Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is this list accurate?
Yes, they called my state out, very accurate
64.29%
Somewhat Accurate
0%
Not accurate at all, my state is much better
0%
Not accurate at all, my state is much worse
21.43%
I ride the world wide web, I don't drive
0%
The Goat's are the worst!!!
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Ranking of the states with the worst drivers and take a test to see how u r

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 09:11 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My state, TN, wasn't at the bottom, but was well worse than average. I guess I could definitely see that being true inside the city of Memphis I can't tell you how many wrecks I would have been in by now if I wasn't a defensive driver and applied brakes and swerved as necessary to avoid other drivers doing stupid stuff. And even then I've already been in 3 accidents in 10 years of driving... all 3 not at fault. Can't avoid them all.

On the test I got them all right except how soon should you put your blinker on. I always thought it was 50 feet (I remember hearing that in driver's ed when I was 15!) but they said it was 100 feet. In reality I turn it on at probably 100-150 feet, especially if there's somebody behind me so that they have an opportunity to move over a lane instead of slowing down. Exception being when there's a turn in before mine that I haven't passed yet and somebody's waiting to turn out of it. I don't want them to think I'm turning and pull out in front of me.

Oh the one about it never being OK to drive off onto the shoulder or whatever it was... I got that right but come on, we all know if there's an accident or somebody broken down and it's blocking the road and the shoulder is clear, that's what people will do. But yet the way they worded it is that it's NEVER OK.
Old 05-26-09, 09:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have lived in three of the top four worst States.

And being a motorcycle rider, I know how bad drivers can get. So, yes, I totally agree with the rankings.

I'd love to ride for miles without end in the top ten States listed. However, inclement weather would be of concern just as bad as poor drivers...
Old 05-26-09, 11:46 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The got California about right. Virginia is ranked too high. I lived there for 2 years and found drivers to be pretty bad as a whole. The worst offense was stopping at the top of an interstate on ramp. Evidently, people do this because they don't know what yield means. The Virginia Signal was a peeve of mine, too. This is when a driver signals a lane change by drifting half way into the desired lane, drifting back into the original lane, and then doing the slow drift into the desired lane with no turn signal. I guess they have to warm up to the idea of a new lane choice.