Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 10:02 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Do not forget the next-gen Altima comes in 2012 model year.

Also do not forget the famous case of the 3rd gen Ford Taurus. It had radical styling back in 1996, and even today still looks "modern" compared to some cars, but that generation of the Taurus alienated Taurus owners and buyers and greatly contributed to the decline of the Taurus in the North American market.

Hyundai, for it's own sake should be smart and should learn from it's competitor's past mistakes.

Compared to the (current) dated 2010 Sonata, this new Sonata really is radical in-context. How will current Sonata owners and buyers react is the question, a question just as important as how many new buyers will this new Sonata attract?

Radical styling is NOT needed in the midsize sedan market; this market segment does not demand radical styling, so we shall see how the new Sonata does.
the reaction has been very positive here in the U.S so far. you can't make everyone happy, but it's definitely one of the best hyundai design ever. much more praise than hate unlike recent honda designs. hyundai is really getting better in the design department. i think hyundai leap frogged honda in terms of design. and i really wouldn't call it radical. it's basically 2 generation ahead of current sonata and 1 generation ahead of current best sellers.

hyundai's bad rep from past will have its expiration date someday.
only thing that will stop hyundai from growing is kim jeong il's last hurrah. you never know what that little man can do.
Old 10-14-09, 10:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Reaction has been "very positive so far here in the US"? Huh, based on what? Internet enthusiast forums ? Even that reaction on the internet has been mixed.

The 2011 Sonata has not even been officially unveiled yet in North America! Jumping to conclusions with such silly statements is foolish.

Fact is, there has been NO reaction so far from general consumers and car buyers in the US. Once Hyundai unveils the new Sonata in North America, and once it goes on sale, only then can we talk about the reaction the car is receiving.
Old 10-14-09, 10:14 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai wants too much, too fast, and too soon. When a company starts to get so greedy, that is usually the beginning of it's downfall. You can't just "skip" a generation of a volume model.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/21/v...r-korean-audi/

watch those 3 videos again. it's far from a radical design. sonata is no longer an appliance.

it will be interesting to see what toyota and honda will do next.
Old 10-14-09, 10:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

For the midsize sedan market, and *in relation to the competition* yes the design IS radical. The new Sonata does not exist in a vacuum all by itself.

Just to clarify, there are different meanings of the word "radical".

What I mean when I say radical is change from accepted or traditional forms. In other words, the Sonata looks noticeably different from any other competitors, while at the same time mimicing many modern, popular, and tacky design cues, and managing to look very awkward from certain angles. THAT is what makes the car fall under the definition of "radical". What I also mean by "radical" is that it can be alienating to people, and this new Sonata could possibly turn out to be alienating to buyers.
Old 10-14-09, 10:30 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Reaction has been "very positive so far here in the US"? Huh, based on what? Internet enthusiast forums ? Even that reaction on the internet has been mixed.

The 2011 Sonata has not even been officially unveiled yet in North America! Jumping to conclusions with such silly statements is foolish.

Fact is, there has been NO reaction so far from general consumers and car buyers in the US. Once Hyundai unveils the new Sonata in North America, and once it goes on sale, only then can we talk about the reaction the car is receiving.

Yes, it's been more positive than negative. just like Accord Tourer's reaction has been almost all negative. when you read comments on Accord Tourer, you probably won't find a good positive comment anywhere on the internet.

I go to many car forums - acura, honda, toyota, bimmer, lexus, GM, hyundai, nissan and etc. The new sonata was the talk of the industry when it first came out by the design alone. Sonata finally became a player in terms of design. Of course there are people who doesn't like the over designed grill, provocative crease, but definitely there were enough positive comments which lead me to believe that the car will be an instant design success.

I'm a creative director and I know for sure the reaction from the consumer will be more positive than negative.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tes...35&PID=3179980

-this reviewer liked the design too.
Old 10-14-09, 10:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The real or true consumer reaction will be to see how well the new Sonata will sell in the US. Then we can talk.
Old 10-14-09, 10:51 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Reactions from other car forums. Edmunds (midsize 2.0 discussion) is the good place to start. most of people there aren't 'enthusiasts'. they are proud malibu, elantra, civic, accord, altima, camry drivers.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-sonata.html
http://carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=17909
http://forums.motortrend.com/70/7749...ped/index.html
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/09...-revealed.html
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4545053
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ta-pics-84183/
http://acurazine.com/forums/showthre...115979&page=11
http://jalopnik.com/5361676/2011-hyu...mry+like-style
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...4l-engine.html
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web....f12d514/13040
Old 10-14-09, 10:57 PM
LexFather

I'm on many car forums and its simply not the most reliable form of data. For all we know people could have 5-10 usernames over there (won't happen here).

I do think Hyundai isn't breaking ground for design overall, they are breaking ground for "Hyundai". Most comments are "wow that is a Hyundai" not "wow that is a beautiful car".

The Sonata segment isn't exactly filled with beautiful cars. I think the Malibu might be the best looking, simple and elegant. The Camry is busy but designed nice for a Camry. The Fusion update looks great to me. The Accord is the usually Honda Horrid. The Altima is nice to me but can be bulbous. The Sebring and Avenger are horrible.

The Sonata interior though, seems to be something spectacular!

Old 10-14-09, 11:00 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

The real or true consumer reaction will be to see how well the new Sonata will sell in the US. Then we can talk.
well, it all depands on the price, but the sonata will always be hyundai's volume seller. 80k-90k a year is a safe bet, but i can see it going over 100k.
Old 10-14-09, 11:03 PM
LexFather

joe any info if the V-6 is coming or not?

Old 10-14-09, 11:08 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i know it's not a reliable data. but when people are saying 'that's a hyundai?' that's a good thing. when people talk about hyundai, that's a good thing for hyundai. no one ever talked about hyundai few years ago. but they are generating conversation which many people thought impossible just 5 years ago.

only time will tell, but hyundai hit a home run with the new sonata IMO.
Old 10-14-09, 11:09 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
joe any info if the V-6 is coming or not?
i have no idea...

hyundai would be foolish not to bring v6. v6 is for the show, but the show must go on.
Old 10-15-09, 11:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What I mean when I say radical is change from accepted or traditional forms. In other words, the Sonata looks noticeably different from any other competitors, while at the same time mimicing many modern, popular, and tacky design cues, and managing to look very awkward from certain angles. THAT is what makes the car fall under the definition of "radical". What I also mean by "radical" is that it can be alienating to people, and this new Sonata could possibly turn out to be alienating to buyers.
Well, lets think for a moment who is the majority group who will be buying this car. Senior citizens, middle class house wives, middle class husbands who use it to transport babies or kids. To these buyers, the Sonata's design is radical, the profile, the grill and the angles are all not traditional designs. Radical design usually is a hit with the younger generation, but not with the older gen. The design can be hit or miss, just like Nissan years ago, when they had all those radical designs. Some were accepted and some were not. Even Nissan have learn to tone down their design a little bit. On the other hand, companies like Toyota and Honda like to us traditional designs. They may not wow anybody but they will not offend anyone either.
Old 11-17-09, 08:05 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow New Engine

When the swoopy new 2011 Sonata goes into production at Hyundai's plant in Alabama early next year, it won't offer a V6 engine anymore, but it will get the company's first ever direct-injected engine. This week in South Korea, Hyundai took the wraps off its 2.4-liter Theta II GDI four-cylinder. Like similar engines from other automakers, Hyundai's engineers have taken advantage of the charge cooling effect of direct injection by boosting the compression ratio to 11.3:1. As a result the engine produces 198 hp and 184 pound-feet of torque at 4,250 rpm in Korean spec.

The direct injection system is setup to use a two-pulse strategy similar to modern common rail diesels. The initial smaller pulse is ignited by the spark plug and then followed by a second larger pulse as the piston begins its downward stroke. GM uses a similar strategy for its 2.4-liter DI Ecotec because it helps warm the engine faster, heating the catalytic converter and reducing emissions. The GDI Theta II produces from 7-12 percent more torque across its rev range than the port-injected version of the same engine. Efficiency should also improve by about 10 percent although the final certification figures aren't complete yet. The Theta II also gets continuously variable valve timing on both camshafts to round out its high tech upgrades. In addition to the regular Sonata sedan, this engine will likely also be used for the new Sonata hybrid when it debuts late in 2010.
Old 11-17-09, 08:12 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Think it's looking good, might be some competition for Honda !!!

Quick Reply: next-gen Hyundai Sonata (revealed)