LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What is the difference in the semi aniline leather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 07:12 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default What is the difference in the semi aniline leather?

Everyone suggests getting the semi aniline leather interior option but I'm not seeing what the difference is with or without it. Anyone have pictures they can show the difference?
Old 06-09-17, 08:12 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I had regular leather on my previous LS and have semi-aniline on the new car. Really can't tell any difference. I really don't know what the definition of semi-aniline leather is. Regular leather is surface dyed and had a polyurethane clearcoat on the top. Aniline leather his vat dyed all the way through. Semi-aniline leather? No idea.
Old 06-09-17, 08:33 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I would get the best leather possible as the 460's is not too hot in general. Or at least compared to the leather they used in the 430. Now that stuff is truly top notch.

Full-Aniline and Semi-Aniline Leather

Many people believe that the terms “premium select leather”, “full-aniline”, “fully-aniline” (often simply called aniline) and “semi-aniline” (sometimes referred as aniline plus leather) describe grades of leather. In reality, they are both high-quality full grain leather; the terms actually describe the type of dyeing and finishing that’s used, and how it affects the final look and feel of the leather. However, because only the most exquisite full-grain leathers are suitable for full-aniline treatment, aniline is indeed the highest level of leather upholstery.
Old 06-09-17, 11:32 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Unfortunately, the above description (".....the terms actually describe the type of dyeing and finishing that’s used.....") still doesn't tell me what semi-aniline leather is.

Old 06-09-17, 12:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

OK, I spent a while on Google and found what I think is the best description of Aniline and Semi-Aniline leather. For cars, it appears aniline would be too delicate a finish, hence the surface treatments.

"Semi-aniline leathers or aniline plus pigments (AP) are dyed in vats with aniline dyes that penetrate throughout the hide so that the color goes all the way through the hide. However, the processing of semi-aniline leathers is taken a few steps further. After the leather is aniline dyed, a pigment color is applied to the top of the hide to guarantee a consistent color on the top surface of the hide. Next, additional finishes may be applied to the leather by hand or by machine to impart an antique look or some other special effect. Finally, a clear protective coating is applied to make the leather stain repellant and sun resistant. The sheen of this protective coating can be varied to give a matte finish or a high gloss finish.

Likewise, pure aniline leathers (A) are dyed in vats with aniline dyes that penetrate throughout the hide so that the color permeates and goes all the way through the hide. However, neither a surface pigment color nor a protective coating is applied. A hand antique finish may be applied. Because pure aniline leather does not have a pigment color applied to its top surface, there will be variations in color throughout the hide's surface. Also, the lack of a protective coating makes this leather more susceptible to staining and fading."
Old 06-09-17, 01:03 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

In a perfect world I would not even have leather in a LS. The leather does not hold up long term and the only thing that is bad quality in my opinion. I would pick the imitation leather. That should still look better after twice as long.
Luxury cars need leather. But even with cloth material. You can keep them looking new twice as long.

Last edited by RR601; 05-21-20 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
samsonn25 (04-24-21)
Old 06-09-17, 01:23 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The major difference I noted after owning a 430 with semi-aniline and now a 460 without is that the semi-aniline wears much cleaner over time.
The colour remains more consistent and cracks look less like damage and more like... wear.
Semi-aniline wears with more character, if you will.

The semi-aniline also stands up to aggressive cleaning better.
Twice a year I would take a magic eraser to the ecru leather in my 430 with no problem.This would essentially sandpaper a super thin a layer off the surface, leaving the leather looking like new.
The leather in the 460 seems weak compared.
Old 06-09-17, 01:46 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

you took magic eraser on leather? I dont think thats a very good idea, this at certain point would end up damaging the leather. Semi leather seems more comfotable; not sure if its really is/ my LS has the regular stuff I guess and the rx has the semi; the seats feel much softer with the semi.

Originally Posted by dfkd
The major difference I noted after owning a 430 with semi-aniline and now a 460 without is that the semi-aniline wears much cleaner over time.
The colour remains more consistent and cracks look less like damage and more like... wear.
Semi-aniline wears with more character, if you will.

The semi-aniline also stands up to aggressive cleaning better.
Twice a year I would take a magic eraser to the ecru leather in my 430 with no problem.This would essentially sandpaper a super thin a layer off the surface, leaving the leather looking like new.
The leather in the 460 seems weak compared.
Old 06-09-17, 02:01 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
you took magic eraser on leather?
I did! Part of my spring and fall cleanup each year.
And for the whole 5 years I owned the car too.

The leather looked perfect in that 430 right up until a drunk driver wrote her off.
Even the armrest leather was in excellent condition on that car after 15 years.

Loved that car. Just not the old display interface...

On the '94 LS400 I had before that, I ended up replacing the leather on both front seats when they started cracking through.
That one was also about 17 years old at that point.
The rear seat leather was excellent except at the top where sun exposure is heaviest. Up there it got really hard but still looked good.
Old 06-09-17, 03:33 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

I am not particularly aggressive with my leather. Steam works really well for dirty areas. Good cleaning and conditioning once a month or so. My 430 also looked almost new when I sold it. Pretty much every 2 - 4 year old 460 I looked at showed more wear. My A8's leather is really nice too. Too bad Lexus changed this. I wonder if the 500 has better quality.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 06-09-17 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 05:46 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

alcantra leather in the ul 430's smells really nice btw
Old 06-09-17, 06:10 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Alcantara is a synthetic suede which Lexus use for headliners but I don't recall them ever using it in the seating surfaces(?)
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (06-09-17)
Old 06-10-17, 08:51 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Alcantara is a synthetic suede which Lexus use for headliners but I don't recall them ever using it in the seating surfaces(?)
Correct. But it is a nice headliner material.
Old 06-10-17, 01:44 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't remember if I read this or someone explained it, but when you get the semi-aniline leather, it covers the doors and armrests as well as the center console and seating areas, headrests and all areas that would normally have vinyl that are not seating areas.

My my understanding is it is also as good as the leather in a Rolls.

Cubby
Old 06-11-17, 01:39 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Is the leather in the LS F Sport the regular kind?

Quick Reply: What is the difference in the semi aniline leather?