Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good bye Lexus and BMW here we go again..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 04:07 PM
devious23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good bye Lexus and BMW here we go again..

im like most members here, i surf some threads for info or some for just laughs. its a cool community and some of you guys have been very helpful. im sure im not well known considering how many pages or hours of material ive read here dosent correspond to how many threads or replys ive listed. so to the many moderators and senior memebers thaks for the help or advice.

i recently purchased an 07 525 sport/navi. i sold my 05' LS430 w custom package im just going to make a few comments about both cars incase anyone wants to hear 1st hand info if not im sure this will end up in page 3 by monday why did i go back to bmw even though i sold my 745i for the lexus..the truth ? ride quality. im 32 and im 6'3" 220lbs, i loved the space in the LS430, comfy, roomy, it was superb but it was missing personality, or even the sensation of driving, it became bland and the exterior boxyness of the car became to much for my eyes. i felt old and was told i looked old. yes the car is rated #1 in dependability and off the charts on everything else, but it didnt move me. i was up for a change, mind you i had the car for 3yrs already and i did like the ls460 but to be honest i was also done w/ the v8 engine. i became a constant customer at the neighborhood gas stations. i was going every 4 -5 days and each time putting in 85 bucks, my wallet was taking a hit. so i decided to downgrade and went for the 5. i love my car, especially when i corner sometimes i push the limits as for the idrive i dont care for it but im use to it already. i do miss the back up camera..big time but i love the handle of the bmw, i always want to race but since im slow i race in my head anyway, i just bought a bodykit and putting the M6 rims on it, maybe ill post the pics and see what u guys think..
Old 09-26-08, 05:50 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad to see you left.
Did you mod your LS? It's not that boring once you modded it.
Old 09-26-08, 05:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by devious23
.... what u guys think..
We think that nobody ever taught you how to use the shift key.....

Old 09-26-08, 06:00 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing your thought process and impressions of the two cars with us.

Maybe you could check back in and give us an update of your thoughts in about a year or so? I think that would be interesting.

Either way, congrats and enjoy your new ride.

TripleL
Old 09-26-08, 08:27 PM
xioix
Racer

Why didn't you opt for the 5 with the back-up camera?

And congrats on the car, and hopefully it will serve its purpose and treats you right.
Old 09-26-08, 11:04 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

why did it take you so long to come back to BMW?..

Congrats!
Old 09-26-08, 11:26 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the LS430 later model(celsior here in japan) as well as the LS600hL. I have owned a 7 series for a year or so (sold it for the LS) and I feel the ride is better in the LS600hL. And the LS600hL is a better ride than the LS430. And BTW I am 32 and 220lbs at 6'1".
Old 09-27-08, 12:27 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

My father has a 07 530i with auto tranny. I love how it looks and how it handles and it feels much lighter than it looks. It is a great car except that it doesn't have the super silky smooth engine idling that a Lexus has. Don't give too much expectation to its free 4 year maintanence, since they suggested you to have the oil change every 12,500 miles(WTH?????), and I ignored their suggestion and took the car in for an oil and filter change at 4000 miles three months ago. I am almost 31 and can fully understand why you feel old in an LS, I would feel the same way if I drive a LS and it would look like my father's car haha. 5-series has a very broad age range in my opinion, it looks great if the driver is in his/her twenties, and it would still look great if the driver is sixty something year old, just like Honda Accord, fits almost everyone.
Old 09-27-08, 04:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I love the 5 series and I would kill to have a 550i with a 6MT. Unfortunately, our experience with BMW has been as expensive and unreliable as with our Audi.

But I think you can have lots of fun. I like BMW cause Lexus and MB don't offer enough MTs.
Old 09-27-08, 09:29 AM
devious23
Driver School Candidate

as far as the mods, i had 20" avus 501 rims plus eibach springs which i will sell for $50.00. the car was smooth but i wanted something tighter for a lack of a better word. i'll post some pics when i get everything installed and see what you guys think. sorry for my im or text msg writing and yes the ls460 is smooth but i wanted to save some money since my monthly payments are now 400.00 w/ gas being only 150.00 so im happy.
Old 09-27-08, 09:41 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You had an LS430 that was lowered and riding on 20's and someone told you the car looked old. Who said that, 18 year olds?

I also love the Bimmer 5 series. Congrats on the new ride. I'm not brave enough to risk the reliability we have with Lexus.
Old 09-27-08, 10:17 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

congrats

btw you dont have to leave CL
we always welcome open-minded auto enthusiasts hanging around sharing their opinions
im sure you know that already

id love to see pics of ur new 5 after the mods
Old 09-27-08, 08:22 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that Lexus most likely has overall better reliability than a BMW, but as a former Lexus Owner (GS430, RX330, GX470) I too was told over and over again don't buy a BMW due to the reliability nightmares. Knock on wood, several BMWs later, overall they were very reliable and the free maintenance is a good program too. Lexus service was great too but I just remember shelling out hundreds of dollars each time for routine service even for just a scheduled oil change.

There is also something very unusual about BMW owners, these vehicles are so fun to drive (even to make simple / short errands) that in the end we think it's worth any small hassle we have in the service dept. It's warped thinking but amazing true.
Old 09-27-08, 08:34 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by devious23
n.....so i decided to downgrade and went for the 5. i love my car, especially when i corner sometimes i push the limits as for the idrive i dont care for it but im use to it already. i do miss the back up camera..big time but i love the handle of the bmw, i always want to race but since im slow i race in my head anyway, i just bought a bodykit and putting the M6 rims on it, maybe ill post the pics and see what u guys think..
Congrats to you again for the new 5 series purchase. Quick question with your planned upgrades, they are both great choices, but couldn't you have used that money to upgrade & buy the 535i instead which eveyone says is an amazing engine? Either way as long as you are happy with what you drive than enjoy it.
Old 09-28-08, 07:23 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the 5 Nothing like a vehicle that follows your every command & makes you grin from ear to ear.. Times two for me.. Don't believe the hype about breakdowns, etc. My vehicles have been trouble free! Some folks just flat out neglect their cars because they don't having the cash to maintain ( be it living with mommy & just wanting to profile in a premium car) or just being plain old lazy to take the vehicle in for scheduled service. Bottom line... You take care of a car & it will take care of you. Enjoy your beautiful machine..

Quick Reply: Good bye Lexus and BMW here we go again..