Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend First Drive: 2009 BMW 750i

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 07:06 PM
LexFather

Post Motor Trend First Drive: 2009 BMW 750i

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

It's not easy to replace flame surfacing, the Bangle butt, and iDrive with a new car that's just as radical. Without appearing to try, BMW has pulled this off with equally controversial styling and potentially infuriating new technology. American luxury-car buyers will have the choice of just one version when it launches in November: the 750i, which means we get it only with the new 4.4L twin-turbo V-8, making 407 hp and 442 lb-ft in Euro trim. The engine first appeared in the X6, in which it is rated 400 hp and 450 lb-ft for the U.S. BMW says fuel efficiency is 1.8 percent better than the outgoing 750i, achieves ULEV2 and EU 5 emissions standards, and is the most efficient car in its class.

The two 7s we won't get, initially at least, are the 740i, with its twin-turbo 3.0L six pumped up to 326 hp, and the 730d, an all-new 245-hp 3.0L turbodiesel. With BMW promoting the twin-turbo V-8 as a V-12 replacement and the twin-turbo six worthy of a V-8, that smaller gas engine should be U.S.-bound in time for 2011 Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards. Despite the quickly changing market, BMW's V-12 isn't dead. BMW considers it necessary for certain Asian luxury markets. U.S. import chances look slim and unnecessary. The new V-8 launches the 750i very quickly. With the turbos located inside the eight's vee, there's a much shorter distance between the turbos and the inlet manifold, so it spools up seamlessly.

Hide your kids!!!

Old 07-25-08, 07:59 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to admit it, but the new 7 design is growing on me.
Old 07-25-08, 08:32 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

407hp is not enough. this thing needs to be chipped to make at least 600hp.
Old 07-25-08, 08:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipspeed
407hp is not enough. this thing needs to be chipped to make at least 600hp.
Nah, it should have 1100hp. Very disappointing BMW!.

Old 07-25-08, 09:39 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow it actually looks worse than the current design. The back isnt that bad thought kinda looks like an LS460.
Old 07-25-08, 09:47 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Somehow it actually looks worse than the current design. The back isnt that bad thought kinda looks like an LS460.
I guess I have to see it in person. Plus with times all of these designs grow on you. I hated the last 7series design with such a passion in 2002.........I bought one in 2005! lol
Old 07-25-08, 10:32 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like an Accord.
Old 07-25-08, 11:15 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

LS460 wannabe IMO.
Old 07-25-08, 11:58 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i think it looks a lot cleaner (which i think is good) ... but i agree that amount of hp just doesnt seem like enough
Old 07-26-08, 12:08 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I love it. From the moment I saw the press photos I was captivated by the wide aggressive frontal and the stretched side appearance. The overall product is a very elegant yet also subtly aggressive car. Typical BMW, but also with new design cues incorporated. From the side it actually resembles a Maserati Quattroporte in some regards, yet the rear and front areas allow for that BMW differentiation when viewed from the side indicating that this car is a BMW.

The interior looks very nice. Much cleaner and high quality looking than the previous 7 series, which was hideous inside and out in my honest opinion.

Can't wait for the LS vs 7 vs S vs XJ vs A8 comparison!
Old 07-26-08, 12:15 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
... but i agree that amount of hp just doesnt seem like enough
Just out of curiosity: How much horsepower do you need?

The average BMW customer in the US is status oriented buying his or her BMW for the badge, not because of the performance and handling qualities. If BMW can make the 7er perform better than the last generation with "only" 407 horsepower while at the same time lowering emissions and improving gas mileage, then I would say this is an achievement by itself. Who needs more power then? Power that most likely will only look good on paper but will never be "exploited" to its true potential by the average 7 series owner.

In fact, most customers in this class, especially if they're above a certain age, will place more emphasis on comfort than sheer performance. People who buy Mercedes S600s for example buy them because of status and status alone. You'll have to work very hard to find an S600 owner who bought their S600 in order to smoke Ferraris or Porsches at the stoplight (those people don't even go for the S65 AMG). Most of these cars are also chauffeur driven, especially an S600.

The reality is that LS460, S550, A8 4.2 etc. owners rarely drive their cars in a sporty and aggressive manor. These people buy their cars for reasons such as the badge, comfort, safety, refinement, design etc., but rest assured that "sporty (aggressive) driving" isn't one of them, or if it is, then it is at the bottom of the list.
Old 07-26-08, 05:38 AM
cajunboy
Driver

wow, the back of the car got almost all the element of the lexus ls...wonder who is ahead of the styling curve..
Old 07-26-08, 06:13 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

We'll soon be hearing from BMW lovers that Lexus copied BMW...

Along with the taillights and overall reminiscent look to the LS460 rear, check out those familiar exhaust tips. Take it as a compliment, Lexus.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_07.html
Old 07-26-08, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,388 Posts

I think it looks a lot better than the current one.

The interior is a pretty ugly hodge-podge though.

Old 07-26-08, 08:32 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past 10 years, car horsepower has shot through the roof, while fuel economy, driver skill, and the speed limit has stayed the same.

I wish instead they kept the horsepower pretty much the same, lost or maintained weight (which happens with smaller engines), and had the fuel economy be the number that kept going up.

Auto racing series are always suppressing engine sizes in an attempt to have the cars not overpower driver skill. I think we are definitely at or over the edge in terms of the cars being more than most drivers can handle. Look at the number of Ferrari Enzos and other cars like that being totaled by driver error...

Quick Reply: Motor Trend First Drive: 2009 BMW 750i