Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Blew my R8 engine.......AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 08:59 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm extremely surprised by this. The 4.2 FSI is supposed to be bulletproof. It has been tested and tried in many of Audi's cars... it is about as widespread as the 2.0 TFSI, which is a very reliable engine. However, you're not the first to have experienced massive engine failure... but two in a row?
Old 11-02-09, 09:04 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
This is going to turn me off to Audi more. I knew the older Audis were unreliable but I guess nothings changed but the date. No matter how much you love a car or how well it performs , this will turn you the hell off. 2 engines??? when was the last time you heard anything like that from a Japanese manufacturer. Now that I think of it I don't even think I would expect 2 blown engines from an American manufacturer
There are plenty of blown rotaries from Mazda, and blown up Toyota Tundra engines when they first came out. A lot of Dodge engine failures to be accounted for, especially from the Durango and the late Stratus.
Old 11-02-09, 10:09 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I'm extremely surprised by this. The 4.2 FSI is supposed to be bulletproof. It has been tested and tried in many of Audi's cars... it is about as widespread as the 2.0 TFSI, which is a very reliable engine. However, you're not the first to have experienced massive engine failure... but two in a row?
Thats what i thought too, but speaking with the head mechanic at the dealership I was surprised to find out that 3 other cars have had major engine failure and 2 others had transmission failure and a third is showing symptoms of it, I dont know but im guessing these cars realy cant handle this weather we have hear in kuwait with the constant dust storms, could be a bad filteration system or something......ironicly we have alot of lambo's here with no problems at all....
Old 11-02-09, 10:12 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Wow.....sorry to hear that get a V10.....
Old 11-02-09, 10:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

First off, there are always two sides to every story. Have you raced? What aftermaket things have you done to the car? What has the dealer said after inspecting everything? It's not just a matter of, "my car broke, I want this or that." The dealer and manufacturer needs to see and investigate this.
If all pans out legit, I'd make them get me a new car. Or at this point, I'd likely not want another R8. The fact that you want another, but with a bigger engine, scares me a little.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-02-09, 11:11 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Superior German Engineering at its best! Why have the engine replaced if it's a sure shot it'll blow up again? Quit wasting your time and get something much more reliable. The R8 is a beautiful car and it looks fast standing still, but that's all it has going for it.
Old 11-02-09, 11:58 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Superior German Engineering at its best! Why have the engine replaced if it's a sure shot it'll blow up again? Quit wasting your time and get something much more reliable. The R8 is a beautiful car and it looks fast standing still, but that's all it has going for it.
Again, we hardly have any context to this issue at all. IMO you can't make blanket statements like the ones above w/out more behind this. The 4.2FSI engine has been used for years in a number of Audi vehicles, including mass market ones.
Old 11-03-09, 01:18 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
First off, there are always two sides to every story. Have you raced? What aftermaket things have you done to the car? What has the dealer said after inspecting everything? It's not just a matter of, "my car broke, I want this or that." The dealer and manufacturer needs to see and investigate this.
If all pans out legit, I'd make them get me a new car. Or at this point, I'd likely not want another R8. The fact that you want another, but with a bigger engine, scares me a little.
Good luck and keep us posted.
I have done 2 track days on my FIRST engine and audi knew about it, they were simple track days and not a race, and for modifications the only thing done to it is a stasis exhaust, which the dealer installed for me, Stasis itself is sold throught dealerships in the US ( kinda like dinan for BMW ) and my dealer honored my warrenty with the exhaust installed since they installed it themselves......honestly the only reason I want another R8 is because the car is that good even with all the issues Im having, and the V10 is just a better version of it, I truly do love this car you cannot realy discard it till you have tried it on and off the track, thats when you realy appreciate it
Old 11-03-09, 06:46 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i wouldnt discount the 4.2FSI engine right away since that engine has been used in many models before like the RS4

but hope you get a nice chunk of credit towards the V10
Old 11-03-09, 07:45 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Did you have to pay anything to replace the engine either time? If not, just let them replace it again. #3. Then after that complain a little more.
Old 11-03-09, 09:31 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

What is it with that freaking motor!!!! My brother in law blew his 4.2L in his S4 twice.......
Old 11-03-09, 11:44 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 4.2L Audi V8 has been around for a while, could it be the the FSI version is dramatically different than the Motronic/KE-Jetronic version in the fact that direct injection requires a cam-operated fuel pump? There's also been reports or hearsay that VW's having cam follower issues on the 2.0FSI as well.

And to add to that list of engine failures, let's just say GM is still having piston slap issues on the Vortec V8s and intake manifold gasket failures on their OHV V6s due to Dex-Cool eating the gaskets. Ford had some teething issues with a nylon intake manifold.
Old 11-03-09, 12:33 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont care it blows out 100 times still love me some R8...
Old 11-03-09, 12:47 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Sounds like the 4.2FSI engine has a common issue... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1325647
Old 11-03-09, 01:00 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Sounds like the 4.2FSI engine has a common issue... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1325647
Carbon build up behind the intake valves is a common with all direct injection engines.
The problem is that, with a direct injection system, the fuel is introduce in the combusion chamber, therefore the detergent in the gas cannot get behind teh vlaves to clean that area like a regular fuel injected engine. The exception is the Lexus direct injection engines, which use both direct and port injections.

Quick Reply: Blew my R8 engine.......AGAIN