Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DAWG choice... the Z06 wins!! BIG thanks to many here on CL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 07:29 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I'm surprised you don't know - they're such different cars.

High revving/low torque v8 in a heavy hardtop convertible = fun cruiser

Big engine in a light car = torque monster

I'd also imagine that someone who is considering a Z06 (over a regular Corvette or convertible Corvette) would also pick a hardtop M3 over the heavy, softer convertible. Great deals can be found for those also.
Why do people make posts like this?

Trust me, for those of us that have followed Russ' decision making process....he is more than well aware of the differences in these vehicles.

Search the different threads he's started and you will see that he has been all over the map and isn't focused on one brand or even one style of vehicle.

Some people are fortunate enough to be able to afford nice vehicles and be open minded, research their options and choose a vehicle based on a multitude of factors. It certainly doesn't mean that he is uninformed or unaware.
Old 03-26-09, 12:21 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ I think pvmike is more surprised that the OP doesn't know what he really wants as opposed to saying the OP doesn't know the difference between the cars or that the OP is uninformed. It seems to me that the OP doesn't have a clear idea of what he wants, but again I could be wrong. I say this because to go from an S5 to a Z06 and possibly now a M3 now is pretty much as you say "all over the map." Granted they all have two doors, and four wheels, aside from that they are three quite different cars.

To me I'd look at it like this:
Do you want raw power and performance? Do you want a little more finesse with a bit more luxury? Or Do you want elegance/luxury and solid AWD performance?

If money is not a factor and none of the cars are likely to see the track, I personally like the M3...
Old 03-26-09, 04:05 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Why do people make posts like this?

Trust me, for those of us that have followed Russ' decision making process....he is more than well aware of the differences in these vehicles.

Search the different threads he's started and you will see that he has been all over the map and isn't focused on one brand or even one style of vehicle.

Some people are fortunate enough to be able to afford nice vehicles and be open minded, research their options and choose a vehicle based on a multitude of factors. It certainly doesn't mean that he is uninformed or unaware.
Thanks much CDN... I'm sure the poster doesn't know the full (8 month) history of my search. The Missus' personal choice has influenced this process ... for PVMike, there have been over 50 cars considered (and over 20 driven) so yes, I have never been focused on one set of vehicle, rather a multitude as CDN says...

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^ I think pvmike is more surprised that the OP doesn't know what he really wants as opposed to saying the OP doesn't know the difference between the cars or that the OP is uninformed. It seems to me that the OP doesn't have a clear idea of what he wants, but again I could be wrong. I say this because to go from an S5 to a Z06 and possibly now a M3 now is pretty much as you say "all over the map." Granted they all have two doors, and four wheels, aside from that they are three quite different cars.

Do you want raw power and performance? Do you want a little more finesse with a bit more luxury? Or Do you want elegance/luxury and solid AWD performance?

If money is not a factor and none of the cars are likely to see the track, I personally like the M3...
Again, not knowing full history impacts interpretations here. Criteria has changed over time. Money is NOT the motivating factor, but IS a consideration, so the longer the process takes the more choices (and better deals) arise. Also, the longer I research and have test-driven, the more I move in one direction or another.

Lastly, the beauty (AND frustration) is the time invested to arrive at a final choice. While sold on the Z about a month ago, continued replies and feedback from great sources have me concerned over daily driving and reliability on a Z06 . A HUGE issue was a good BMW mechanic when considering BMWs... I'm not concerned about the warranty, I'm concerned with who can fix a car... that was eliminated yesterday, hence the rise of the M3 as a final choice. And yes, luxury and performance are big. AWD has become less of a factor... the last factor(s) fell into place this week, so the final criteia and factors are, at last, set.

So when the car is purchased, it's safe to say it's the "perfect" choice!!
Old 03-26-09, 06:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh no not again.. lol..Wake me up when the pics of the ennie meeni mini mo vehicle are posted
Old 03-26-09, 07:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Oh no not again.. lol..Wake me up when the pics of the ennie meeni mini mo vehicle are posted
lol, that's what I was thinking...zzzzzzzzzzzz...lol
Old 03-26-09, 10:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

lol, Keep shopping, it's a buyers market.
Old 03-26-09, 10:55 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Is that IS350 recommendation a serious one? I am having trouble deciphering if that is sarcasm or not... With the cars he's been looking at I could possible see an IS-F in there, but not a 350. Not only that it seems he's been looking more for coupes.

OP, have you driven the M3 yet?

Last edited by 92 SC400; 03-26-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-26-09, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Is that IS350 recommendation a serious one? I am having trouble deciphering if that is sarcasm or not... With the cars he's been looking at I could possible see an IS-F in there, but not a 350. Not only that it seems he's been looking more for coupes.

OP, have you driven the M3 yet?
I've reviewed and driven all four vehicles (IS350, IS-F, M3, and 335i). I'm not convinced that, for normal street use, the M3 and IS-F are worth the extra money. IMO, the 335i, especially, is a good value. With its twin-turbos, it actually out-torques the M3 (305 to 295) at low and medium RPMs (the M3 doesn't catch up till much later, at the extremely high-RPM 414 HP peak), and at most normal driving speeds, the 335's handling is almost as good as the M3's. On the track, however, the M3 would probably have an edge.

The IS-F defintely out-powers the 350, especially starting at 3600-4000 RPM, but I found the 350's chassis/suspension more civilized for normal street use than the ultra-stiff IS-F.
Old 03-26-09, 11:29 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

^^^ I totally agree with all of that assessment, however, I was basing my comments off of the cars the OP has been close to purchasing (S5 and Z06). To consider an IS350 coming from those cars, it's a step in the opposite direction for more reasons that power alone, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-26-09, 12:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ I totally agree with all of that assessment, however, I was basing my comments off of the cars the OP has been close to purchasing (S5 and Z06). To consider an IS350 coming from those cars, it's a step in the opposite direction for more reasons that power alone, but that's just my opinion.
No prob. It's all just opinions on this thread for the most part.
Old 03-26-09, 01:29 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

I will no longer be posting until I have something in the garage.

Thanks

Last edited by rdgdawg; 03-26-09 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 02:09 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

^^^ Trust me, I fully understood it.

What you didn't understand is that I (personally) would find it hard to cross shop IS350 with the Z06, M3, S5, etc., regardless of stoplights, how many trips you'll make to the track or grocery store. That is that led to my question and that was also my point.

I agree that for all practical reasons an IS350 is more than enough car for daily use, this is the reason I've told me g/f numerous time to not trade her's in for an IS-F. Her car rarely sees speeds of over 85mph and will only go to the track if there is a horse race. As mmarshall stated as well, I agree that for most people, I too, am not convinced the M3 or IS-F is worth the premium over a 350 or 335i.

Don't forget though, not everyone who owns any of those other cars owns it to race around town or track it; some people do buy these types of cars because they want to and they can.

However, as I said numerous times, it is just the cross shopping aspect of the IS350 vs his other choices that led me to ask if you were being sarcastic or serious...

Last edited by 92 SC400; 03-26-09 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 02:50 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you 92 SC400 for clarifying. This is exactly what I meant.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Thanks much CDN... I'm sure the poster doesn't know the full (8 month) history of my search. The Missus' personal choice has influenced this process ... for PVMike, there have been over 50 cars considered (and over 20 driven) so yes, I have never been focused on one set of vehicle, rather a multitude as CDN says...

Again, not knowing full history impacts interpretations here. Criteria has changed over time. Money is NOT the motivating factor, but IS a consideration, so the longer the process takes the more choices (and better deals) arise. Also, the longer I research and have test-driven, the more I move in one direction or another.

Lastly, the beauty (AND frustration) is the time invested to arrive at a final choice. While sold on the Z about a month ago, continued replies and feedback from great sources have me concerned over daily driving and reliability on a Z06 . A HUGE issue was a good BMW mechanic when considering BMWs... I'm not concerned about the warranty, I'm concerned with who can fix a car... that was eliminated yesterday, hence the rise of the M3 as a final choice. And yes, luxury and performance are big. AWD has become less of a factor... the last factor(s) fell into place this week, so the final criteia and factors are, at last, set.

So when the car is purchased, it's safe to say it's the "perfect" choice!!
And after 8 months, you can't decide between two cars that are on opposite sides of the spectrum?

Do you not see the absurdity of shopping for so long that you're seeing price degradation in previously released models, and then claiming that this is making it more difficult to decide? It's a continuous cycle.

And if these two very different cars can both somehow fit your criteria, let's face it - either car will be the "perfect" car.

Was that clear enough for you CDNROCKIES? I didn't realize I'd be chastised by a noob for asking the OP a question without following every one of his threads.
Old 03-26-09, 03:34 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Hmmm.....M3 vs Z06....this is very hard.

It depends on how much performance you desire. The Z06 looks like a Vette but it isn't really one.....aluminum chassis, carbon fiber, 500+ HP, super low CG, perfect weight distribution, brakes bigger than my wheels.......for all practical purposes, this car is a Ferrari and goes like one. Had it been built by almost anyone else, it would have cost half a million bucks. Plus, it's reliable, practically anyone in the world can fix it for cheap and parts are inexpensive.

M3 is a BMW, so you get the badge factor (depends on whether you consider this of any personal value or not; I don't). I think both cars have a lot of presence though in different ways. If you already have a regular type car, then the Z06 would be my choice. Put simply, while the M3 is an incredible performance machine, it is still a massaged sedan and not a true sports car. So this is what it'll come down to basically - do you want a practical car that'll go fast, or a sports car.

FWIW, I actually find the interior quality of the M3 WORSE than the Z06 unless you load it up with leather. The Z06 interior LOOKS dated but it is actually pretty high quality. People will probably ridicule me for this but go check out both cars in PERSON. I find the M3 interior cheap.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either vehicle. They're both high performance vehicles that'll put a smile on your face and get your heart pumping. For the person who recommended the IS350 -
Old 03-26-09, 04:58 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Russ please do NOT get an IS350 We will ban you from the Chicago meets

You have many great cars you are looking at I would take anyone of them over the IS350....

Heck I would sell the GS all day for the cars you are looking at and plan to in the near future

Quick Reply: DAWG choice... the Z06 wins!! BIG thanks to many here on CL!!!