Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Taurus SHO vs. G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 04:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
$45K does sound pretty steep. I wonder if production will be imited? It no doubt will appeal to SHO enthusiasts.
I was under the impression that the Taurus carries with it more luxury features and ammentities.
Old 06-25-09, 06:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW,

I just built a loaded SHO (nav, camera, cruise) for $45,200. I went over to Lexus and built a GS 350 AWD with Nav and backup camera for $51,400. Add ML and it brings you to $53,200.

To be honest...that is a no brainer for me. Even if you went up to a loaded GS 350 AWD with Nav, ML, backup camera, xenons, AFS, wood and leather steering wheel...that is only $8,000 difference. I am not saying $8K is pocket change, but when you get up into the $45K mark, I have a feeling that most people will be willing to splurge to get the Lexus name, quality, service experience, etc.

If you live in a warmer climate and want the GS 350 RWD, there is only a $7K price difference between a loaded version and the Taurus SHO. If you forego the ML, the price difference between a GS 350 and the SHO is less than $5K.

IMO, this car is too expensive.
True and we both know people that want BMWs, Benz's Lexus will buy them with less tech, equipment etc compared to a Taurus SHO for a multitude of reasons. That is their choice.

Ford poses another problem to less established brands where their badge doesn't hold half as much weight.

Whats funny if you can get a loaded F-sport IS 250 for the price of a Taurus SHO. Its amazing how today so many vehicles now cross paths.

We also both know it won't go for MSRP. Unless Ford sticks to its guns, there will be discounts on this vehicle.

Old 06-25-09, 10:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toy4two
sad when the Ford flagship sedan has better technology than their flagship sports car the Mustang.
I am not a bit surprised about that, since the Mustang is supposed to "resemble" a traditional pony car.
Old 06-26-09, 04:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I am not a bit surprised about that, since the Mustang is supposed to "resemble" a traditional pony car.
Plus, the huge price difference. The Taurus does seem awfully expensive. 45k is swimming in some pretty serious performance sedan territory. A 5 series starts at 45,800. The G8 GT cleaned its clock. Imagine what the GXP could do, and it still costs less than the Taurus. Although, I'm sure the Taurus is much better equipped.
Old 06-26-09, 08:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I read that the Lincoln version of the SHO (MKS, AWD, TT) will go for something north of $50K.
Old 06-26-09, 08:56 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

FYI the SHO starts at $37k.

$45k gets you heated and cooled seats, moonroof, rear sunshade, 12 speak Sony system, auto high beams, blind spot warning, rain sensing wipers, adjustable pedals.
Old 06-26-09, 06:36 PM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

FWIW,

I just built a loaded SHO (nav, camera, cruise) for $45,200. I went over to Lexus and built a GS 350 AWD with Nav and backup camera for $51,400. Add ML and it brings you to $53,200.

To be honest...that is a no brainer for me. Even if you went up to a loaded GS 350 AWD with Nav, ML, backup camera, xenons, AFS, wood and leather steering wheel...that is only $8,000 difference. I am not saying $8K is pocket change, but when you get up into the $45K mark, I have a feeling that most people will be willing to splurge to get the Lexus name, quality, service experience, etc.

If you live in a warmer climate and want the GS 350 RWD, there is only a $7K price difference between a loaded version and the Taurus SHO. If you forego the ML, the price difference between a GS 350 and the SHO is less than $5K.

IMO, this car is too expensive.
I really get what your are saying, but hear lately it has been reported that Ford initial and lasting quality has been right up there with Toyota and like I said one reviewer said that the interior is as good as or almost as good has the AUDI A6. I would hope that people could see past the name Ford and look at what that car has to offer. I don't want to seem like a Ford boy I just want to see the American car companies do well and the only way they can do that is by making cars that can compete with Lexus, Benz, BMW, and any other car company the makes quality cars. I like them all to be honest, but my next one might be a Ford I am for buy American, but you have to give me something to choose from and it looks like Ford and some GM models are trying to at least compete.
Old 06-26-09, 07:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I understand and sympathize with some of what you are saying but to think that Ford needs to compete with Audi, Lexus, and BMW to be competitive is pretty unrealistic...for several reasons.

Until the last year or so, Ford wasn't even competitive with Toyota or Honda, so Lexus and Audi are a clear long shot past that.

Second, luxury marques have never been Ford's target or competitors so I don't really think they need to try to benchmark the 5 series or GS- it's irrelevant. Shoot high? Yes. That high? No, IMO. Gunning for Toyota and Honda is high enough right now.

They are making great strides none the less...very impressive!
Old 06-26-09, 07:30 PM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

I understand and sympathize with some of what you are saying but to think that Ford needs to compete with Audi, Lexus, and BMW to be competitive is pretty unrealistic...for several reasons.

Until the last year or so, Ford wasn't even competitive with Toyota or Honda, so Lexus and Audi are a clear long shot past that.

Second, luxury marques have never been Ford's target or competitors so I don't really think they need to try to benchmark the 5 series or GS- it's irrelevant. Shoot high? Yes. That high? No, IMO. Gunning for Toyota and Honda is high enough right now.

They are making great strides none the less...very impressive!
You know that the SHO is a bit quicker the Audi A6 in performance, but I hope that Ford does not fall victim to what Volkswagen did with the Pheaton or something like that it was a very good car but people did not what to pay that kind of money for a Volkswagen. I see what you are saying though.
Old 06-26-09, 08:35 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^VWoA has since lamented that it was a mistake to drop the car from the American market after only two years. The face lifted Phaeton that dropped in Europe last year actually significantly boosted sales. The car wasn't a completely flop across the spectrum as VW is going to build a second generation of the car but I can clearly see what you are trying to say - that Americans were not ready for an executive luxury saloon from VW that approached $100K, even IF the vehicle was essentially a toned down Bentley Continental; it didn't matter. I fear the pricy Taurus may fall victim to the same trap as the $38K REGULAR VW Passat VR6 had in 2006-2008. The car was pretty much competitive with the similarly sized Acura TL and Lexus ES ( I'd argue better), but it was often overlooked simply for being a VW and a Passat. The CC has stood a much better chance given that it actually has a very striking design, but Ford is going to face the same wind the Passat had. The car may help it gain respect in the industry and showcase what the company IS capable of, but it may have been better off leaving the $45K top trim model to Lincoln.

Last edited by FKL; 06-26-09 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-27-09, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Ford may (?) have set the SHO price where it is because they know that, with Pontiac likely going out of buisness, the G8 GT will be only temporary competition for the first year. And new-car-fever often allows first-year, high-performance cars to get top dollar.
Old 06-27-09, 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
^ I fear the pricy Taurus may fall victim to the same trap as the $38K REGULAR VW Passat VR6 had in 2006-2008.
You mean the limited-production, W8-powered Passats, don't you? VW only sold those for a year or two. They generally sold for 40K and up....more, of course, than most people were willing to pay for a Passat.