably still r very profitable just based on exchange
rate.

Quick Reply: October 2009 Official Sales Thread