Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

May 2009 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 08:41 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of observations...

Things are definitely looking more positive going forward as sales jumped strongly from April.

Wow, check out the Fusion right on the Accord's butt!

And Camry sales still continue to be just ridiculous. 31,325 compared to the Accord's 22,597! Crazy.

So despite Chrysler's bankruptcy filing earlier in the month, their sales jumped strongly from May. Interesting, but could be partly due to excessive incentives.

Similar situation with GM with the bankruptcy looming, they increased their sales significantly as well as their market share. Good stuff.

I hear a lot of talk about everyone saying (not just here) that they're not going to buy GM and Chrysler ever again because of the bailout and government involvement but it sure doesn't seem to be the effect (at least yet). We'll see.
Old 06-03-09, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
So despite Chrysler's bankruptcy filing earlier in the month, their sales jumped strongly from May. Interesting, but could be partly due to excessive incentives.
local dodge dealers are advertising "half price" sales so unit sales may be up but it's all at a loss and just blowing out the scads of inventory.

I hear a lot of talk about everyone saying (not just here) that they're not going to buy GM and Chrysler ever again because of the bailout and government involvement but it sure doesn't seem to be the effect (at least yet). We'll see.
people are buying liquidated vehicles. if/when gm/cc ever want to actually make a profit, then it gets harder.
Old 06-04-09, 09:30 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ler-sales.aspx

Fire-sale prices lift GM, Chrysler

Ford fares best among the Detroit rivals in May. Toyota and Honda see small cars stack up on dealer lots as low gas prices encourage consumers to buy bigger vehicles.
[Related content: GM, economy, manufacturing, automotive, savings]
By The Associated Press

Americans bought more cars in May than in any other month this year, drawn by fire-sale prices that pushed sales by General Motors (GMGMQ, news, msgs) and Chrysler above expectations despite their forays into bankruptcy protection. Overall sales were still 34% lower than a year ago.

But low gas prices encouraged the sale of bigger vehicles while small cars stacked up on dealer lots.

That could be a problem for the Obama administration, if the demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles drops just as it is forcing the U.S. auto industry to produce more of them.

* Tell us: How do you define 'American made'?

"The great migration away from fuel efficiency is once again under way," said Mike Jackson, chairman and chief executive of AutoNation (AN, news, msgs), the nation's largest automotive retailer. "The price of gasoline determines the type of vehicles consumers buy. Period."

All major automakers including Toyota Motor (TM, news, msgs) and Honda Motor (HMC, news, msgs) posted drops from last year, with Ford Motor (F, news, msgs) benefiting from the financial woes of its Detroit competitors and recording the smallest decline, at 24%.
Cheaper gas a blow to imports
GM and Chrysler have pegged their recoveries to fuel efficiency -- Chrysler with small cars from Fiat (FIATY, news, msgs), GM with new American-built compacts and subcompacts, and both with plans for electric vehicles. It could take months of expensive gas for people to buy their new products.

Almost every small-car model saw significant drops in sales compared with May of last year, which was a record month for many models as gas headed for $4 per gallon.

Honda's Civic was off 61%, Ford saw Focus sales drop 54%, and GM's Chevrolet Cobalt was down 52%. Even Toyota's Corolla, the perennial small-car leader, saw sales drop 55%.

Yet sales of Ford's midsize Fusion jumped 9%, with four-cylinder engines making up 70% of the sales. Chevrolet's Malibu sales were down 11%, a far lower decline than the rest of the market.

Jackson said gasoline price instability makes it difficult for automakers to decide what models to produce and dealers to decide which ones to stock.

"I was an idiot last July when I didn't have enough fuel-efficient vehicles, and now I'm an idiot because I have fuel-efficient vehicles," he said in an interview. Jackson advocates a revenue-neutral gas tax increase to keep the price stable at $4 per gallon.

Early in the month, Honda had thousands of Civics stacked up in the lots of a closed Ford plant west of Cleveland, stored there from factories in Ohio and Canada. Many have since been shipped to dealers, the company said.

Jackson said all automakers' small cars suffered, but Honda was hit harder as a company because it is the most fuel efficient.

"Honda is perfectly positioned for $4 per gallon gasoline and is out of favor at $2 per gallon. It becomes a headwind for them."
Buyers unfazed by GM, Chrysler chaos
Jackson said he is changing his dealers' mix to larger vehicles, from midsize cars up to sport utilities, because that's what people want to buy.

But George Pipas, Ford's top sales analyst, said the trend to more efficient vehicles is continuing. Premium gasoline is back to $3 per gallon in California, said Jesse Toprak, executive director of industry analysis for the auto Web site Edmunds.com.

"We know the downsizing of the American vehicle has been taking place for several years and is still going on," he said. "I think the midsize segment does have some appeal, but don't forget fuel efficiency is still key."

Ford said its May U.S. sales fell 24% from last year but rose 20% from April, and its share of the U.S. market rose to the highest level since 2006.

"The winner is still Ford out of all automakers in terms of their May performance and the trending so far this year," Toprak said.

Although Chrysler's sales were off 47%, the decline was about the same as it was in the months before the Auburn Hills, Mich., automaker filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The company said its sales were pulled lower because it didn't sell to fleet buyers such as rental car companies, but retail sales to individual buyers were the best they've been all year.

With 789 dealers set to be severed from the company next week, many of those purchases were encouraged by deep discounts. Chrysler had the highest average incentive among automakers last month -- $4,159 per vehicle, according to Edmunds.

GM, which saw its sales drop 29% in the month leading up to its bankruptcy protection filing on Monday, ranked second in incentives at $3,783 per vehicle. Even Honda, where sales dropped 42%, raised incentives to a record $1,626.

"GM and Chrysler are still outperforming our expectations by a little," Toprak said. "It seems like the fire-sale message came across pretty strong."

But Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of North American sales and marketing, said GM's incentives were the same as last May.

"We have great competitive deals out there, but with the mere fact that our incentive spending did not go up is evident that we did not, and will not, resort to fire-sale tactics due to any kind of bankruptcy proceedings or discontinued brands," he said on a conference call with reporters and industry analysts.
Interesting that GM supposedly has not increased incentives compared to last year (doesn't mean dealers haven't though).

Also, the article again revisits the fact that gas prices RULE the auto industry. This is undeniable.

I just wish that people bought cars based on the likeliness that gas prices will for the most part remain high which is likely after this recession. People seem to buy based on current prices which is odd. After $4/gallon, prices fall to $2 in a matter of months and everybody goes back to buying big cars leaving small cars piling up on lots. What is an automaker to do???

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 06-04-09 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-04-09, 09:30 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
local dodge dealers are advertising "half price" sales so unit sales may be up but it's all at a loss and just blowing out the scads of inventory.
It's a loss for the dealership but not Chrysler. They already sold it to the dealership. Most likely, it's one of the dealerships that had its franchise pulled.
Old 06-04-09, 10:26 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Default May 2009 Hybrid Sales

May 2009 Hybrid Sales
Old 06-04-09, 11:23 AM
LexFather

TaTa hasn't released Jag XF numbers and I am VERY curious to know how well is it selling here. I've seen quite a few here in Atlanta. This could be the missing link we are trying in that segment

I think I shall call me TaTa and try to find out

Old 06-04-09, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Thanks again. RX 400h production is done. Thats 1500-2000 units a month Lexus has lost. The 450h should be on sale in July. This will help Lexus overall sales.

Old 06-04-09, 01:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks again. RX 400h production is done. Thats 1500-2000 units a month Lexus has lost. The 450h should be on sale in July. This will help Lexus overall sales.
I just looked at the stats, and this is even more amazing. Lexus barely sold any RX hybrids in May. So the 7462 RXs sold in May were all on the strength of the gas-only model. When the RX450h is on sale, then the RX numbers will be even higher.
Old 06-04-09, 03:05 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I just looked at the stats, and this is even more amazing. Lexus barely sold any RX hybrids in May. So the 7462 RXs sold in May were all on the strength of the gas-only model. When the RX450h is on sale, then the RX numbers will be even higher.
I wonder though, how many May RX sales are from outgoing 2009 models with their big discounts. The summer will also see a new competitor to the RX. Cadillac's 2nd gen SRX should be out sometime during the summer.
Old 06-04-09, 03:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder though, how many May RX sales are from outgoing 2009 models with their big discounts. The summer will also see a new competitor to the RX. Cadillac's 2nd gen SRX should be out sometime during the summer.
The new RX has been on sale for a few months. I doubt very many 09s were sold in May. Toyota likes to keep low inventories, and since the RX has been a strong seller even in this economy it's unlikely they had much 09s left. Some circumstantial observations; the few Lexus dealers I drove by in my area recently had either none or only one 09 on the lot. All other RX models were 2010.

The SRX is also unlikely to dent RX sales. No competitor even comes close to RX sales, and no competitor currently has an answer to the RX450h. The RX is the 3 Series (king) of sales in it's segment.
Old 06-04-09, 04:22 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

The new RX has been on sale for a few months. I doubt very many 09s were sold in May. Toyota likes to keep low inventories, and since the RX has been a strong seller even in this economy it's unlikely they had much 09s left. Some circumstantial observations; the few Lexus dealers I drove by in my area recently had either none or only one 09 on the lot. All other RX models were 2010.

The SRX is also unlikely to dent RX sales. No competitor even comes close to RX sales, and no competitor currently has an answer to the RX450h. The RX is the 3 Series (king) of sales in it's segment.
TRDFantasy,

Do you consider the Buick Enclave as a direct competitor to the RX? The Buick is clearly a large 3 row SUV and is not a luxury brand but price point wise, it is similar to the RX. As a whole the GM lamda crossovers I wouldn't think are cross shopped, but the Buick is seen as more upscale than the other quartet members (Acadia, Traverse, Outlook).
Old 06-04-09, 04:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Probably didn't have any RX hybrids to sell. Anyone know why there wasn't an '09 400h?
Old 06-09-09, 02:11 PM
LexFather

I predicted Infiniti wouldn't sell 100k vehicles....they are on pace to sell no more than 80k this year.

Last year this time Lexus sold 116k cars and BMW 110k. BMW has a 3k advantage this year as we talked about. It is going to be a VERY close race. December to Remember is strong for Lexus and they have the HS, RX 450h, IS-C coming. BMW has the new 7 and Z4. I can imagine BMW will really try to take the sales crown away so I expect very aggressive tactics as the year goes by.

RX and 3 series sales are just staggering nearly as much or more than ENTIRE BRANDS.

Saturn -55.54% 8,046

Cadillac -39.86% 8,027

Audi -12.08% 7,503

Infiniti -38.10% 6,496

Volvo -22.95% 5,577

Mini -26.96% 4,610

Mitsubishi -58.27% 4,352

Suzuki -75.06% 2,585 :screwy:

Porsche -29.22% 1,979

Hummer -40.64% 1,094

Saab -63.55% 78

Old 06-09-09, 02:14 PM
LexFather

TRDFantasy,

Do you consider the Buick Enclave as a direct competitor to the RX? The Buick is clearly a large 3 row SUV and is not a luxury brand but price point wise, it is similar to the RX. As a whole the GM lamda crossovers I wouldn't think are cross shopped, but the Buick is seen as more upscale than the other quartet members (Acadia, Traverse, Outlook).
The Enclave is a fantastic vehicle. Considering RX sales are still strong I think its a competitor for larger SUVs. I think its killing the MDX, which is also a wide, 3 row SUV. MDX sales have plummeted the last 2 years.

Old 06-09-09, 03:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

TRDFantasy,

I don't consider it a direct competitor to the RX, although some comparisons might be made by shoppers. Overall, the Enclave has not affected RX sales looking at the stats. The Enclave likely affected sales of other models, particularly the Veracruz, possibly the MDX, or may have even cannibalized sales of GM's other SUVs.

Quick Reply: May 2009 Vehicles Sales