ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   BMW ‘M’ division to use hybrid technology in the long-term (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/369445-bmw-emi-division-to-use-hybrid-technology-in-the-long-term.html)

Gojirra99 07-25-08 10:55 AM

BMW ‘M’ division to use hybrid technology in the long-term

Posted: July 25th, 2008

BMW ‘M’ division to use hybrid technology in the long-term

We’ve previously heard that that BMW’s M division is considering V6 turbocharged engines for future M models to cut CO2 emissions. Well, now BMW M GmbH is reportedly considering hybrid-drive in the long-term. Currently, output of conventional combination of a gasoline-engine and electric motor is still too low for the high-performance division to put into production models.

According to BMW M GmbH head of development Albert Biermann, BMW is looking to transfer over the technology it will start using in its Formula 1 cars in the 2009 season called KERS. KERS, which stands for Kinetic Energy Recovery System, has a hybrid module consisting of an electric motor, generator and a battery.

The hybrid module is said to be five times smaller and about five times more powerful than in a conventional hybrid. At low speeds, the energy is recovered and saved to the electric-motor and then used later for additional power.

There is no word when BMW will use the technology in production M models.

Source: Auto Motor und Sport
source

UberNoob 07-25-08 01:11 PM

toyota better hurry up with the FT-HS to show how it should be done
:D

LexFather 07-25-08 02:14 PM

Its official. M now truly stands for MASS. The days of true M cars are gone in favor of sales, making them heavier, making them easier to drive and putting more power than they need. If I want all that, I'll get an AMG or a F car thank you.

You should see the articles in EVO/Car and even the American mags in the editorial columns. Loyal BMW owners do not like this "M" mass trend at all. The new M cars never finish higher than the older cars in "M" comparos.

Are they superb still? You bet. However, they really have lost what made them truly special.

Faymester 07-25-08 04:03 PM

*sigh* ... bimmer ... i hope they have a good big secret plan they're working from ...

doug_999 07-25-08 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT (Post 3707027)
Its official. M now truly stands for MASS. The days of true M cars are gone in favor of sales, making them heavier, making them easier to drive and putting more power than they need. If I want all that, I'll get an AMG or a F car thank you.

You should see the articles in EVO/Car and even the American mags in the editorial columns. Loyal BMW owners do not like this "M" mass trend at all. The new M cars never finish higher than the older cars in "M" comparos.

Are they superb still? You bet. However, they really have lost what made them truly special.

Mike, I agree with you. The options on the M5 are amazing - you can even get soft close doors. Why they put things like this on their performance car I do not understand.

YET, at the same time, I know at least one 550 owner who is seriously considering upgrading to a M5 and one of the main reasons is the goodies that it offers coupled with a sweet sounding 500hp engine....Not sure if this would happen if the car was a stripper (and how can you even do that when it is supposed to be above the lower 5-series cars?).

LexFather 07-25-08 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by doug_999 (Post 3707475)
Mike, I agree with you. The options on the M5 are amazing - you can even get soft close doors. Why they put things like this on their performance car I do not understand.

YET, at the same time, I know at least one 550 owner who is seriously considering upgrading to a M5 and one of the main reasons is the goodies that it offers coupled with a sweet sounding 500hp engine....Not sure if this would happen if the car was a stripper (and how can you even do that when it is supposed to be above the lower 5-series cars?).

its a two edged sword (I think u said that today lol). One one hand it helps sales as it attracts more buyers. On the other hand it pisses off the old M owners and purists.

It is clear if you want the older experience, you just buy an older car. Its rare for a new car today to not get bigger/heavier/more complex.

I just wish M cars would keep some of the tech off and weight off to truly continue to set the bar.

GFerg 07-25-08 06:52 PM

Which is one of the reasons why they made the CSL right? However that is even more expensive than a regular M car. Maybe they should offer less features on the base M and make a luxury/technology package for those who want the goodies. :dunno:

LexFather 07-25-08 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by GFerg (Post 3707595)
Which is one of the reasons why they made the CSL right? However that is even more expensive than a regular M car. Maybe they should offer less features on the base M and make a luxury/technology package for those who want the goodies. :dunno:

Well another two edged sword:D In Euro reviews, they liked the CSL though you cannot drive it in the rain (b/c of tires). Then there is less insulation, no radio, no A/C etc.

So then they question why buy it when yes its lighter but you lose all the reasons a M3 is such a good high performance car that can be used daily. They picked the base 911 still.

I find the CSL to look so tits though I'd get it on that alone.:D

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/TRC2004.jpg

doug_999 07-25-08 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by GFerg (Post 3707595)

Porsche gets away with this on their GT2 and GT3 - less but costs more. I think this is because they really perform and have the high performance bits to go with it.

If however you take a regular car and you simply discontent it, then it should NOT cost more.

Faymester 07-26-08 12:02 AM

i always think its funny when its the same product w. fewer benefits but overall it costs more ... who buys that!

SLegacy99 07-26-08 09:54 AM

Thats smart. Just think how fast the RX400h is. Attach a hybrid drive to the 4.8L and that would be pretty sweet.

FSUJBP 07-26-08 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT (Post 3707649)
Well another two edged sword:D In Euro reviews, they liked the CSL though you cannot drive it in the rain (b/c of tires). Then there is less insulation, no radio, no A/C etc.

So then they question why buy it when yes its lighter but you lose all the reasons a M3 is such a good high performance car that can be used daily...

The A/C and radio were options. Most of the 1500 built came with it. The tires are something that's easily changed. ;)

The CSL in your picture happens to be the "Loaded" CSL that ran the ring in something like 7:22.

gengar 07-27-08 11:40 AM

This is even more disgusting than the hybrid LF-A, which was about as disgusting as I thought disgusting would be. Oh well, BMW already sold out big time with the move away from NA, so I guess I should have expected this...

MR_F1 07-27-08 05:55 PM

Time to wrap your mind around new ways to wring performance out of a car.

This is just a gimmick to capitalize on the F1 link tho......... Toyota where the heck is the FT-HS?

DustinV 07-29-08 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by doug_999 (Post 3707475)

Why not?

The customer is king. If these things are in demand, then BMW would be ignorant not to offer it on an M product as the customer may very well go over to the competition (RS, AMG and F) that might offer what he/she wants. :thumbup: