Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vinyl interiors on new E Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 06:10 AM
amdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And how is this any less arrogant or douche like? Whatever big spender.
Clearly, the whole point of my post went right over your head. I have nothing to prove - my statement was more to clarify that many Lexus owners could easily afford one of the Germans if they wished, but picked Lexus instead.
Old 08-13-09, 06:16 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
40 years of bad marketing just compounds the same error 40 times. For instance, if I tell a police officer I've been running the same red light for 40 years and never got caught, that doesn't justify what I'm doing.

M-B Tex is FINE if they want to use it for the family kids and pets, but, then, in cars that cost what a new Mercedes does, DON'T charge extra for real leather. That is an insult now, was in the 60's, and will be 40 years from now.

(I'm not trying to be rude here, so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not hitting on you personally, just M-B's silly marketing, like also with the extra-cost metallic paint)

I personally don't see it as an insult. They're giving consumers a choice. If I were in the market for a new E class I could care less if the seats were cloth, MB-Tex or real leather. It's not an issue to me and I seriously doubt the issue of real leather is an issue at all to many people shopping for a European luxury car. These brands have a certain appeal, one that ranges beyond what is found inside the cabin.

Besides, real leather in a Mercedes costs what? $ 1,500 extra? That's nothing to someone who is seriously considering a Mercedes in the first place. And if it is, then these people have the right to go to another brand where they can find themselves a better deal.

The bottom line is that MB-Tex works and many people seem to prefer it to real leather. That's the verdict. It works, it sells and it looks good. If someone wants a Mercedes and real leather, fork over $ 1,500. That's peanuts here when you're looking at the big picture.

I've personally never seen the allure of leather, even in luxury cars. We sit on it and we barely notice it once we are behind the wheel. And when it gets dirty we complain about the cleaning aspect. Leather? I don't need it, personally. That's the allure of MB-Tex. Ok, I think we've already established that.
Old 08-13-09, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Certainly poor examples if you are talking about Mercedes and BMW. Good examples if you are talking about bankrupt GM. Have no idea what the police officer quip is about.
The police officer and red-light-running comparison was meant to be a metaphor showing that just because something is done for 40 years, that doesn't necessarily make it correct...or a good idea. For example, you yourself said, in a post on another thread, that you didn't the like too-soft chassis/steering and sloppy handling of years ago, even though some carmakers (like Buick) persisted with that for decades. I used my comparison to address the fact that vinyl/M-B Tex interiors have been used, as the poster noted, for some 40 years, and I thought it was just as bad an idea back then as now. It's not the fact that the synthetic materials ARE (or were) offered that I thought was silly, but the fact that with cars costing what an M-B does, you have to pay extra for the real stuff. And, NOW, even when you DO get real leather, it is not smooth, plush leather, unless you go up to an AMG or S-Class model. Same with Audi and BMW.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-09 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-13-09, 06:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I pretty much disagree with everything you just said DustinV. MB's goal with MB-TEX is not giving consumers more choices, it is cost cutting without increasing the price. What if they give you a choice of plastic wood or rubber flooring, would that be a good thing too? Both of those items will wear better than real wood panles or carpets, so I guess MB is doing us a favor. Like I have already said, you cannot jsut add $1500 and buy a base E-class with leather, it is grouped in with some very expensive options.
Old 08-13-09, 06:31 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Did you just write that? PWI? The RX created the luxury SUV and is the "NEW" Family friendly vehicle. What on EARTH on you talking about? How is a Lexus not family friendly? You somehow have figured over 3 million Lexus sedan owners don't take long journeys or trips? What??
Did you miss my sentence where I said "except for their SUVs"? That clearly hints that their SUVs have a more family friendly image than their sedans.

And I think my personal perception about this issue is justified. My sister drives an IS. Aside from being sporty and well-equipped there's nothing really impressive about it. It's small and cramped. For a young couple with two small kids this might be ok but when those kids grow up it's time to move up to a GS - whoops, that thing also feels like a sardine can in the rear.

Get my gist? The A4/C and A6/E outclass the IS and GS in this regard with their bigger interior space (and thus the resulting better comfort I suppose). That's what "family friendliness" means to me.

If you want to continue to paint an entire forum, your stay will become a short one. How can you say say opinions reek of immaturity simply b/c you disagree with it or are somehow insulted by it. Who is really the immature one here?
You heard me.

I get the feeling there is a lot of HATING going on here. Where's the objectivity here? It's lacking in some regards.

The GLK is voted last place by two magazines. Everyone here applauds giving no real reason why. If this were the Lexus RX there would be some serious complaining going on. Double standards? Maybe.

Oh, please the stats show your favorites brands are LEASED, not bought.
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08...cars/index.htm
Audi A4 68%
Audi A6 74.1%
BMW 7 series 85.3%
BMW X3 67.3%
BMW 6 series 68.6%
Saab 97x 82.2%
BMW Z4 70.7%
Mercedes Benz E class 70%
LandRover Range Rover 69.6%
Jaguar XJ 65.8%

Ah, I am being labeled as a "Euro fanboy" now. Interesting.

I've said often enough that I like and have an appreciation for all sorts of cars. I suppose you see me arguing and defending a lot of European cars on this board because of some of the nasty comments which seem to be flung at these cars for no other reason that hatred.

You would have a heart attack if you saw the amount of people that CHOSE a Lexus over the Germans/Jaguar BECAUSE THEY FEEL IT IS BETTER. If you look at MSRPs, Lexus has climbed and is HIGHER in many cases now. Lexus owners do like a value in getting an EQUAL or BETTER vehicle for a LESSER price. At worst you are getting a vehicle on par with the Euros. But please, continue the snobbery. Many people own/owned cars from all 3 brands. Sorry if you hate that.
So what's the problem exactly?

Brand alternation happens all the time. You have many owners who like to try new cars or find something about another brand interesting and alluring. There are Lexus customers who tire of their Lexus and go for either another Lexus, a European, Japanese or American premium badge and vice versa (German car owners going for something else). It happens all the time.

I know you're going to throw in the "Lexus has the best retention and brand loyalty rates" at me but there will always be people going for any of these cars. Bottom line: there's always a market.

Many Lexus owners probably also have a car from another make in their garage: European or Japanese or even American (hell, throw in Korean there as well). Club Lexus is not a reliable representation of the many other thousand Lexus owners out there at the moment.

Oh, and you should know by now that your European cars are overpriced for a number reasons. One of those reasons is status: you pay for the badge and what it stands for. Believe it or not but to a lot of people that is important.
Old 08-13-09, 06:42 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I pretty much disagree with everything you just said DustinV. MB's goal with MB-TEX is not giving consumers more choices, it is cost cutting without increasing the price. What if they give you a choice of plastic wood or rubber flooring, would that be a good thing too? Both of those items will wear better than real wood panles or carpets, so I guess MB is doing us a favor. Like I have already said, you cannot jsut add $1500 and buy a base E-class with leather, it is grouped in with some very expensive options.
What's the name of your inside man at MB who told you this?

Naturally, the goal of these companies is to make a profit. But at the same time they know their customers. Think about it. If the vast majority of MB customers are happy with MB-Tex, then what is the point of offering real leather? Real leather also costs money for the manufacturer, more than fake leather. It has to be grown (cows) and prepared and this process takes time and money.

Also, many Mercedes seem to be owned by large families with children and pets. There's automatically an advantage here for MB-Tex. If I were back in the US and someone actually gave me a Benz, hell, I'd sure as hell hope it has MB-Tex.

High-level MB models like the S class or AMGs cater to a different clientele altogether who probably expect real leather in the first place. The people shopping for an E or C class can in the peace of their heart and soul live with MB-Tex. Period.
Old 08-13-09, 07:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Did you miss my sentence where I said "except for their SUVs"? That clearly hints that their SUVs have a more family friendly image than their sedans.

And I think my personal perception about this issue is justified. My sister drives an IS. Aside from being sporty and well-equipped there's nothing really impressive about it. It's small and cramped. For a young couple with two small kids this might be ok but when those kids grow up it's time to move up to a GS - whoops, that thing also feels like a sardine can in the rear.

Get my gist? The A4/C and A6/E outclass the IS and GS in this regard with their bigger interior space (and thus the resulting better comfort I suppose). That's what "family friendliness" means to me.

Well, while the GS is smaller than E class in the back, the ES is very comparable.

As far as the IS vs the C, I think the C is even worse. Its has the most uncomfortable, violently cramped back seat with no space whatsoever. It may be bigger on paper, but the seating position makes it impossible for a tall adult to sit in the back seat if another tall adult is sitting on the front seat. In the IS its not as bad.

I get the feeling there is a lot of HATING going on here. Where's the objectivity here? It's lacking in some regards.

The GLK is voted last place by two magazines. Everyone here applauds giving no real reason why. If this were the Lexus RX there would be some serious complaining going on. Double standards? Maybe.
I dont think theres any hating. Its just that GLK is a useless cute ute with dreadful interior that is clearly not deserving of the MB badge. Its just a hateful car, like most cute useless utes, MB wannabe so to say, so no wonder people hate it.

I dont think you'll find much hate on this forum for MBs like SL55, CL600, etc. These are proper MBs.

And look at all the people bashing the dreadful HS250 before you bring up double standards.

Ah, I am being labeled as a "Euro fanboy" now. Interesting.

I've said often enough that I like and have an appreciation for all sorts of cars. I suppose you see me arguing and defending a lot of European cars on this board because of some of the nasty comments which seem to be flung at these cars for no other reason that hatred.
From your posts you seem to dislike Lexus very much, and always argue how the Yuropean cars are oh so much better. While some of the Yuropean cars are often better than Lexus in certain aspects, there are many aspects where Lexus is clearly better.

Afterall this is CAR CHAT, and we are here to discuss and argue about cars, and of course most of us are a little bit biased, and all of us have our own tastes and preferences. But dont forget now, that this is a primarily US forum dedicated to Lexus.

Oh, and you should know by now that your European cars are overpriced for a number reasons. One of those reasons is status: you pay for the badge and what it stands for. Believe it or not but to a lot of people that is important.
Thats why so many people lease them instead of buying.
Old 08-13-09, 07:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this thread has gone as far as it can go.

To those who complain, thank you for your thoughts.

But enough is enough.
Old 08-13-09, 07:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Think about it. If the vast majority of MB customers are happy with MB-Tex, then what is the point of offering real leather? Real leather also costs money for the manufacturer, more than fake leather. It has to be grown (cows) and prepared and this process takes time and money.
Well, I am glad you like vinyl in your $60000 car. MB would be happy they have customers like you who is willing to accept cheaper material for the sake of the MB stock holders. The fact is that most MB constomers want leathers in their E-class, thats why most of the dealer ships have MB-TEX all over the lot and leather equiped e350 are harder to find.
Old 08-13-09, 08:34 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by srashid

Also I asked about the big discounts on the 2009 E, and the best they were offering was about 8k off list.
8k off list is a joke. since there is 8K in factory trunk money, they are basically offering you the car at msrp! lol. btw, i got $21k off msrp on mine last month (e550). you should be getting similar deals.
Old 08-13-09, 09:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this redundant thread was closed already.