Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GS-F is coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 02:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
I wonder if Lexus is going to go the same route next time around with sedan intros, GS-IS-LS-ES...?
I think the ES would probably have a shorter production cycle than the rest, since it should change with the Camry ?

Originally Posted by encore888
IMO the GS-F is a great idea, any maybe an LS-F, but if the GS-F gets a V10, what does the LS-F get--the same?
I still highly doubt they will make a LS-F, but if they do, I think it should be turbo-charged V12. Why bother if it can't at least match S65 performance in hp and low-end torque ?
Old 12-05-08, 02:35 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about an ES F...?
Old 12-05-08, 02:53 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
If Lexus really wants some excitement in the brand they could give us more coupe options. A GS coupe would be the coolest car. Big sized coupe with 500hp. No need for retracting top, just a serious coupe with power. Glorious...simply glorious!
They do it's called the SC but it simply doesn't cut it. Bring back the days of the 1SC that was an AWESOME GS coupe.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I still highly doubt they will make a LS-F, but if they do, I think it should be turbo-charged V12. Why bother if it can't at least match S65 performance in hp and low-end torque ?
Well there is the AMG S55, a V10 TT could compete with that I suppose.
Old 12-05-08, 03:07 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
While I do see the point of your post, I do not necessarily agree about the ISF.

Now that the hype has worn off, it is even more clear what a great car the ISF really is (IMO). It didn't just go through some initial reviews and then drop off the radar. This car is great, and because of that it has staying power.

It really has hung with both the M3 and C63 in every single comparo and has bested both of them in some tests. You win some tests, you lose some tests, but the fact that you're in every one with significant praise means that you've made it.

The M3 has a peaky engine and somewhat "hyper" driving dynamics.

The C63 has a super cheap interior.

The ISF has its flaws too, but so do the others.

It's just different from the BMW and Mercedes, which it had to be. Otherwise it was going to be seen as an imitator when in reality, Lexus did something that was different than the others but just as good. The IS-F has stamped its name on the top of the hill, right next to the M3 and C63. They did a great job with the car, and I think they will have similar success with future F products.
The complains I have with the IS-F is the extremely tacky bodywork repleat with fake exhuast tips (certainly will never be confused as a German sedan) and an interior that looks exactly like one from the IS350. The other cars have their flaws, but while the IS-F is a valliant first effort, it hasn't de-throned any Germans from their pedestals.
Old 12-05-08, 03:15 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
The complains I have with the IS-F is the extremely tacky bodywork repleat with fake exhuast tips (certainly will never be confused as a German sedan)
If the exhaust tips on the IS F are fake then those on the R8 and Ferrari California are fake too. I thought we went over this topic before...

Originally Posted by FKL
an interior that looks exactly like one from the IS350.
M3 interiors looks exactly like the regular 3er, C63 interiors looks exactly like the regular C and RS4 interior looks exactly like the A4 so what was your point?

Originally Posted by FKL
while the IS-F is a valliant first effort, it hasn't de-throned any Germans from their pedestals.
How did the first AMG C fair against the mighty M3? In my opinion Lexus did much better with their "first-ever" IS F than MB did with their "first-ever" C-class AMG. Not to mention that the IS F isn't designed from the ground up like the M3 and C63, it was started by several Lexus engineers on their own spare times WITHOUT PAY!!

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 12-05-08 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 03:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
How about an ES F...?
why would they even bother to have this car? compete with that? the tl-s?
Old 12-05-08, 03:27 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
why would they even bother to have this car? compete with that? the tl-s?
Nah... How about Buick LaCrosse Super?

Old 12-05-08, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Build it and they will come
IS-F, yes. GS-F, maybe, but I can't see much of a market for an LS-F. The chassis would be too stiff for the people who generally shop for, and buy, the LS, and the interior trim would probably lack wood......another LS hallmark.

The IS gets away with it because it is in the Lexus lineup as a sport-sedan model to start with. The GS might get away with it (time will tell) because it aims at a less conservative crowd than the LS. Maybe Henry or Andrew, among the LS enthusiasts here, might give one a look, but, in general, I just don't see much of a market for an LS-F. It would end up being like the VW Phaeton.

An argument, though, can be made that Mercedes manages to sell its top-line S-class cars in AMG form.....why not Lexus? True, but as I see it, it's apples and oranges. The type of driving that AMG models invite is more ingrained into those who buy upmarket German sedans than those of Lexus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-08 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 03:32 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexISguy
How about an ES F...?
That's precisely what I suggested (very tongue-in-cheek, of course) back on April 1 in this Front Page story for the LexusF.com website:
http://www.lexusf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238
Old 12-05-08, 03:32 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
If the exhaust tips on the IS F are fake then those on the R8 and Ferrari California are fake too. I thought we went over this topic before...
Those cars don't have body work that looks like it came out of an Asian rice catalog. There is something called understated class that the IS-F missed the mark on

M3 interiors looks exactly like the regular 3er, C63 interiors looks exactly like the regular C and RS4 interior looks exactly like the A4 so what was your point?:
...That those interiors are better than the IS, even in standard form. They have character, class and elegance. The IS looks standard Toyota, something out of a Camry, with a big ungodly bubbly looking dash structure. The Audi interior, btw, blows the other three out of the water, as usual. The IS-F interior is littered with cheap grey plastic where as the BMW and MB use real carbon fiber. Doesn't mean Mercedes-Benz has some explaining to do with Japanese-like dash materials. Tisk Tisk. At least they hit a grand slam with the steering wheel (as did Audi). The Lexus also feels like a, well, Toyota. Take the weight of the doors, very light. Not heavy vault doors of the Germans. Some may like that, I'm not into it on a car of this calliber.

How did the first AMG C fair against the mighty M3? In my opinion Lexus did much better with their "first-ever" IS F than MB did with their "first-ever" C-class AMG. Not to mention that the IS F isn't designed from the ground up like the M3 and C63, it was started by several Lexus engineers on their own spare times WITHOUT PAY!!
The first C AMG cars did not even remotely measure up to the BMW. I called the IS-F a "valliant first effort" for a reason. Just becuase they did better than Mercedes-Benz on their first try doesn't mean the other three haven't produced slightly superior, classier looking, cars, in my opinion.

I take everything into account, including attention to detail, where the IS-F fails in my mind. Compare the engine compartment of the Audi and Lexus. Audi has painted headers and real cabon fiber. The Lexus is a big mess of black plastic and wires. Tisk tisk. Maybe next time they will do it better.

In this class, Lexus needs to learn that attention matters. Subtle details, however small, are crucial to the overall package of the vehicle. The above picture shows the apparent motivation to create a truely beautiful automobile. Disparity between German and Japanese engineers I suppose.

Last edited by FKL; 12-05-08 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 03:36 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

what about the SC-F???

i wonder if a IS (convertable/coupe) -F is being considered?

i think im more excited about the redesign of the SC and the GS more than seeing the F badge get expanded to new cars..
Old 12-05-08, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lighthalo
what about the SC-F???
Doubtful. The SC's chassis, especially with the top down, is probably not stiff enough, and loses too much torsional/lateral rigidity, for the handling and steering-response requirements an F version would entail.
Old 12-05-08, 03:44 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
Those cars don't have body work that looks like it came out of an Asian rice catalog. There is something called understated class that the IS-F missed the mark on
Did I say anything about the body style? You mentioned exhaust, I replied about exhaust. Simple.

Originally Posted by FKL
The IS-F interior is littered with cheap grey plastic where as the BMW and MB use real carbon fiber.
WHAT?!!!

Dude, I am done discussing with you until you actually went to a Lexus dealership, actually sat in an IS F and compared its interior to the standard IS...

This is ridiculous...

Originally Posted by FKL
I take everything into account, including attention to detail, where the IS-F fails in my mind. Compare the engine compartment of the Audi and Lexus. Audi has painted headers and real cabon fiber. The Lexus is a big mess of black plastic and wires. Tisk tisk. Maybe next time they will do it better.
Since you took everything into consideration why didn't you mention that the IS F undercuts the RS4 in pricing by $10k? I don't care about you but I am more than willing to accept a so-called "messy" engine compartment for paying $10k less.
Old 12-05-08, 03:47 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Why is the 3GS not more succesful? I think its an awesome looking car, IMO its the original 4 door coupe. Plus Lexus quality and technology. And the new 350 and 460 engines are great. Why is it outsold so much by 5 series and E class? I really don't see what those two have to offer that GS doesn't.
Old 12-05-08, 03:53 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ren495
I really don't see what those two have to offer that GS doesn't.
Performance. Pure and simple.

the GS400 was the fastest sedan at one time which totally blew its competitors out of the water. The 3GS pretty much did everything good but nothing spectacular. The competitors (especially the 5er and M) caught up but the 3GS did not improve as much.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS-F is coming