Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tom's Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 09:12 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on your statements about Tom's. The only reason that I don't see Toyota doing anything about it is because of TRD. They have their own in-house racing division here in the states. I'm not quite sure of how prevalent they may be in Japan (as you normally see other tuners rather than TRD in Toyotas/Lexus) but here, they run the show on anything made to go fast within the brand. I agree that they are SERIOUSLY lacking parts and viable options for Lexus owners, but I think that they are trying to catch the boat... The IS-F is a HUGE gamble for a company that's known for making cars for the people that have no where to go in a hurry...
Old 08-31-08, 09:13 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I blame the IS45 being alot weaker than the IS-F on Lexus, cause of that damn direct + port injection that gave the car a very high compression rate, the supercharged IS45 wasnt able to get crazy power numbers.

If Toyota and TOMS worked together and wanted to develop a sport sedan we would have truely seen some magic. But if u read the story of the F, it wasnt Lexus/Toyotas from the start, it was one lexus employee and hes continous pushing and taking things into his own hands to produce his dream of having a high performance lex, Eventually they gave in. SO big up to that dude, i forget his name or his job, but i read the article somewhere in CL. MAD props to him

Seriously, the OLD farts at Lex/Toyota got to get with the program already.

Last edited by ndk83; 08-31-08 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-31-08, 09:14 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stage3
I agree on your statements about Tom's. The only reason that I don't see Toyota doing anything about it is because of TRD. They have their own in-house racing division here in the states. I'm not quite sure of how prevalent they may be in Japan (as you normally see other tuners rather than TRD in Toyotas/Lexus) but here, they run the show on anything made to go fast within the brand. I agree that they are SERIOUSLY lacking parts and viable options for Lexus owners, but I think that they are trying to catch the boat... The IS-F is a HUGE gamble for a company that's known for making cars for the people that have no where to go in a hurry...
Thats what i thought too, but TRD doesnt offer anything for lexus, strictly toyota. The in-house racing division for Lexus is now the F division.

DASHOCKER, whats TOMS car do u have?

Last edited by ndk83; 08-31-08 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-31-08, 09:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
Thats what i thought too, but TRD doesnt offer anything for lexus, strictly toyota. The in-house racing division for Lexus is now the F division.

DASHOCKER, whats TOMS car do u have?
Home made Tom's/TRD GS400

The Tom's IS pics that Mike posted looks fantastic! Why not offer such a package in the states ? Come on Lexus..
Old 08-31-08, 12:53 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Food for thought,

a bored out 3.7l /3.8l 2gr-fe v6 that could produce 'round 340hp in stock form, boosted up to 450hp!! call it the IS47, would be lighter than the is-F as its still a v6, would look better than the IS-F, no ugly roof bulge and would blow the doors off of the M3. and for all u tuners out there a simple retune of the ECU could get the car up to 470-475hp. M3 who?? Thats what lexus should have done. Oh and it would still be more luxurious than any car offered in its segment!

Last edited by ndk83; 08-31-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-31-08, 10:05 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota and Yamaha have always had a special relationship since Toyota's first sports car, the 2000GT, that Nissan decided not to pick up. I think that Tom's will be fine without an official affiliation like AMG.
Old 09-01-08, 02:21 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

This is more about Lexus than TOMS, Lexus would have benefitted more than they are now