Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes to drop "CL", add "S Class Coupe"

Old 06-23-09, 09:56 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes to drop "CL", add "S Class Coupe"

From Motor Authority:

Mercedes Benz has some major changes in store for its product line over the coming years, with several key models receiving facelifts and complete name changes. We have already seen this with the upcoming E-Class Coupe, which has replaced the CLK, and soon we will see the CL name phased out with the introduction of a facelifted model next year. The updated car will come in for the 2011 model year and go by the new name of 'S-Class Coupe'.

The current C216 CL was first introduced at the end of 2006 but prototypes for the facelifted version have been spotted testing in Germany as early as August last year. Earlier this year we saw images of the high-performance AMG model but these latest shots depict the standard model. New details include a more upright grille highlighted with a single chrome bar, as well the new headlight design and LED accents.

In the rear we can clearly see full LED rear lights, a new bumper design and different shape exhaust tips. Other changes planned include new indicators in the side mirrors.

Mercedes is unlikely to change the CL’s powertrain lineup for the new S-Class Coupe, which means that the current assortment of V8 and V12 engines should remain. There could, however, be a number of modifications to the exhaust filtering systems to help improve emissions, as well as the introduction of engine stop-start and direct-injection technologies.

Old 06-23-09, 09:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Even though the CL has always essentially been an "S Class Coupe", the name just seems odd to me. The S Class has always been the big, top of the line, four door, executive saloon from Mercedes and somehow, fitting a coupe into that name and image just seems foreign to me.

Oh well
Old 06-23-09, 10:05 AM
LexFather

I really have nothing to say with their name changes and 4 door coupes and GLKs and the like. I do know I much preferred the last gen CL

Gangsta

Bloated

Perfect

Bloated

Kudos to Benz for offering this vehicle. Audi, BMW, Lexus don't have anything in this class. Its FLAGSHIP baby! I love the thought of a nice big coupe that isn't too swoopy but a nice GT.

My 2 cents....Used Bentley GT coupes are killing the CL in sales. I have no article to link but in talking to people and seeing the price of these, well I feel its hurting NEW CL sales.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-23-09 at 10:08 AM.

Old 06-23-09, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

well i guess it's a good way to reduce half of the lineup names clk gone, replaced with e coupe. now cl going away, replaced with s coupe.
Old 06-23-09, 10:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes, I think Mercedes themselves start ot realize they have too many names

I don't care what they call it, as long as I like the car, & I like the previous generation CL better than the current one.
Old 06-23-09, 10:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

I don't care what they call it, as long as I like the car, & I like the previous generation CL better than the current one.
I agree. The current one has some good angles, but is not as good looking as the previous generation overall.

Also, the one thing I don't understand is GL --> ML --> GLK? Doesn't the "K" mean "small" or something? Thus the CLK was the "smaller" CL, and the SLK was the "smaller" SL? I heard that a few years ago but it may not be correct.

It seems that the GLK should have been named somthing different all together. If the above is true then GLK would mean "small GL" which leaves the ML.... Seems like it should have been some other letter, then L- BL, or NL, or KL or something.

RX-GX-LX, Q3-Q5-Q7, X1-X3-X5, GLK-ML-GL??
Old 06-23-09, 10:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I agree. The current one has some good angles, but is not as good looking as the previous generation overall.
The only good angle of the current one to me is the side view, other than that, it's quite blah from any other angles ...
Old 06-23-09, 10:53 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My 2 cents....Used Bentley GT coupes are killing the CL in sales. I have no article to link but in talking to people and seeing the price of these, well I feel its hurting NEW CL sales.
I can believe that I found a used 2004 GT with like 70k km on it for like $90k CDN

Man oh man I can't believe the car lost like more then half its value in 5 years
Old 06-23-09, 10:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JessePS
I can believe that I found a used 2004 GT with like 70k km on it for like $90k CDN

Man oh man I can't believe the car lost like more then half its value in 5 years
Most cars even much cheaper than Bentley's usually do ...
Old 06-23-09, 11:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Most cars even much cheaper than Bentley's usually do ...
amen... actually most luxury cars lose about 50% in 3 yrs...
Old 06-23-09, 11:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
amen... actually most luxury cars lose about 50% in 3 yrs...
So true, especially with the expensive cars at/over/under $100K lately, even with relatively low mileage (3 years under 30K miles).
Old 06-23-09, 12:10 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Perfect
I don't like many Mercedes but the styling of this one I have always loved.
Old 06-23-09, 12:24 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

True, I didn't consider myself a true baller until I got this car. Especially after paying the mainteance cost. I feel sorry for these guys that are purchasing these cars now and not thinking about how much it cost to really own one these coupes. She gave me just as trouble as my ex wife.

Last edited by rogers2; 06-24-09 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 01:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure what toy/car I'm treating myself to with my next IPO, but these big coupes are awfully nice.

IMO, Mercedes needs to move ahead with changing it's naming conventions to be more straight forward and meaningful, so this is a good development.
Old 06-23-09, 01:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, Mercedes needs to move ahead with changing it's naming conventions to be more straight forward and meaningful, so this is a good development.
I agree...it is much simpler

C - Sedan, Coupe (coming), AMG
E - Sedan, Coupe, Wagon, AMG
S - Sedan, Coupe, AMG, Hybrid

SLK
SL
SLS (upcoming)

GLK
ML
GL
R

Hopefully the R will die off, and I still think the GLK should have been named something else. It seems odd to be the only SUV with a "K".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mercedes to drop "CL", add "S Class Coupe"