Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 09:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I rest my case.
sorry we are not worthy :rolleye: but driving a stick in heavy city traffic sucks.
Old 02-25-10, 12:52 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can't row when you are stuck in the traffic. but if i want to shift, i'll probably get another 90's civic beater. i had one, but i blew the engine 2 years ago.
Old 02-25-10, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sorry we are not worthy :rolleye: but driving a stick in heavy city traffic sucks.
So the Miata only comes out on Sundays?
Old 02-25-10, 01:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So the Miata only comes out on Sundays?
Isn't that the truth for stick shift sports cars, of which the Sonata is not intended to address from a marketing standpoint (seeking greater share of higher volume mid-sized family sedan market).

Agreed, the stick shift sports cars I've owned have been mostly used as weekend cars too.
Old 02-25-10, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Isn't that the truth for stick shift sports cars, of which the Sonata is not intended to address from a marketing standpoint (seeking greater share of higher volume mid-sized family sedan market).

The entry-level GLS Sonata does offer a 6-speed manual, but I suspect that is for two reasons......First, to offer an attractive base price (in this case, just over 19K), and, Second, for those who don't mind rowing their own gears even in traffic. It used to be that the typical manual transmission (depending on gearing, final-drive ratio, and other factors) offered both better acceleration and better mileage than torque-converter automatics, but advances in torque-converter automatic-transmission design, lockups, SMG automanuals, CVTs, and twin-clutch automanuals have all but eliminated the mileage/performance gap. With the new Sonata, for example, the mileage is essentially the same with both transmissions. In some cases, with some vehicles, so are the 0-60 and quarter-mile times. In fact, some CVTs actually outdo conventional manuals in both acceleration AND gas mileage.....CVTs, at current levels of technlogy, probably represent the utmost in transmission efficiency, though they often have a quirky feel. IMO, though, the twin-clutch VW/Audi DSG/Shiftronic, is, hands-down, the most pleasant and fun unit to drive
Old 02-25-10, 02:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The entry-level GLS Sonata does offer a 6-speed manual, but I suspect that is for two reasons......First, to offer an attractive base price (in this case, just over 19K), and, Second, for those who don't mind rowing their own gears even in traffic. It used to be that the typical manual transmission (depending on gearing, final-drive ratio, and other factors) offered both better acceleration and better mileage than torque-converter automatics, but advances in torque-converter automatic-transmission design, lockups, SMG automanuals, CVTs, and twin-clutch automanuals have all but eliminated the mileage/performance gap.
I agree, the manual mainly allows attractive price point, without any performance or gas mileage advantage. And the customer ends up with an additional choice too.
Old 04-02-10, 12:52 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

2.0 Litre Turbocharged version is now HERE:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11004012...l-turbocharger

The YF Sonata is on a roll hehe

Go Hyundai
Old 04-02-10, 04:27 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven
2.0 Litre Turbocharged version is now HERE:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11004012...l-turbocharger

The YF Sonata is on a roll hehe

Go Hyundai
Nice! 22/34 MPG 274 HP, and the best part, 269LB torque! I'm really liking this car.
Originally Posted by joe80
they are saying MPG is the new 0-60. MPG is the new driving dynamics. at least that's the #1 priority for Hyundai from my inside source.
I certainly hope not. If that were the case, I would think that they would build a 80 MPG car that did 0-60 in 18 seconds. Rather, I think at this point in time, Hyundai's number 1 priority would be to surpass Honda and Toyota in build quality and to gain market share. Their goal right now is to get people to pull their head out of the sand and say "Wow, Hyundai" Their plan is working. I see Hyundai as the next Samsung.
Old 04-06-10, 08:48 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Do you think they'll keep the Azera? Sales have fallen to less than 300 cars per month in North America and I figured they'd let it go away.

I always thought it was an interesting car and a very good value, but never sold too well.
W/ the Sonata eschewing the V6, Hyundai will likely bring over the new Azera (as well as Kia bringing over the Cadenza).

The Azera is a pretty decent large FWD sedan, but really in need of the next-gen model in order to better compete against the Maxima and Taurus, much less the Avalon.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The sides scream CLS but cheaper.
The greenhouse/C-pillar of the Sonata is more an aggressive version of the Audi A6/Azera than the CLS (otoh, the CC has a C-pillar more similar to the CLS).

Two new models w/ a similar greenhouse/C-pillar designs are the Chevy Cruze (not as streamlined) and the Jaguar XJ (even more streamlined).