Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are some vehicular laws that you would like changed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 08:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What are some vehicular laws that you would like changed?

Once in a while, people complain about certain things their cars can or can't do.

Most of the time, it's because the car is limited by certain laws (or lack thereof) regarding build, design, and performance.

For example, in California (which I believe has the most automotive restrictions), you cannot have your front windows tinted, you MUST have a front license plate, and, in general, CANNOT BY LAW perform any performance modification on your car (no exhaust, intake, super/turbocharger, etc.).

So, what laws would you like to change? Can you give a specific reason WHY it should be changed?
If someone proposes a change, do you have a rebuttal against it?

Don't forget to tell us where you're located; different laws for different areas...

DISCUSS
Old 10-21-08, 08:47 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stricter laws, fines and enforcement on headlights, I am tired of SUV with high aiming low beams, stupid people with HID in their non HID lamps glaring the crap out everyone.
Old 10-21-08, 09:00 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think there are some really dumb laws like not being allowed to use fog lights unless there is bad weather.
Old 10-21-08, 09:06 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
i think there are some really dumb laws like not being allowed to use fog lights unless there is bad weather.
Really? Because i use my fogs all the time for the increased visibility.

Anyhow, one law i'd like changed, with some improvements to our roads of course, are speed limits; and left lane enforcement.

I say this after driving I-10 in West Texas at 80-90mph. It is a nice speed, and the road quality exceeds the speed limit (It could reasonably be 100 if you could enforce the passing only nature of the left lane), Even then however, it took a long time!

That being said, I would also like a repeal of the night speed limits in Texas.

Who came up with that?! 80 in the day, and 65 at night....
Old 10-21-08, 09:25 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want them, well at least in CA, i want them to get rid of vehicle modification laws. everything should be legal. and motorcycle exhausts noise levels should be regulated. im sick of the idiots who live down the street from me and driving their big bikes with the exhuast being heard down the street
Old 10-21-08, 09:46 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Height restrictions on these:

Wouldn't you love to get rear-ended (run over) by one of these?

Noise restrictions on these:

Apparently, these need to be revved constantly or they won't idle.
We get it fellas: you're a bad-@ss orthodontist.
Seriously, grow-up!

Also, on emissions: as long as the vehicle burns clean at the pipe, who cares
if it has headers, a turbo, etc. Ultimately the important thing is that the vehicle
burns somewhat cleanly, right? Why penalize enthusiasts for (in some cases)
reducing emissions?

And how is this any better than driving with a cell phone on your ear?

Put the dog in the back: the life you save could be mine...
Old 10-21-08, 09:55 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree that anything and everything regulated by the CA Air Resources Board needs to be reviewed and changed. CARB does not care about reducing emissions, though. They care about revenue. I'm afraid we're stuck with them. However, anything that passes at the pipe should be given a smog certificate and registration sticker.
Old 10-21-08, 09:55 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

front license plate requirement- its ugly and ruins the cars
speed limit increase: 65 to 70 people drive that fast anyways
agree with the motorcycle noise. i have to close my window on account of them
Old 10-21-08, 10:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

Noise restrictions on (motorcycles):

Apparently, these need to be revved constantly or they won't idle.
Originally Posted by RXSF
agree with the motorcycle noise. i have to close my window on account of them

I have to rebutt on this one.

Yes, motorcycle exhausts can be loud. The current restriction in California is 96 decibels, which is equivalent to the sound of a Subway train, but actually LESS than diesel trucks out on the road (they're about 100 dB). I can understand the frustration of motorcyclists who rev their bikes while parked, but that goes the same for a car revving an engine at a stop signal.

Most motorcycles NEED this for one reason: to let everyone on the road that we're here. Most people can't see us, but they sure will be able to hear us. Ever heard ambulance sirens when you can't see them? Same goes for motorcycles...
Old 10-21-08, 10:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 799 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I have to rebutt on this one.

Yes, motorcycle exhausts can be loud. The current restriction in California is 96 decibels, which is equivalent to the sound of a Subway train, but actually LESS than diesel trucks out on the road (they're about 100 dB). I can understand the frustration of motorcyclists who rev their bikes while parked, but that goes the same for a car revving an engine at a stop signal.

Most motorcycles NEED this for one reason: to let everyone on the road that we're here. Most people can't see us, but they sure will be able to hear us. Ever heard ambulance sirens when you can't see them? Same goes for motorcycles...
The thing is the ambulance sirens shoot the sound forward while exhausts point the noise backwards. With my music on, I usually don't hear the bike until it's pretty much right next to me. The main problem, however, is those jackasses on cruisers that have straight pipes and set off car alarms as they drive by...
Old 10-21-08, 10:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Virginia.........

Get rid of the personal-property tax we pay each year on assessed car values. Part of it is gone, but not all of it.

Get rid of the dual front/rear license-plate rule. I know it makes it easier for cops to get license numbers, but the front ones often get torn off or bent in car washes, and they make it more difficult to wash the front end of the car.

Put a moratorium on ANY new speed bumps and 3/4-way stop signs.

Put people in jail who are caught driving with suspended/revoked licenses.

Change yearly vehicle safety inspections to when the car is bought or sold, like in Maryland.

Get rid of the biannual emissions tests in urban counties, even if this means a loss of Federal money.

Federal............

Repeal the recent increase in CAFE gas-mileage standards. It will skew the market and consumer preferences.

Repeal the law that mandates tire-pressure indicators in new cars, and the law that will mandate stability-control systems in all cars in a couple of years. If people can't keep from spinning out on wet/icy roads, driving too agressively, or are just too lazy to check their own tires, they should not have a driver's license.
Old 10-21-08, 10:52 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on the height of those bro cars. As well with the front plate license plate. Anyone else wished the complete stop at a red light rule was gone?
Old 10-21-08, 10:57 AM
LexFather

All SUVs and Hondas outside the S2000 and NSX out the fast lane.
Express lanes where you can drive as fast as you want once u have a capable vehicle and take some drivers courses.
Total revision of the drivers license process. Its way to easy and any dumbass can get a license, climb in their civic and drive like a monkey.
Tickets for anyone with ridiculous headlight HID aftermarket kits blinding every person in the way b/c they think they are cool. Triple the fine for Honda owners.
Huge HUGE insurance discounts to those that take drivers courses and have track time. Why should people who drive better in more capable cars be held to the same standards as everyone else?
Tax discounts to those that
-have a hybrid
-have a vehicle that gets over 30 MPG AVERAGE
-chose to live close to work
-take public transportation (I know there are local subsidies in many areas)
-Huge fines to trucker who insist on driving with tires with no tread that BLOW on the road, leaving giant tires for you to swerve and avoid in the road. Throw them in jail for negligence.
-maintenance credits for people that can prove they keep their cars in top working order. It will help the enviroment and keep the car running better.
-slam people heads into a concrete wall that run red lights. In my 10+ years of driving, I am seeing more and more people run lights and just causing accidents.
-break peoples hands that don't use turn signals. I think they will get the point after the first hand is broken...

Sorry, I had a lot of sugar this morning

Old 10-21-08, 11:37 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
All SUVs and Hondas outside the S2000 and NSX out the fast lane.
Express lanes where you can drive as fast as you want once u have a capable vehicle and take some drivers courses.
Total revision of the drivers license process. Its way to easy and any dumbass can get a license, climb in their civic and drive like a monkey.
Tickets for anyone with ridiculous headlight HID aftermarket kits blinding every person in the way b/c they think they are cool. Triple the fine for Honda owners.
Huge HUGE insurance discounts to those that take drivers courses and have track time. Why should people who drive better in more capable cars be held to the same standards as everyone else?
Tax discounts to those that
-have a hybrid
-have a vehicle that gets over 30 MPG AVERAGE
-chose to live close to work
-take public transportation (I know there are local subsidies in many areas)
-Huge fines to trucker who insist on driving with tires with no tread that BLOW on the road, leaving giant tires for you to swerve and avoid in the road. Throw them in jail for negligence.
-maintenance credits for people that can prove they keep their cars in top working order. It will help the enviroment and keep the car running better.
-slam people heads into a concrete wall that run red lights. In my 10+ years of driving, I am seeing more and more people run lights and just causing accidents.
-break peoples hands that don't use turn signals. I think they will get the point after the first hand is broken...

Sorry, I had a lot of sugar this morning

ZOMG TURN SIGNALS!!! I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DON"T USE THEM!!!

Sorry, I meant to use caps.

I also agree on the driving test. My sister failed the driving portion of the test once and on the 2nd attempt, hit the curb but the instructor passed her.

Now she's one of those people who stop under traffic lights and passed stop signs that we all try to avoid since they're sticking into the intersection.

yea she's my sister but reckless and can't even park.

She hit 3 cars so far when pulling out of a driveway because she looks out for oncoming traffic only and not the car parked on both sides of the curb @_@

Also, make parking in no parking areas $500.00 fines + points.

I don't know if any of you people know how many idiots stop and hang out on 2 lane roads and cause major traffic issues in the bronx. WTFFFFFFFFFFF
Old 10-21-08, 11:41 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Doesn't it amazes you how lazy people are when they cant even move their finger 1 inch to turn the signals

Quick Reply: What are some vehicular laws that you would like changed?