Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Stick Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 03:52 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Well I taught a girlfriend once and then right after I did that I had to replace my clutch. Then I tried teaching my roomate and he just can't do it. My clutch isnt a good one to learn on.
I agree, I don't think Subaru transmissions are a good place to start teaching others on how to drive stick....
Old 08-12-08, 04:20 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know why people who know how to drive stick make a big deal about it. Driving a stick shift isn't a rocket genius. I learned how to drive with a stick shift, and drove stick shift for the longest time. You can learn how to drive stick shift in less than 30 mins, if you are not a complete moron.

With that said, I agree that stick can be fun for a while but you just get tired of it after a while. I'd take new DKG or trick gear box (such as the one from IS-F) over regular stick any given day.
Old 08-12-08, 05:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

another thing to add to this, while lexus it not ferrari, it has cars to give those who crave performance, and so what lexus is the "sportiest" brand IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE GET THAT THROUGH SOME OF YOUR HEADS NOT EVERYONE IS SPEEDING IN BETWEEN CARS GOING THROUGH CANYON ROADS some of us like nice quite rides with comfortable cushy seats that make you feel like you are being swept away and not thrown into your seat at wot. Lexus provides enough straight line speed and a few turn better then a boat, but some aren't meant to be like a BMW m3. but in the end, most of the time IF we do need speed it's just to avoid accidents or to overtake someone to get onto the freeway. This is OT but if i see one more person complain about sportiness i will flip IF IT AIN'T SPORTY ENOUGH FOR YA DON'T BUY IT AND STOP *****ING!!!! please continue

Last edited by RXGS; 08-12-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 07:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
I agree, I don't think Subaru transmissions are a good place to start teaching others on how to drive stick....
No, probably not.
Old 08-12-08, 09:28 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ST430
This is what really is comical....saying that the most "thrilling drive" is in a manual. Have you ever been to Buttonwillow/Willow/Streets, much less your basic auto-x? The thrill is in the driving and mastery of the vehicle, not necesarily in the transmission. If I can drive as fast or faster in DSG style clutch, it is not less "thrilling"...
That's just your personal opinion. Yes, I have auto-x, drag stripped, and been to the circuit tracks. And I absolutely love the challenge a manual presents

The fact is there are many out there who would opt out for a manual if Lexus gave them a choice.

Because....? , I guess vehicles like the GT-R are so boring in comparison too a stick shift corolla. "
That's a little too exagerating isn't it?

One of the reasons why I would never consider the GTR is the fact that its not offered in a true manual. Go to an enthusiasts website like my350z.com, where a ton of GTR fanatics are at, and you will hear the same thing from a significant amount of enthusiasts.

In the same sense, that would be another reason why the M3 is a clear choice over the ISF. The ISF in manual would have definately been great

If you think Acura is "sporty", you might want to go back to vtec.net where you belong.
Lmao! That was random... who ever said I owned an Acura? When did I ever even mention Acura? I love it when people start referring to personal insults. It just shows the type of character they are

My bottom point is Lexus should start offering manuals as an additional option. I think Lexus as a luxury brand is an incredible company. (My dad's 06 GS430 is a wonderful machine). But they do lack in the sport/coupe department.

I just don't ever see myself spending over $60,000 dollars for a sports car that doesn't even come in manual. If im going to spend that kind of money, im going to want the most exciting drive I can get.

Old 08-12-08, 09:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Honda, Nissan and Mazda have WONDERFUL manual transmission / clutches.

My MX-5 (Miata) is a bit more challenging to drive smoothly than I had expected, but I love it.
Old 08-12-08, 10:10 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
That's just your personal opinion. Yes, I have auto-x, drag stripped, and been to the circuit tracks. And I absolutely love the challenge a manual presents
Wait, you have gone to these venues in what a 200hp car or something? Your basic Auto-X only requires 1-2 gears at most, drag strips is nothing unless you consider clutch slipping / power shifting visceral somethow, and circuit tracks....somehow i doubt this.

The fact is there are many out there who would opt out for a manual if Lexus gave them a choice.
This is such a funny statement....yes there are many who would opt for manual, but if the SC300 Manual 5-speed was on such evidence, many more would of chosen not to.

One of the reasons why I would never consider the GTR is the fact that its not offered in a true manual. Go to an enthusiasts website like my350z.com, where a ton of GTR fanatics are at, and you will hear the same thing from a significant amount of enthusiasts.
350Z? It's a nice coupe, but....no comment.

In the same sense, that would be another reason why the M3 is a clear choice over the ISF. The ISF in manual would have definately been great
I would love to see the breakdown of M3 sales of manual / SMG....

Lmao! That was random... who ever said I owned an Acura? When did I ever even mention Acura? I love it when people start referring to personal insults. It just shows the type of character they are
Are you making fun of yourself and your statement that Lexus is the least sportiest of brands or are you actually arguing that Acura is sportier? :X

My bottom point is Lexus should start offering manuals as an additional option. I think Lexus as a luxury brand is an incredible company. (My dad's 06 GS430 is a wonderful machine). But they do lack in the sport/coupe department.
Yet, you have still made no point why a manual would be superior to one of the newer advanced manumatics. No, rationale whatsoever than stroking your "i can shift and like the feel of it" ego. As another gentleman pointed out above, once you have done it enough times...who cares.

I just don't ever see myself spending over $60,000 dollars for a sports car that doesn't even come in manual. If im going to spend that kind of money, im going to want the most exciting drive I can get.
And you're entitled to your opinion no matter how futile it is. Since owning 2 Supra TT's w/ 6-speeds and swearing by the manual, I've changed my mind a lot since the newer DSG manumatics have shown up. I cannot fathom spending on anything else unless it was a purposeful race car a la my old Evo...

Last edited by ST430; 08-12-08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 10:12 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A manual tranny must be an option in any sports or sporty car (which ISF and is350) are.

I am not sure if anybody has mentioned it but not only manual is more fun, its just sexier.
Old 08-13-08, 10:21 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I would love to see the breakdown of M3 sales of manual / SMG....
The manual outsells it significantly and holds an edge in resale as well. This of course could be because the SMG was a gen 1 product - or it could be because people driving the M3 like stick

PS - do you really think Lexus makes a more sporting car than Acura? That's kind of funny IMHO.
Old 08-13-08, 10:46 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Everyone has their preferences and since the fun factor is subjective, it can be equally fun driving an automatic or a manual tranny. So the argument about which is more fun to drive can stop here.

The problem here however is that Lexus does not give their customers that option like other car makers do. Instead Lexus decides what's better for you whether you like it or not
Old 08-13-08, 12:21 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doug_999
The manual outsells it significantly and holds an edge in resale as well. This of course could be because the SMG was a gen 1 product - or it could be because people driving the M3 like stick

PS - do you really think Lexus makes a more sporting car than Acura? That's kind of funny IMHO.
I consider "sporting cars" as one that can be tracked....as much as Honduh done in taming FWD torque steer, it still cannot match quick steering rwd chassis vehicles. As for their SH-AWD offerings, when it is competitive track wise w/ an EVO / WRX, then i'll be a believer, otherwise:

IS > TSX / TL

GS > TL / RL
Old 08-13-08, 12:31 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

This is such a funny statement....yes there are many who would opt for manual, but if the SC300 Manual 5-speed was on such evidence, many more would of chosen not to.
Which is why I said SPORTS cars & Luxury SPORTS cars should have an option for a manual. Don't tell me you think the SC is sporty

350Z? It's a nice coupe, but....no comment.
I don't own a 350Z. How about we stop the guessing game. I don't see how thats relevant.

Are you making fun of yourself and your statement that Lexus is the least sportiest of brands or are you actually arguing that Acura is sportier? :X
You seem to be the only one here that keeps on bringing Acura into the discussion. I have never discussed Acura in this thread.

Yet, you have still made no point why a manual would be superior to one of the newer advanced manumatics. No, rationale whatsoever than stroking your "i can shift and like the feel of it" ego. As another gentleman pointed out above, once you have done it enough times...who cares.
It's all about personal preference. Driving a manual car is a completely different experience. Evidently, a manual isn't for you.

And you're entitled to your opinion no matter how futile it is. Since owning 2 Supra TT's w/ 6-speeds and swearing by the manual, I've changed my mind a lot since the newer DSG manumatics have shown up. I cannot fathom spending on anything else unless it was a purposeful race car a la my old Evo...
If the DSG-like transmissions are right for you, then great. But guess what? Not everyone is looking for one in a sports car. Which is why, like I have said many times over, every sports car / luxury sports car should have the OPTION of a true manual. It shouldn't be too much to ask.

I'll drop this subject since its purely subjective and we could go on and on... but the fact is, there are alot of people out there who prefer a manual in a sports /sporty car. Taking away the option for one is just closing the doors for potential customers.
Old 08-13-08, 12:32 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by newr
Everyone has their preferences and since the fun factor is subjective, it can be equally fun driving an automatic or a manual tranny. So the argument about which is more fun to drive can stop here.

The problem here however is that Lexus does not give their customers that option like other car makers do. Instead Lexus decides what's better for you whether you like it or not
Perfectly said. I completely agree with everything you just stated
Old 08-13-08, 12:35 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The auto for the M3 is a $2700 option. How's that for an incentive to get the stick?
Old 08-13-08, 12:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The auto for the M3 is a $2700 option. How's that for an incentive to get the stick?
$2700 is a drop in a bucket for a vehicle of that price...especially for SMG

Quick Reply: The Stick Shift