Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota fights Smart with IQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 11:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Toyota fights Smart with IQ

I am loving these little cars that are starting to pop up in the line up of all of the manufacturers. I read about this tiny Toyota recently and wanted to share. I hope its not a repost

2010 Toyota iQ Review and Prices
by Chris Poole
Inside This Article
1. 2010 Toyota iQ Review and Prices
2. 2010 Toyota iQ Pictures
3. 2010 Toyota iQ Preliminary Specifications
4. See all Future Cars articles

The 2010 Toyota iQ will compete with the Smart ForTwo if it comes to U.S. shores. The European version is shown here.
Consumer Guide’s Impressions of the 2010 Toyota iQ

Toyota is out to get Smart with a clever new microcar. Though designed for Europe and Japan, the iQ could come stateside with Scion badges to help us cope with soaring fuel prices and growing urban congestion.

What We Know About the 2010 Toyota iQ

As if to answer critics of its big, thirsty, and environmentally hostile trucks, Toyota is launching a thrifty Earth-friendly microcar called iQ. The petite two-door hatchback bowed as a concept at the autumn 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show in Germany and was shown in production trim at the March 2008 Geneva Auto Salon in Switzerland. Billed as an “intelligent solution to urban transport,” the iQ was designed at Toyota’s ED2 studio in southern France, but will be built in Japan starting late this year. Toyota hopes to sell 100,000 in 2009. Europe and Japan are the intended markets, but the iQ is being whispered for U.S. sale as a 2010 model. If it comes here, it would be our market’s first direct alternative to the Smart ForTwo from Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler AG, a car generating much interest amid soaring fuel prices and a worsening economy.

The 2010 Toyota iQ uses a new, dedicated architecture and differs from the Smart in many ways despite a similar phone-booth silhouette and wheels way out at the corners. Where the German-brand mini drives its rear wheels with a small 3-cylinder engine mounted in back, the iQ has an up-front engine and front-wheel drive. The Toyota is also larger than the Smart, standing some 10 inches longer, nearly five inches wider, and 2.4 inches lower on a 4.7-inch-longer wheelbase. These larger dimensions combine with several packaging innovations to make the iQ a nominal four-passenger runabout versus the two-seat Smart. Toyota says the interior furnishes “3+1” accommodation, with room for one adult behind the front passenger and a second rear seat that can carry a small child or be folded up for cargo.

Toyota has yet to disclose full specifications, but says the iQ will initially offer a choice of two gasoline engines, likely a 3- and 4-cylinder, and a small diesel. A gas/electric option a la Toyota’s Prius hybrid is expected around 2010 or ’11. For the U.S., however, a 2010 Toyota iQ would likely use the 1.5-liter 4-cylinder gas engine that powers Toyota’s larger Yaris subcompact, if only because the two models have similar-size engine bays. Transmission? We’d look for a Smart-like 5-speed automated manual to maximize fuel economy and to please mostly shift-averse Americans.

Standard and optional equipment are still unconfirmed too, but the 2010 Toyota iQ should also follow the Smart in having standard side airbags, ABS, traction control, and maybe even an antiskid system. Like Daimler, Toyota sees its urban car not as a spartan price-leader but as a sophisticated, well-equipped vehicle for socially conscious trend setters. The iQ concept suggested this by sporting upscale features such as an audio/navigation system with heads-up display and steering-wheel controls, plus a large glass sunroof. We see both items as candidates for the showroom. Ditto 16- and 17-inch wheels, as well as jazzy trim options. We’ll be monitoring details as they’re released, so keep checking back with us for late news.

The 2010 Toyota iQ would likely get the 1.5-liter four-cylinder from Toyota's larger Yaris subcompact. The concept, which was unveiled in Europe, is shown here.
A Notable Feature of the 2010 Toyota iQ

Toyota says the iQ represents a “major milestone” in its vehicle development thinking, as engineers worked from the inside out to maximize room within this very small package. The company points to several space-saving innovations, starting with a smaller front differential that allows optimal powertrain positioning in concert with a new “center-point” steering gear. A compact flat fuel tank tucks safely beneath the rear floor. The heating/air conditioning components were also redesigned to be less intrusive without compromising function. That, in turn, allowed using a slim-line dashboard/center console that sweeps away so front occupants can sit further forward without being cramped. Doing so leaves room behind for an average adult on the passenger side and for the child-size “jump” seat on the driver’s side. Special slim-line front seatbacks and heavy use of electronic components also conserve space in the “3+1” cabin.

Buying Advice for the 2010 Toyota iQ

Toyota is said to be studying the iQ’s prospects for North American sale, which means a decision is probably some months away. The company is no doubt keeping a close eye on early demand for the Smart ForTwo. But assuming the iQ does come here, it should be positioned as a “proper,” if ultra-compact, car that’s fun-to-drive maneuverable and very easy on gas, of course. Safety may be another talking point, as Toyota expects the iQ to earn five-star ratings in European NCAP crash tests, which bodes well for passing similar U.S.-government trials. The iQ won’t lack “green” credentials either. Even non-hybrid models are projected to have CO2 emissions of around 100g/km, well below the upcoming 130g/km European Union mandate. Last but not least, the 2010 Toyota iQ may prove a more refined and practical microcar than the Smart ForTwo, owing to its extra room and Toyota’s penchant for smooth, quiet engines and robust vehicle structures.

But are enough Americans willing to buy an iQ for Toyota to sell it? Well, the Smart has developed a cult following here with its cute looks, park-anywhere size and high fuel thrift, so there’s little reason to think the iQ couldn’t do likewise, especially given Toyota’s reputation for durability and high resale value. Then again, Toyota might choose to market the iQ as a Scion, the youth-oriented brand that’s showing signs of needing a little sales spark. About all we can say for now is stay tuned.

2010 Toyota iQ Release Date: As noted, sales in Europe and Japan should be underway by early 2009. The U.S. roll out, assuming there is one, would likely be no earlier than autumn 2009 and could be later, depending on production capacity versus sales demand in other markets.

2010 Toyota iQ First Test Drive: If the above timing proves correct, U.S. journalists would likely get initial seat time in the third or fourth quarter of 2009.

2010 Toyota iQ Prices: It’s hard to be sure, what with the dramatic strengthening of the Japanese yen, but the “quality minicar” billing implies the iQ will cost more than a subcompact Yaris and less than a compact Corolla. We’d guesstimate a $13,000 floor, with a ceiling of maybe $17,500, depending on the number and type of options available.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota fights Smart with IQ-toyota-iq-concept-2007-732359.jpg  
Old 02-01-09, 11:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Side shot gives you the real idea of what the size of the car is.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota fights Smart with IQ-toyotaiqdrivereview3.jpg  
Old 02-01-09, 11:55 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's pretty cool!
Old 02-01-09, 11:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like the Smart car. I am loving the way Toyota wanted to gt in on the smart name and fought back with the "IQ" name
Attached Thumbnails Toyota fights Smart with IQ-19105_16711.jpg  
Old 02-02-09, 04:24 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6"2'. I don't see myself sitting in one of those any time soon.
Old 02-02-09, 04:41 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
I am also 6'2" and the Smart car is actually very roomy on the inside. You have to sit in it and experience it to believe it. I assume the IQ has similar exterior and interior dimensions as the Smart meaning it should be roomy as well.
Old 02-02-09, 05:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

There's about 47 threads already on the IQ. And it is planned to be the SCION iQ.
Old 02-02-09, 05:24 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by felixsc300
I am 6' 1/2" not only did I fit comfortably I greatly enjoyed the Smart Car a lot on my test drive. My only beef is I want the electric Smart Car. Will add my son is 6' 2" and had plenty of room.
Old 02-02-09, 05:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

smart car is dumb, mediocre mileage considering it size, high price, ghastly slow. You can get a corolla that matches/exceeds the mileage and have space for the same price
Old 02-02-09, 05:28 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
smart car is dumb, mediocre mileage considering it size, high price, ghastly slow. You can get a corolla that matches/exceeds the mileage and have space for the same price
+1 And I think they're hideous

The IQ is a little bit larger than the Smart but still smaller than the Yaris.
Old 02-02-09, 07:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

the ladies at work all laugh when they se them. It a cool looking car especially if its worked
Attached Thumbnails Toyota fights Smart with IQ-19105_16711.jpg  
Old 02-02-09, 09:26 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smart and the iQ are great for citys with old and very small roads like in Europe etc.
Doesnt really make sense for the US
Old 02-03-09, 01:09 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Toyota IQ was reviewed on Fifth Gear last night and they raved about it. The 3+1 seating worked really well with a 6'+ passenger in the rear able to sit comfortably behind a 6' passenger in the front. There was plenty of shoulder room too. The handling got the thumbs up and while the engine is only a 1 litre 3 cylinder and isn't quick, it suits the car well and good progress can be made. The seats are comfortable and overall was rated as a high quality product.
Old 02-03-09, 04:17 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Some video reviews....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evBfgLG1VwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_cYdfKjAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EU_8_e_vjM

I want this as a second car!
Old 02-03-09, 05:40 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice job Toyota. Rarely an originator but can always copy and make it better. Nevertheless, I guess all companies do it.

Quick Reply: Toyota fights Smart with IQ