Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 05:24 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69
When the swoopy new 2011 Sonata goes into production at Hyundai's plant in Alabama early next year, it won't offer a V6 engine anymore, but it will get the company's first ever direct-injected engine. This week in South Korea, Hyundai took the wraps off its 2.4-liter Theta II GDI four-cylinder. Like similar engines from other automakers, Hyundai's engineers have taken advantage of the charge cooling effect of direct injection by boosting the compression ratio to 11.3:1. As a result the engine produces 198 hp and 184 pound-feet of torque at 4,250 rpm in Korean spec.

The direct injection system is setup to use a two-pulse strategy similar to modern common rail diesels. The initial smaller pulse is ignited by the spark plug and then followed by a second larger pulse as the piston begins its downward stroke. GM uses a similar strategy for its 2.4-liter DI Ecotec because it helps warm the engine faster, heating the catalytic converter and reducing emissions. The GDI Theta II produces from 7-12 percent more torque across its rev range than the port-injected version of the same engine. Efficiency should also improve by about 10 percent although the final certification figures aren't complete yet. The Theta II also gets continuously variable valve timing on both camshafts to round out its high tech upgrades. In addition to the regular Sonata sedan, this engine will likely also be used for the new Sonata hybrid when it debuts late in 2010.
This is disappointing. Personally, I can't imagine that Hyundai would be so willing to say goodbye to so many potential Sonata buyers.

So, it won't have a V6 at production time. Hyundai will almost certainly make a V6 available at some time in the future.
Old 11-18-09, 05:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
This is disappointing. Personally, I can't imagine that Hyundai would be so willing to say goodbye to so many potential Sonata buyers.

So, it won't have a V6 at production time. Hyundai will almost certainly make a V6 available at some time in the future.
How many potential Sonata buyers really hyave to have a V6? My bet is not too many.
Old 11-18-09, 06:43 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Actually V-6 sales in this class are a small portion of the overall numbers. Even Audi has dropped the V-6 option for the A4 so this is likely the coming thing. The turbo 4 can approach V-6 performance and yet do very well in the EPA mileage test. Look for Ford to put an Ecoboost 4 in the Fusion as the performance version of that car replacing the V-6.

I don't see the lack of a V-6 to be much of a problem to the target buyer for the Sonota since it never appealed to the enthusiust anyway.
Steve
Old 11-18-09, 08:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe I'm old fashioned but a 4 cylinder will never match the smoothness and refinement of a nice V6. Not to mention that the additional weight of the engine really helps out the ride.

Drive a 4cyl Camry, Accord, or Altima back to back with a V6 model and it nearly feels like a different car all together.

Also, last I heard V6s made up somewhere around 10-15% of sales in these midsize sedans. If you're selling Camrys, that's roughly 60,000 cars. I think it's a stupid move for Hyundai to abandon the V6 option not only because it's a nice feature but because there are plenty of people who do want it.
Old 11-18-09, 09:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
But Camry, Accord, and Altima 4 cyl's are not turbos so of course you will get a different feeling in power and smoothness.

Keep in mind, some of us folks are still in the old way of thinking. We need to move on. The manufacturers are moving up fast and we need to catch up. The engineers know what's best for us in terms of both power and efficiency. I remember even BMW planned to drop the V8 on the M5 and opt for a V6 w/ turbo IIRC? Some companies are going down in the number of cylinders by a notch. I smell efficiency my friends.
A turbo doesn't really have any effect on smoothness and vibration, only acceleration as you know. Thus, a V6 and turbo 4cyl are very different animals even if they do have a similar power output. DI engines can be a bit noisy and 4cylinders are already buzzy enough, so I am highly doubting that it will provide the quietness and smoothness that a V6 offers.

Furthermore, I wonder just how much more efficient a TT 4cylinder is when compared to many of the modern V6s which can get into the low 30MPG realm on the highway. V6s have come a long way. There has been a lot of talk about the V8 engine dying in favor of a TT V6, and now people are saying a V6 is no good because we have a TT I4. While some manufacturers are deciding to go with forced induction, I think that others will continue with technologies like direct injection, valve timing, and transmissions to get better MPG results. Personally I am not a fan of forced induction on economy cars because often times those turbos need to be replaced after a certain amount of time and they sure aren't cheap.

Also, BMW is supposedly dropping the V10 in favor of a TT V8, but I catch your drift
Old 11-18-09, 09:17 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Replacing (or should I say "upgrade") the V6 to the I-4 turbo indeed appears to be the "THING" now. Hyundai made a smart decision.
But they arent replacing it with a Turbo 4. Its a Direct Injected 4 cylinder with less power than an Accord a little bit more than a Camry. Maybe that will happen in a couple years, but for now only a DI I-4 is the top of the line engine.

Originally Posted by GS69
it won't offer a V6 engine anymore, but it will get the company's first ever direct-injected engine.....the engine produces 198 hp and 184 pound-feet of torque
Old 11-18-09, 09:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Having a sophisticated 4 cyl in the Sonata makes sense for Hyundai for worldwide sales. If 10% or so of their sales in NA are V6, it's probably less than that worldwide. Same for Toyota and Honda.
Old 11-18-09, 12:36 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I am with MPLexus301 on this one. I dont mind down grading from a V8 to a V6 turbo or supercharge, but I am still not ready to go form a V6 to a 4 cylinder turbo yet. The I4 turbos are still noisy at idle and it still sounds like a I4, althought some 4 cyl turbo engines now a days have a very good torque band, it still doesnt push the car effortlessly like a V6 turbo or a old fashion V8.
Old 11-19-09, 02:57 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it's a smart decision. i'm sure hyundai will have redesigned azera which will be a FWD v6.
Old 11-19-09, 03:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
i think it's a smart decision. i'm sure hyundai will have redesigned azera which will be a FWD v6.
Do you think they'll keep the Azera? Sales have fallen to less than 300 cars per month in North America and I figured they'd let it go away.

I always thought it was an interesting car and a very good value, but never sold too well.
Old 11-21-09, 09:13 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

It's just my opinion but I believe that going with the Turbo-4 replacing the standard V6 (for this car anyways) seems to be a neat decision. Especially with stricter CO2 emission standards now and in the coming years, this may seem like a sound decision.

IMHO, this should be interesting
Old 11-21-09, 10:55 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting thread. It's a little odd they're dropping the V6 but they must know what they're doing. It'll be interesting because I think we're going to see 350+hp modded sonatas once they're released by power junkies.
Old 11-23-09, 06:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Who knows, maybe they will introduce the V6 Sonata after the intial redesign launch. Automotive companies now a days are rushing new designs into the market place as fast as they can, sometimes they just launch with one power train at 1st and introduce more later.
Old 11-24-09, 01:23 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

very impressive!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/23/h...ata/3#comments
Old 11-24-09, 01:25 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

basically hyundai wants to compete with the next gen camry and accord, not the current gen. i love that mentality.

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)