Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New entry-level Porsche revealed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 10:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgear
god, i hope they stop making the panamera, it is nothing but ugliness and hideousness
There is talk by some of the new Porsche ownership and leaders that the Panamera will be canceled after this production run and possibly the Cayanne will be drastically changed to something much smaller and lighter if not killed also. Many VW higher ups and some Porsche higher ups want Porsche just to go back to concentrating on 2 door GT/sports cars and not SUVs and sedans.
Old 10-28-09, 10:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
There is talk by some of the new Porsche ownership and leaders that the Panamera will be canceled after this production run and possibly the Cayanne will be drastically changed to something much smaller and lighter if not killed also. Many VW higher ups and some Porsche higher ups want Porsche just to go back to concentrating on 2 door GT/sports cars and not SUVs and sedans.
As a frequent Porsche-owner, I think above views are shared by many Porsche enthusiasts. Of course the final decisions must balance business profits and realities with the desires of the purists/buyers.
Old 10-28-09, 10:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
As a frequent Porsche-owner, I think above views are shared by many Porsche enthusiasts. Of course the final decisions must balance business profits and realities with the desires of the purists/buyers.
I think it is a good decision too, let VW and Audi build the sedans(more correctly station wagons in the Panameras case) and SUVs so Porsche can concentrate on what they do best which is sports cars/GT cars.
Old 10-28-09, 11:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^ Only problem is that these sentiments are not concurrent with the things we have heard from VW, who is seeking to become as efficient and economical as Toyota. Therefore, I predict that VW is going to continue to dive into the Porsche product portfolio, badge engineer, and part share in an effort to justify the purchase.

Makes sense but it's just sad to see.

On another note...I saw a Panamera in person today (Porsche N.A. headquarters are here in Alpharetta) and it quite honestly looks like an elongated melting jelly bean. Gross.
Old 10-28-09, 11:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

On another note...I saw a Panamera in person today (Porsche N.A. headquarters are here in Alpharetta) and it quite honestly looks like an elongated melting jelly bean. Gross.
I saw it last week at dealer near my office and had same observation, not good. The ugly dirt-silver color and ugly OEM 20" wheels weren't helping either.
Old 10-28-09, 11:28 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If VW intends for Porsche to become a mainstream luxury brand, this is not good news at all .

I hope VW makes the right choice and keeps Porsche strictly in their upmarket performance niche.
Old 10-28-09, 01:15 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
In this months Automobile magazine, this is what they reported, too.
Old 10-28-09, 01:21 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Saw a Panamera at the country club and it's quite honestly a beauty. LOW as a flippin; 911, gorgeous curves, and the interior...work of art and definitely not mainstream a la Lexus, mercedes, etc. Very creative car with lots of personality and soul.
Old 10-28-09, 01:21 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

VW is busy...
Old 10-28-09, 01:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

we will need to wait and see how many of these vehicles will be killed or cancelled by VW now that its controls Porsche. I have read in a auto magazine that VW plans to kill the Panamera and Cayanne after 7 years. I was surprised to hear this considering at one point the Cayanne was the best selling Porsche. I do think a 928 successor would be cool as hell
Old 10-28-09, 01:55 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a surprise; it looks like the boxster which looks like the cayman which looks like the panamera which looks like the 911 ....

Those Porsche designers are really pushing the limits of design creativity.
Old 10-28-09, 02:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the Porsche design team should be shot in a public square for their total and complete lack of vision and talent. They probably sent the stylists to the engineering side. Porsche makes more money on its patents than most car companies so its all engineering there. As stagnant as the design is the cars are in some cases actually over engineered
Old 10-28-09, 02:55 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

sad to look at that list and direction the company is going.
Old 10-28-09, 06:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
What a surprise; it looks like the boxster which looks like the cayman which looks like the panamera which looks like the 911 ....

Those Porsche designers are really pushing the limits of design creativity.
I don't understand why Porsche tries to make every vehicle they sell look like a 911, especially a SUV for gods sake. The Boxster is the worst offender and comes off like a 6/10s Porsche 911 instead of a totally different model because it has so many 911 styling ques and an almost identical interior. I liked the way Porsche did things in the 80's and 90's where the 911, 944, 928, 968 had unique looks and the 944 and 928 did not resemble the 911 but had their own styling.
Old 10-28-09, 07:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by newr
sad to look at that list and direction the company is going.
seriously....that is why I wanted Porsche in control and not VW....

Quick Reply: New entry-level Porsche revealed