Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Haters gonna hate.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As a new poster, welcome to CL and CAR CHAT. People aren't going to dislike you on this forum for driving a non-Lexus....the CAR CHAT forum is for talk about anything on four wheels (and sometimes two). Heck, we got moderators here who have non-Lexus and non-Toyota products. I do myself.

Nice GTI......but if you drive around with it sitting that low, don't you have to be very careful about potholes, ramps, and humps?

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-08-09 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 06:47 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P Weezy
Woow, that is cleeean man. No hate commin from this way
Thanks!

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Thanks for answering my question, much appreciated.

The look is great, IMO. I usually view staggered as jiving with where the power is put down (rear wheels for RWD). But I've seen many AWD SUV's and cars that I like with staggered setups

In the world of mod cars, (which many dabble in here too), we generally expect no increase in resale value as a result of mods, and usually expect it to hurt value. In fact many of us are prepared to return our cars back to a complete stock setup when time comes to sell.
No problem. I understand the resale value things. I plan on keeping the GTI until it leaves me stranded on the side of the road

However, multi-piece wheels such as these RS's, actually gain value the more work you put into them. The market determines the value and people who are really into wheels knows how much hard work (and money) you have to put into them to have them come out really unique and custom to the owners' tastes.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As a new poster, welcome to CL and CAR CHAT. People aren't going to dislike you on this forum for driving a non-Lexus....the CAR CHAT forum is for talk about anything on four wheels (and sometimes two). Heck, we got moderators here who have non-Lexus and non-Toyota products. I do myself.

Nice GTI......but if you drive around with it sitting that low, don't you have to be very careful about potholes, ramps, and humps?
Thanks guys! The hater thing was just a joke really. In the world of VW's, people hate on cars with BBS RS's (such as myself) and call them "played." It's funny, though, 99% of the people who "hate" on them have never built or owned a set of custom [multi-piece] wheels

I like it here already. People are appreciative of hard work.

Also, yes, I do have to be very careful. When I get into a GS, it will be driven almost at parked height.

I just finished putting them back together. Now for tires!

Old 08-08-09, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

nice car c4lvin.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You'll find that on CL most members have a true appreciation for nice vehicles...regardless of the badge.
except acura

I just finished putting them back together. Now for tires!

not sure i follow, i thought the rims are on the car? and the one on the right looks like it has a dent in the barrel?
Old 08-08-09, 08:21 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice car c4lvin.

except acura

not sure i follow, i thought the rims are on the car? and the one on the right looks like it has a dent in the barrel?

Nope, they are the same wheels as I pictured, but those are from when I rebuilt them the 2nd time to 8.5/9.5. Now I pulled the wheels off again and built them to 9/10.5.

No dent, just me going crazy with a wire wheel to get off some random silicone that dripped and dried there.
Old 08-08-09, 09:12 PM
Motil10108
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
Is that line referring to...

"Haters gonna hate, lovers wanna love; I don't even want, none of the above. I want to p*** on you. Yes I do, I'll p*** on you. I p** on you."

Man, this had me laughing so hard. Now it's time for the Chapelle remix.

How can you hate on that??? That VW is looking clean, very nice stance by the way.
Old 08-08-09, 09:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I like the wheels but I think you are going to like your GS a lot more than that VW. Come over to the dark side
Old 08-08-09, 09:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by c4lvin
Nope, they are the same wheels as I pictured, but those are from when I rebuilt them the 2nd time to 8.5/9.5. Now I pulled the wheels off again and built them to 9/10.5.

No dent, just me going crazy with a wire wheel to get off some random silicone that dripped and dried there.
you personally tore the barrels apart to make the rims wider??
Old 08-08-09, 10:14 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you personally tore the barrels apart to make the rims wider??
Wait, what? I'm not sure if I follow what you're asking lol.
Old 08-08-09, 11:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

However, multi-piece wheels such as these RS's, actually gain value the more work you put into them. The market determines the value and people who are really into wheels knows how much hard work (and money) you have to put into them to have them come out really unique and custom to the owners' tastes.

Nice hobby, with some real craftsmanship involved.
Old 08-09-09, 02:33 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait, what? I'm not sure if I follow what you're asking lol.
I think what he's asking is, "Did you widen the wheels yourself at home? " Are the the old school BBS mesh wheels made of steel or aluminum alloy? I can understand having the face bolted onto new wider barrels. Is that what you did? Or from the pictures and based on how the face and outer barrel are tilted (the bottom left wheel in the photo), it appears you actually cut the wheel splitting it in two. What is the black line in the center of the wheels? Are you widening them them by adding .5" in front and 1" in the back, then welding them back together? If these are not steel wheels, I've heard that widening aluminum alloy wheels by cutting and welding can cause potential dangers later while driving, mainly because of the warping that occurs during the welding process. Although very good welders can get it almost perfectly lined, the warping is difficult to avoid and almost undetectable to the naked eye. On something like car wheels, even being a few millimeters off can cause some very bad vibrations and even more catastrophic results. I hope this is not your situation.

My post is not to "hate," but I'm just concerned for your safety and the safety of other motorists. If this is not the case, then you don't have to worry. Other than that, welcome to CL and your GTI is already looking proper with the old setup and stance.
Old 08-09-09, 09:33 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I think what he's asking is, "Did you widen the wheels yourself at home? " Are the the old school BBS mesh wheels made of steel or aluminum alloy? I can understand having the face bolted onto new wider barrels. Is that what you did? Or from the pictures and based on how the face and outer barrel are tilted (the bottom left wheel in the photo), it appears you actually cut the wheel splitting it in two. What is the black line in the center of the wheels? Are you widening them them by adding .5" in front and 1" in the back, then welding them back together? If these are not steel wheels, I've heard that widening aluminum alloy wheels by cutting and welding can cause potential dangers later while driving, mainly because of the warping that occurs during the welding process. Although very good welders can get it almost perfectly lined, the warping is difficult to avoid and almost undetectable to the naked eye. On something like car wheels, even being a few millimeters off can cause some very bad vibrations and even more catastrophic results. I hope this is not your situation.

My post is not to "hate," but I'm just concerned for your safety and the safety of other motorists. If this is not the case, then you don't have to worry. Other than that, welcome to CL and your GTI is already looking proper with the old setup and stance.
Oh, okay. Well the wheels are 3-piece wheels which the face (center), inner barrel, and outer lip all separate apart. You can widen/narrow the overall width by just buying different size barrels and/or lips. The black "line" is the silicone sealant you have to put inbetween the joints (where the face, barrel and lip) meet each other to keep the air in. (All 3 piece wheels have that, may be a diff color, but they are all sealed). The "tilt" is because of the size of the face (13.4") vs the the wheel is a 17" wheel so it needs to taper off so it can be the correct size to bolt to the face. The way I did it was just buy wider lips. They went from stock 8/9 set up (.5", 1" lips) to 8.5/9.5 by my getting 1.5" lips for the rear and moving the stock 1" rears to the front. Now they are 9/10.5 because I took the 1.5" rears and moved them to the front and got 2.5" for the rear.

Here's a picture to show what it looks like when the wheels are apart (not my exact set, but they are RS's nonetheless):

You can see the sealant here (again, not my set, just an example):

Here is a comprehensive guide I've written to show how changing up the parts effects the specs of the wheels:

Before we start, please use Roan's (zeroluxxx) DIY Guide on measuring wheel parts so you get the correct calculation to start out with: [ http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3773369 ]

Maybe this could help some people as I know it can get confusing. Let's start with my wheels as an example:

Fronts:
BBS RS320
17x8 ET43 (7" barrel + .5" center + .5" lip)

Rears:
BBS RS300
17x9 ET53 (7.5" barrel + .5" center + 1" lip)

Adding the center's thickness into the equation only works if your wheels are sandwich mount (lip, face, barrel).

I moved the 1" drop lips from the rear to the front, resulting in:
17x8.5 ET37 (7" barrel + .5" center + 1" lip)

Now how did I get the final offset? Using [ http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp ]. I input the stock set up (8 ET43) and input the new width (8.5) and got to ET37 to maintain the same inner position because you aren't changing anything except the outer position.

I have noticed for every .5" you go out (pattern), while maintaining the same inner position/clearance, you will lower your offset by ~6mm (6.35mm to be exact (25.4 / 4 = 6.35). I have also noticed the outer position will go out 12mm (using the calculator, it gives you 12mm) (12.7 to be exact; 25.4 / 2 = 12.7)).

Then I got 1.5" lips to replace on the rears resulting in:
17x9.5 ET47 (7.5" barrel + .5" center + 1.5" lip)

Now what about if I changed the barrels up? You'd see the same pattern, but the outer position stays the same, whilst the inner position goes in or out (depending if you get smaller or larger barrels, of course).

Let's use my stock fronts for example (17x8 ET43 with a 7" barrel):

I'll put a 6.5" barrel on it, resulting in: 17x7.5 ET37 (6.5" barrel + .5" center + .5" lip). Notice the pattern again; .5" on that inner position results in 6mm lower offset (again, technically 6.35mm, easier to round down). Same thing with the inner position, it would gain 12mm (12.7 to be exact).

Well, what if I do both [smaller barrels and bigger lips]? You basically use the same formula/input the same things, but one at a time.

For example, lets use the stock fronts again but put .5" smaller barrels and a 1.5" lip on it.

Stock we know is 17x8 ET43 (7" barrel, .5" center + .5" = 8")
.5" smaller barrels we know results in 17x7.5 ET37 (6.5" + .5" + .5" = 7.5)
Now lets add that 1.5" lip to the equation: 6.5 + .5 + 1.5 = 8.5"
Final specs would be: 17x8.5 ET24 (which would gain 12mm inner clearance and outer position would "poke" 26mm more than stock lips).

Hope this helps

Last edited by c4lvin; 08-09-09 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-09-09, 01:57 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Fully understood. What a relief. I was crossing my fingers that you weren't cutting and welding. It must be fun doing this is in your very own garage! Can't wait to see the new setup on your GTI.

Last edited by sleeper408; 08-10-09 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-09-09, 02:17 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn you know your stuff when it comes to wheels.
Old 08-09-09, 02:34 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Fullu understood. What a relief. I was crossing my fingers that you weren't cutting and welding. It must be fun doing this is in your very own garage! Can't wait to see the new setup on your GTI.
Haha, yeah. Thanks. Yeah, I love working with wheels. Some people build up their motors, I'll go ahead and build up a set of wheels

Originally Posted by muhbuhtuh
damn you know your stuff when it comes to wheels.
Thanks. I get that a lot.
Old 08-09-09, 03:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Oh, okay. Well the wheels are 3-piece wheels which the face (center), inner barrel, and outer lip all separate apart. You can widen/narrow the overall width by just buying different size barrels and/or lips. The black "line" is the silicone sealant you have to put inbetween the joints (where the face, barrel and lip) meet each other to keep the air in. (All 3 piece wheels have that, may be a diff color, but they are all sealed). The "tilt" is because of the size of the face (13.4") vs the the wheel is a 17" wheel so it needs to taper off so it can be the correct size to bolt to the face. The way I did it was just buy wider lips. They went from stock 8/9 set up (.5", 1" lips) to 8.5/9.5 by my getting 1.5" lips for the rear and moving the stock 1" rears to the front. Now they are 9/10.5 because I took the 1.5" rears and moved them to the front and got 2.5" for the rear.

Here's a picture to show what it looks like when the wheels are apart (not my exact set, but they are RS's nonetheless):

You can see the sealant here (again, not my set, just an example):

Here is a comprehensive guide I've written to show how changing up the parts effects the specs of the wheels:

Before we start, please use Roan's (zeroluxxx) DIY Guide on measuring wheel parts so you get the correct calculation to start out with: [ http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3773369 ]

Maybe this could help some people as I know it can get confusing. Let's start with my wheels as an example:

Fronts:
BBS RS320
17x8 ET43 (7" barrel + .5" center + .5" lip)

Rears:
BBS RS300
17x9 ET53 (7.5" barrel + .5" center + 1" lip)

Adding the center's thickness into the equation only works if your wheels are sandwich mount (lip, face, barrel).

I moved the 1" drop lips from the rear to the front, resulting in:
17x8.5 ET37 (7" barrel + .5" center + 1" lip)

Now how did I get the final offset? Using [ http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp ]. I input the stock set up (8 ET43) and input the new width (8.5) and got to ET37 to maintain the same inner position because you aren't changing anything except the outer position.

I have noticed for every .5" you go out (pattern), while maintaining the same inner position/clearance, you will lower your offset by ~6mm (6.35mm to be exact (25.4 / 4 = 6.35). I have also noticed the outer position will go out 12mm (using the calculator, it gives you 12mm) (12.7 to be exact; 25.4 / 2 = 12.7)).

Then I got 1.5" lips to replace on the rears resulting in:
17x9.5 ET47 (7.5" barrel + .5" center + 1.5" lip)

Now what about if I changed the barrels up? You'd see the same pattern, but the outer position stays the same, whilst the inner position goes in or out (depending if you get smaller or larger barrels, of course).

Let's use my stock fronts for example (17x8 ET43 with a 7" barrel):

I'll put a 6.5" barrel on it, resulting in: 17x7.5 ET37 (6.5" barrel + .5" center + .5" lip). Notice the pattern again; .5" on that inner position results in 6mm lower offset (again, technically 6.35mm, easier to round down). Same thing with the inner position, it would gain 12mm (12.7 to be exact).

Well, what if I do both [smaller barrels and bigger lips]? You basically use the same formula/input the same things, but one at a time.

For example, lets use the stock fronts again but put .5" smaller barrels and a 1.5" lip on it.

Stock we know is 17x8 ET43 (7" barrel, .5" center + .5" = 8")
.5" smaller barrels we know results in 17x7.5 ET37 (6.5" + .5" + .5" = 7.5)
Now lets add that 1.5" lip to the equation: 6.5 + .5 + 1.5 = 8.5"
Final specs would be: 17x8.5 ET24 (which would gain 12mm inner clearance and outer position would "poke" 26mm more than stock lips).

Hope this helps

damn man I guess I know who to PM if I ever have issues with 3 piece wheels

Quick Reply: Haters gonna hate.