Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW ‘M’ division to use hybrid technology in the long-term

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 10:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 139 Posts
Default BMW ‘M’ division to use hybrid technology in the long-term

Posted: July 25th, 2008

BMW ‘M’ division to use hybrid technology in the long-term

We’ve previously heard that that BMW’s M division is considering V6 turbocharged engines for future M models to cut CO2 emissions. Well, now BMW M GmbH is reportedly considering hybrid-drive in the long-term. Currently, output of conventional combination of a gasoline-engine and electric motor is still too low for the high-performance division to put into production models.

According to BMW M GmbH head of development Albert Biermann, BMW is looking to transfer over the technology it will start using in its Formula 1 cars in the 2009 season called KERS. KERS, which stands for Kinetic Energy Recovery System, has a hybrid module consisting of an electric motor, generator and a battery.

The hybrid module is said to be five times smaller and about five times more powerful than in a conventional hybrid. At low speeds, the energy is recovered and saved to the electric-motor and then used later for additional power.

There is no word when BMW will use the technology in production M models.

Source: Auto Motor und Sport
source
Old 07-25-08, 01:11 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toyota better hurry up with the FT-HS to show how it should be done
Old 07-25-08, 02:14 PM
LexFather

Its official. M now truly stands for MASS. The days of true M cars are gone in favor of sales, making them heavier, making them easier to drive and putting more power than they need. If I want all that, I'll get an AMG or a F car thank you.

You should see the articles in EVO/Car and even the American mags in the editorial columns. Loyal BMW owners do not like this "M" mass trend at all. The new M cars never finish higher than the older cars in "M" comparos.

Are they superb still? You bet. However, they really have lost what made them truly special.

Old 07-25-08, 04:03 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

*sigh* ... bimmer ... i hope they have a good big secret plan they're working from ...
Old 07-25-08, 05:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Its official. M now truly stands for MASS. The days of true M cars are gone in favor of sales, making them heavier, making them easier to drive and putting more power than they need. If I want all that, I'll get an AMG or a F car thank you.

You should see the articles in EVO/Car and even the American mags in the editorial columns. Loyal BMW owners do not like this "M" mass trend at all. The new M cars never finish higher than the older cars in "M" comparos.

Are they superb still? You bet. However, they really have lost what made them truly special.
Mike, I agree with you. The options on the M5 are amazing - you can even get soft close doors. Why they put things like this on their performance car I do not understand.

YET, at the same time, I know at least one 550 owner who is seriously considering upgrading to a M5 and one of the main reasons is the goodies that it offers coupled with a sweet sounding 500hp engine....Not sure if this would happen if the car was a stripper (and how can you even do that when it is supposed to be above the lower 5-series cars?).

Last edited by doug_999; 07-25-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-25-08, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Mike, I agree with you. The options on the M5 are amazing - you can even get soft close doors. Why they put things like this on their performance car I do not understand.

YET, at the same time, I know at least one 550 owner who is seriously considering upgrading to a M5 and one of the main reasons is the goodies that it offers coupled with a sweet sounding 500hp engine....Not sure if this would happen if the car was a stripper (and how can you even do that when it is supposed to be above the lower 5-series cars?).
its a two edged sword (I think u said that today lol). One one hand it helps sales as it attracts more buyers. On the other hand it pisses off the old M owners and purists.

It is clear if you want the older experience, you just buy an older car. Its rare for a new car today to not get bigger/heavier/more complex.

I just wish M cars would keep some of the tech off and weight off to truly continue to set the bar.

Old 07-25-08, 06:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Which is one of the reasons why they made the CSL right? However that is even more expensive than a regular M car. Maybe they should offer less features on the base M and make a luxury/technology package for those who want the goodies.
Old 07-25-08, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg
Which is one of the reasons why they made the CSL right? However that is even more expensive than a regular M car. Maybe they should offer less features on the base M and make a luxury/technology package for those who want the goodies.
Well another two edged sword In Euro reviews, they liked the CSL though you cannot drive it in the rain (b/c of tires). Then there is less insulation, no radio, no A/C etc.

So then they question why buy it when yes its lighter but you lose all the reasons a M3 is such a good high performance car that can be used daily. They picked the base 911 still.

I find the CSL to look so **** though I'd get it on that alone.

Old 07-25-08, 09:04 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Porsche gets away with this on their GT2 and GT3 - less but costs more. I think this is because they really perform and have the high performance bits to go with it.

If however you take a regular car and you simply discontent it, then it should NOT cost more.
Old 07-26-08, 12:02 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i always think its funny when its the same product w. fewer benefits but overall it costs more ... who buys that!
Old 07-26-08, 09:54 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Thats smart. Just think how fast the RX400h is. Attach a hybrid drive to the 4.8L and that would be pretty sweet.
Old 07-26-08, 11:28 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Well another two edged sword In Euro reviews, they liked the CSL though you cannot drive it in the rain (b/c of tires). Then there is less insulation, no radio, no A/C etc.

So then they question why buy it when yes its lighter but you lose all the reasons a M3 is such a good high performance car that can be used daily...
The A/C and radio were options. Most of the 1500 built came with it. The tires are something that's easily changed.

The CSL in your picture happens to be the "Loaded" CSL that ran the ring in something like 7:22.
Old 07-27-08, 11:40 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

This is even more disgusting than the hybrid LF-A, which was about as disgusting as I thought disgusting would be. Oh well, BMW already sold out big time with the move away from NA, so I guess I should have expected this...
Old 07-27-08, 05:55 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Time to wrap your mind around new ways to wring performance out of a car.

This is just a gimmick to capitalize on the F1 link tho......... Toyota where the heck is the FT-HS?
Old 07-29-08, 12:44 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Why not?

The customer is king. If these things are in demand, then BMW would be ignorant not to offer it on an M product as the customer may very well go over to the competition (RS, AMG and F) that might offer what he/she wants.

Quick Reply: BMW ‘M’ division to use hybrid technology in the long-term