Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M/T Top Ten Driving Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 06:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yeah, it fun until some soccer mom in a minivan blows you away
LMFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hope you realize what you've just posted
Old 08-21-09, 06:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Elise (and presumably the Exige) is simply too small a car for even an average American-sized adult. It is almost impossible to get in and out of one. I am 6' 2"", 265 lb. (somewhat larger than average), and you should have seen me trying to shoehorn myself into a tiny Elise when I reviewed one in August of '07. The salesman laughed, and didn't think I could do it. It took me some time, and some pretzel-like gyrations, but I did......and I even managed to drive it. (Don't even ask me how I got OUT) But I would never consider buying one.
so you're saying you fit in an MX-5 with no issues ??

Last edited by bagwell; 08-21-09 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 06:36 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B Dot
yea and 3rd place at that they shouldve put the M3 in there and left the 135i wherever they found it lol
HUGE +1!!! M3 not on the list is sacrilege!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rdgdawg; 08-21-09 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 08:53 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do have to say the Miata is not anywhere near a HP moster, but I got to drive one for about 3 weeks (My brother in laws old car) and it was a blast to drive. I haven't driven all those cars on the list or all the exotic cars, but in my own experience the Miata was the 2nd most fun car to drive that I have owned next to the NSX. I'm actually surprised the NSX is not on the list but I guess they are ranking current cars. Still though, not surprised the fist two on the list are mid engined cars. Mid engined cars just give you a totally different driving feel over any font engine RWD car.
Old 08-21-09, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
so you're saying you fit in an MX-5 with no issues ??
The newer ones, yes, no problem. The older ones were a little cramped.
Old 08-21-09, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So what? Miatas aren't designed to be dragsters. The payoff for Miata drivers comes when it's time to take to the twisties. Some minivans, under those conditions, would flip over on their roofs.
Old 08-21-09, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
. Mid engined cars just give you a totally different driving feel over any font engine RWD car.
Yes, mid-engined cars can be a blast in the twisties, but, on a straight road or Interstate, their lightness on the front end and engine weight back behind the driver can make them a little darty in the steering and unstable in the tracking department. A number of Toyota MR2's I've tried, for example, tend to wander left and right on a straight road, particularly in crosswinds. You're constantly twitching the steering wheel while trying to stay in the center of the lane. The Porsche Boxster shows a little of this, but not as much, as it is designed for generally higher speeds than an MR2.
Old 08-21-09, 07:45 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why is no one mentioning the GT-R... definitely Numero Uno...
Old 08-21-09, 10:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree I think its lame that te GTR is not on the list. They keep saying stupid **** like its just " to good", its" artificial". To good or artificial my ***. It will blow every car on the list out of the water in every performance category you can create
Old 08-21-09, 11:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B Dot
yea and 3rd place at that they shouldve put the M3 in there and left the 135i wherever they found it lol
compare to camaro SS (their #10), M3 drives like a boat. I can see why it's not on there.
Old 08-22-09, 05:33 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STIG
compare to camaro SS (their #10), M3 drives like a boat. I can see why it's not on there.
With all respect, I beg to differ... drove at Road America last weekend in an M3 SEDAN and I'm NOT an experienced circuit driver... a couple Camaros (and an SS) were out there... couldn't even keep up in the straightaways let alone twisties... must've been a granny driving...
Old 08-22-09, 05:45 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Well, the 6'-5" Clarkson seems to love cars like Miata, S2000 and Elise - I never heard him complain about lack of space. I have no idea how he fits into these, I'm pretty close to his height at 6'-4", but I'm fat so that doesnt help
This guy owns an Elise, 6'6". He has had it for years now.

I like to think of the ingress/egress as a test. The rewards are the handling and driving experience of the Elise/Exige. Its not for everyone and the difficulties of getting in and out are worth it to some.
Old 08-22-09, 05:51 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Never mind Clarksen. Have YOU seen an Elise...or tried to get in or out? If not, you can't really imagine just how small.....and cramped......the car is. Its mid-engine design makes it even more cramped inside.

I got to stop these type of misleading comments.

Technique counts for a lot of the ingress/egress into these sportscars.

another angle:

Had a buddy who is a 6'4" guy get in the car, he was amazed how spacious it was inside.
Its not an everyday car although I know owners who do use theirs as daily drivers. The extra work it takes to get in and out reminds one of the different type of car they are about to drive.

the person who is 6'6" pictured in the previous post claims he can get in and out nearly as well as this smaller guy. Its all technique.

Last edited by goelise; 08-22-09 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 06:12 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Yes, mid-engined cars can be a blast in the twisties, but, on a straight road or Interstate, their lightness on the front end and engine weight back behind the driver can make them a little darty in the steering and unstable in the tracking department. A number of Toyota MR2's I've tried, for example, tend to wander left and right on a straight road, particularly in crosswinds. You're constantly twitching the steering wheel while trying to stay in the center of the lane. The Porsche Boxster shows a little of this, but not as much, as it is designed for generally higher speeds than an MR2.
Mid engined cars want to rotate and perhaps this is what your feeing. Driving my Elise and other friend's Mid Engined cars on the straights or Interstate I would not call this trait darty or unstable. Actually its the effect of the car providing feedback to the driver as to what exactly the car is doing and not muted like other cars. It is the car following what the road gives it and it's providing driver feedback. Drive a car at speed and one appreciates this trait.

I beg to differ that a P car like the Boxster is designed for higher speeds than the venerable MR2.

I think the MR2/ Miata can be in the list.
Old 08-22-09, 06:21 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the MX-5 might be the best bang for the buck on the list.

Quick Reply: M/T Top Ten Driving Cars