Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Night Visibility with 5% Tint

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 12:26 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Night Visibility with 5% Tint

Do any of you with 5% tint on your front windows find that your visibility at night is significantly impacted (i.e. you have difficulty seeing things)? I have 12% now and I can see fine at night but I want it to be a little more tinted since it doesn't quite meet my privacy desires during the day.
Old 11-25-08, 12:54 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
Do any of you with 5% tint on your front windows find that your visibility at night is significantly impacted (i.e. you have difficulty seeing things)? I have 12% now and I can see fine at night but I want it to be a little more tinted since it doesn't quite meet my privacy desires during the day.
i had 5% in my jeep, it was a pain in the *** mostly if you were in an area with out streetlights and other lighting. backing up was kinda sketchy too.
Old 11-25-08, 12:56 PM
genki
Pole Position

I have 5% tint and it is hard at night. especially in rainy conditions. Backing up can be quite hard. i roll down my windows when i park because i cant see the curb! If you are in Cali be prepared to be pulled over. A lot.
Old 11-25-08, 02:32 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5% in my all of my rear windows (no tint allowed driver doors and up legally) and can't imagine trying to drive at night with the fronts smoked to. That would be flat out scary as I can hardly see out of the back as it is at night.
Old 11-25-08, 02:36 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got 5% all around and 35% on the front windshield. It is a little hard during the night with no streetlights but I have no problem when I am in the city. I do tend to get pulled over a lot though.
Old 11-25-08, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I got 5% all around and 35% on the front windshield. It is a little hard during the night with no streetlights but I have no problem when I am in the city. I do tend to get pulled over a lot though.

Are you sure, then, that your tint is legal in NY state? The cops probably wouldn't pull you over so much if it was, although one can't always tell just by looking at it.......sometimes you have to use a light meter.
Old 11-25-08, 03:13 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

haha i also have 5% tint on all my windows except for windshield. And i honestly hate it at night. its impossible to see people crossing the street, so everytime i have to make a turn i put the windows down to make sure there are no people. and the only way to see a car is if they have their headlights on at night, or else they are completely invisible.
Old 11-25-08, 03:28 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

I have 20% all around with a 5% front strip and sometimes i stick my head up and look through just for fun to see whatd it be like and even red lights seem dark to see during the day.. I cant imagine what driving with that all the time would be like, though ill admit it would be cooler then 20
Old 11-25-08, 05:07 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Um, so I'm all for tint since I definitely had full tint all around (never 5% though) & the po-po did make me tone it down and take the front tint off, BC has lots of rules that go with tint; but what I'm getting at here is why would you have tint that makes you hazzardous?
Old 11-26-08, 04:32 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys confirmed my suspicions that 5% would impede my view too much so I will stick with what I have.

It is funny how tint looks different on different cars. My LS has 20% on it and it looks plenty dark but my Range Rover has 12% and it doesn't look dark enough. I think that this is because the RR has much larger windows and a much larger windshield so more light is passing through to begin with.
Old 11-26-08, 05:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow 5% is low lol. When I pick up my next car I plan to do 15% all around and like 50% on the windshield lol. I'm more worried about not being able to see than the cops.
Old 11-26-08, 06:30 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Why would you tint the front windshield? That's really not a good idea.
Old 11-26-08, 07:23 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dark tints are all about style, but there is a considerable safety issue here. Tinting the windshield renders you blind at night as several have noted. In rain or fog you are practically helpless. Unlighted objects, like pedestrians, posts, poles, and blacked-out vehicles are invisible. How stylish you look with your ride wrapped around a telephone pole is a personal call.

If your sense of style trumps your instinct for self-preservation, insure heavily. Inform your friends, if they approve but secretly start getting up a "dead pool" on you, maybe your decision could use a re-think.
Old 11-26-08, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Dark tints are all about style, but there is a considerable safety issue here. Tinting the windshield renders you blind at night as several have noted. In rain or fog you are practically helpless. Unlighted objects, like pedestrians, posts, poles, and blacked-out vehicles are invisible. How stylish you look with your ride wrapped around a telephone pole is a personal call.

If your sense of style trumps your instinct for self-preservation, insure heavily. Inform your friends, if they approve but secretly start getting up a "dead pool" on you, maybe your decision could use a re-think.
I agree totally with Lil4X.

Dark tints, stylish or not, are DEFINITELY something that should be given up for the sake of night safety. That is one of the reasons why they are illegal........in addition to being risky for cops when they make traffic stops, because they can't see who may be going for a gun inside.

And, while opinions differ on the matter of "style", I personally don't think dark glass is even stylish to start with.
Old 11-26-08, 08:39 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

I understand everyones concern, however let me put something else out there.

I have been driving with 5% on my last 4 vehicles (almost a decade), and I feel that it actually MAKES you a better driver for all the reasons everyone is pointing out.

At night time it forces you to do a triple check to see if anything is moving, and I feel that it makes you more sensitive to subtile motions in the dark, as your visibility is limited.

If your eyesight is poor at night to begin with, it does make it more difficult some may argue impossible, but I do think that I am a much better driver at night because the tint has forced me to become more aware of my surroundings.

Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Night Visibility with 5% Tint