Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forget the EPA- Consumer Guide Auto gives it's real world MPG numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 07:31 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Cylinder deactivation is completely useless, if anything it does more harm then good. The Accord hybrid was rated under old EPA system.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
http://www.honda-accord-guide.com/Accord_Hybrid.html

The revised ratings are 25 City, 33 Highway and a 28 Average.
Cylinder deactivation only means that the "deactivated" cylinders are not getting fuel. They are still moving and going through a compression cycle, so when you have lets say 300hp 8 cylinder engine running on 4 cylinder, it means that the other 4 cylinders are spinning a 150hp compressor. It just adds complexity and additional wear and tear on one bank of cylinders, injectors, spark plugs, etc.
Yada, yada, yada, I've been reading about this technology for a while, and no, I have not read one article about premature engine failure in today's vehicles with this technology.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...ands_depl.html
Old 07-21-09, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Cylinder deactivation is completely useless, if anything it does more harm then good. The Accord hybrid was rated under old EPA system.

Cylinder deactivation only means that the "deactivated" cylinders are not getting fuel. They are still moving and going through a compression cycle, so when you have lets say 300hp 8 cylinder engine running on 4 cylinder, it means that the other 4 cylinders are spinning a 150hp compressor. It just adds complexity and additional wear and tear on one bank of cylinders, injectors, spark plugs, etc.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yada, yada, yada, I've been reading about this technology for a while, and no, I have not read one article about premature engine failure in today's vehicles with this technology.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...ands_depl.html
Och makes some good points here, SLegacy. True, it won't necessarily lead to engine failure, but the same amount of work still has to be done, no matter how many cylinders are getting or not getting fuel. The fewer cylinders that are powering the vehicle, the harder each one has to work. As I pointed out in my last post, the laws of physics aren't changed, but simply redistributed among fewer cylinders.
Old 07-21-09, 07:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Och makes some good points here, SLegacy. True, it won't necessarily lead to engine failure, but the same amount of work still has to be done, no matter how many cylinders are getting or not getting fuel. The fewer cylinders that are powering the vehicle, the harder each one has to work. As I pointed out in my last post, the laws of physics aren't changed, but simply redistributed among fewer cylinders.
Well, in a sense its even more work, as the remaining cylinders have to move the car and compress air in deactivated ones.
Old 07-21-09, 07:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Find me the proof that says that the redistribution of work on to fewer cylinders has been detrimental to a vehicle's maintence. Otherwise, the point is moot.

From my search I have found no such data saying that a vehicle such as the Odyssey, which is available with the same 6 cylinder engine with or without VCM, requires more maintaining with the VCM equipped model.
Old 07-21-09, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Find me the proof that says that the redistribution of work on to fewer cylinders has been detrimental to a vehicle's maintence. Otherwise, the point is moot.
Well, we were talking about mileage (or, at least I was), not necessarily maintenance. I said earlier that it would not necessarily lead to engine failure, but the extra work that the non-deactivated cylinders had to do to make up for the idle ones prevented much of a real savings in fuel. We've seen this in both the Chrysler Hemi and some Honda V6's that have the feature. And Och was not saying that engines would necessarily fail prematurely, either.....like me, he said only that the engine's friction and pumping loads created some extra work.
Old 07-21-09, 08:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im not saying it would fall prematurely, but I am saying that cylinder deactivation system itself is completely useless, and if anything, its just another system that could potentially fail.

As far as maintenance, it produces uneven load and uneven temperature, and can cause uneven wear on cylinders, injectors and spark plugs. Not something I would want.
Old 07-22-09, 05:08 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Im not saying it would fall prematurely, but I am saying that cylinder deactivation system itself is completely useless, and if anything, its just another system that could potentially fail.
1. 2 MPGs is 2 MPGs.

2. They don't fail. These aren't the 8-6-4 engines of the 80s. DOD has been around for awhile now and doing just fine.
Old 07-22-09, 07:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lately all mileage gains via technology have been incremental. That kind of progress will continue.
Old 07-22-09, 07:50 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
This is what I've been saying for the longest time, these new "clean" diesels are nowhere near as efficient as the traditional diesels, they also have a complicated emissions system that will be unreliable and expensive to repair, and the low sulfur diesel doesn't have the lubricants of traditional fuel diesel, so these engines will wear out faster.
Our recent experiences show this to be false. While CG reviews only the much larger, heavier GL and much smaller GLK, our new ML 320 Bluetec has been a very pleasant surprise as far as gas mileage.

We have averaged 26 mpg for the 8000 km that we have driven it. Yes, that's combined. On the highway we get anywhere from 33 mpg, if actually driving the speed limit (rarely...lol), to around 29 mpg if we're pushing it a little harder. Overall, amazing for a bigger, heavy SUV.

When you factor in the cost of diesel it's a no brainer. We pay on average 25 cents per liter less than premium gas for premium diesel. Our premium diesel is only 3 cents per liter more than the regular low sulfur diesel and will help prevent all of the concerns you mentioned.

http://www.shell.ca/home/content/ca-...sel_about.html

Originally Posted by flipside909
My 09 IS F EPA is 16 City/24 Highway. I just achieved a 26.4 average going 80 most of the way on my trip back from San Francisco. The EPA numbers are definitely underestimated most of the time.
+1

I see similar numbers on the highway, but we won't talk about what the real world number looks like when it's pushed hard.
Old 07-22-09, 08:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea the new EPA numbers rate my IS350 as 18 or so city. When I get 21-22 city, the old EPA sticker said 21. Guess people need to learn how to drive
Old 07-22-09, 10:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea the new EPA numbers rate my IS350 as 18 or so city. When I get 21-22 city, the old EPA sticker said 21. Guess people need to learn how to drive
My experience is similar to yours with IS350, but I think our driving conditions are more suburban than hardcore inner city driving like NYC, SF, etc.
Old 07-22-09, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My experience is similar to yours with IS350, but I think our driving conditions are more suburban than hardcore inner city driving like NYC, SF, etc.
You can't even compare NYC driving with SF, because NYC is mostly flat and SF has very steep hills that put more of a stress on engine, transmission, and brakes.