Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insideline: GS350 vs. Genesis 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 03:02 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
This is the most retarded comparo ever.

It's like comparing the Genesis to the Mercedes S-Class, saying that the S-Class is the superior car, but giving first to Genesis because it is cheaper.
Exactly.....
Old 08-18-08, 03:18 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

This is the most retarded comparo ever

The perfect test for the Genesis using Edmunds logic of is the Cadillac CTS v6 DI vs the Genesis 4.6

Both cars invoice at $34k. Both MSRP at $37k. Both are rwd....apparently comparos don't take into account engine sizes.
Old 08-18-08, 03:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best way to sum this up is:

"You get what you pay for "
Old 08-18-08, 03:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

They should really compare Genesis V6 to ES350. This is the car it will be competing against, not GS or LS.

Not really their fault, it is the Hyundai that is targetting upper class in their commercials, so maybe thats why their sales goals are so low?
Old 08-18-08, 03:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Fail to see the problem here. Its so painfully obvious to me that they preferred the Genesis because it offers a lot for its money.
Old 08-18-08, 03:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

not the first time either, Hzundai constantly compared Veracruz to other luxury SUV's instead of Highlander and guess what, its sales are 8x lower than RX and 10x lower than Highlander...
Old 08-18-08, 03:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

And as you can see price was the determining factor in this test.

Code:
  Final Rankings
  	           Item Weight 	Genesis V8  GS 350
Personal Rating 	2.5% 	50.0 	100.0
Recommended Rating 	2.5% 	66.7 	83.3
Evaluation Score 	15% 	82.4 	84.0
Feature Content 	15% 	59.3 	63.0
Performance 	        20% 	96.8 	96.7
Fuel Consumption        20% 	84.2 	100.0
Price 	                25% 	100.0 	81.5

Total Score 	      100.0% 	68.5 	66.3
Final Ranking 	  	1 	2
  	  	             $42,000 	$49,760

Personal Rating (2.5%): Purely subjective. After the test, each participating editor was asked to rank the vehicles in order of preference based on which he or she would buy for his or her own use. Each editor was told to think of it as "My money, my daily driver, my choice would be..."

Recommended Rating (2.5%): After the test, each participating editor was asked to rank the vehicles in order of preference, based on which he or she thought would be best for the average consumer shopping in this segment. Each editor was told to think of it as "Your significant other's money, your conscience, your recommendation would be..."

31-Point Evaluation (15%): Each participating editor ranked both cars using a comprehensive 31-point evaluation process. The evaluation covered everything from exterior design to cupholders. Scoring was calculated on a point system, and the scores listed are averages based on all test participants' evaluations.

Feature Content (15%): Editors picked 10 significant distinguishing features they thought would be most beneficial to a consumer shopping in this segment. Each test vehicle was then given a score based on which of those features it possessed. More points were awarded when these features were standard (3 points), optional and present on this test vehicle (2 points), optional but not present (1 point), and no points were given if the feature was unavailable on a given vehicle. The score given here represents the percentage of points, out of a total possible 30 points. Feature content and price are weighted equally for this "what you get for the money" comparison test.

Performance Testing (20%): We subjected these cars to our standard set of performance tests. Scores were calculated by giving the best car in each specific performance category 100 percent. The other car was awarded points based on how close it came to the best-performing car's score.

Fuel Consumption (20%): Fuel consumption is an important purchase motivation, especially in fuel-efficient vehicles such as these, so this category was weighted heavily. Using EPA combined fuel economy ratings as the basis for comparison, we awarded a score of 100 percent to the more fuel-efficient vehicle. The less-efficient vehicle was scored proportionally based on how close it came to the better-performing vehicle's fuel consumption.

Price (25%): The numbers listed were the result of a simple percentage calculation based on the less expensive vehicle in the comparison test. Using the as-tested prices of the actual evaluation vehicles, the less expensive vehicle received a score of 100, with the remaining vehicle receiving a lesser score based on how much it costs. Price and feature content are weighted equally for this "what you get for the money" comparison test.
Old 08-18-08, 03:38 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Fail to see the problem here. Its so painfully obvious to me that they preferred the Genesis because it offers a lot for its money.
Well is cleary does not offer more

1. cooling seats
2. MPG MPG MPG
3. Performance
4. carpeting in the trunk
5. less cheapo plastic.

Yes it does offer a lot for the money. But that does not mean more. But it does offer more cylinders for less money but less MPG and performance.
Old 08-18-08, 03:41 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
And as you can see price was the determining factor in this test.

Code:
  Final Rankings
  	           Item Weight 	Genesis V8  GS 350
Personal Rating 	2.5% 	50.0 	100.0
Recommended Rating 	2.5% 	66.7 	83.3
Evaluation Score 	15% 	82.4 	84.0
Feature Content 	15% 	59.3 	63.0
Performance 	        20% 	96.8 	96.7
Fuel Consumption        20% 	84.2 	100.0
Price 	                25% 	100.0 	81.5

Total Score 	      100.0% 	68.5 	66.3
Final Ranking 	  	1 	2
  	  	             $42,000 	$49,760

[

Price (25%): The numbers listed were the result of a simple percentage calculation based on the less expensive vehicle in the comparison test. Using the as-tested prices of the actual evaluation vehicles, the less expensive vehicle received a score of 100, with the remaining vehicle receiving a lesser score based on how much it costs. Price and feature content are weighted equally for this "what you get for the money" comparison test.

If price was so important that a luxury nameplate Lexus should not of been in the test at all.
Old 08-18-08, 03:45 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Give me a break.

If the GS 460 snaps off 0-60 in 5.5 or 5.6 with 33 less horsepower than the Genesis then that's considered a whipping by any standard.
Um, if one car gets 5.5s, and the other car gets 5.6s, that's not a whipping by my definition. Whatever floats your "standard" though.

Plus, the Genesis V8 has more hp, but the GS460 has more torque.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
And the fuel efficiency of the 460 is not far off the 350, so that'd be another loss for Hyundai.
The Genesis 4.6 gets better EPA mpg than the GS460.

As we all know, the mpg from track tests are virtually useless, as we don't know how the hell each car was driven.
Old 08-18-08, 03:52 PM
LexFather

A couple things.
1. Edmunds reviews are on par with C&D butt wipes. Written by people that drive Elements and have the rational of putting on sun tan lotion at the mall.

2. I am not offended by the result, clearly it was based on price at the end. I think the JEST of this article is the Genesis, winning or losing this comparo, is pretty credible to battle the GS and others in this class.

You see some people don't care that the GS is built in Tahara or that its won design awards. Some people go look at MSRP and see the Genesis looks nearly as nice, is bigger with considerable power with a good interior and well, price wins.

I totally understand that. The Genesis is no 1/2 halfed effort like a G20 of years ago. This is the REAL DEAL.

Personally, I am buying the GS but when I see a Genesis, I see a damn good car.

Old 08-18-08, 05:19 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

I know the purpose of the article was to try and impress how far Hyundai has come, but it really just made me more excited to drive my car. All of the great things they were saying about the GS simply made me smile!
Old 08-18-08, 05:55 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did I miss the snob appeal in Edmund's calculations?!
Old 08-18-08, 08:22 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

All of this talk about price and how that is why the Hyundai won, but if you remember, that is exactly what Lexus did in when they first developed the LS400 and it was going against the BMW 7 and Mercedes S Class. Hyundai is doing what Lexus did (minus the dealer network) 20 years later.
Old 08-18-08, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by theanimala
All of this talk about price and how that is why the Hyundai won, but if you remember, that is exactly what Lexus did in when they first developed the LS400 and it was going against the BMW 7 and Mercedes S Class. Hyundai is doing what Lexus did (minus the dealer network) 20 years later.
Not totally accurate here b/c the LS simply trumped the Germans everywhere, from luxury, to features, to quietness, to power to ride to quality. The added bonus was the lower price.

The Genesis is not clearly superior to its competition how the LS was but its very comparable to it, with the price being a major factor.

Quick Reply: Insideline: GS350 vs. Genesis 4.6