Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08, 03:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
I am still baffled by what appears to be 2 sets of fog lights ...
....I've got dual foglights and they are cool.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is the wisest venture. Why buy an RL when TL has everything that the RL has for a cheaper price?
Old 05-18-08, 03:26 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EDGE2
It's already been confirmed that a 3.5 with the FWD/286hp and an optional 3.7 AWD with about 330hp will be available, the S will come in a year, but Acura always waits a year with the S Type
Yeah, always except with the last Type-S that came a 3 years after.

Pictures don't do many cars justice these days. The overall shape of many cars is similar; the slight curves change their character. I found the TSX initial shots to be fugly... the commercials made it look more appealing... seeing it in person changed my opinion completely.

My biggest issue is the FWD on this car. They're still aiming at the ES, while with Honda's heritage they would be better suited to compete with the G37 and ISX50 more directly. But what do I know...
Old 05-18-08, 03:33 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99

Anyway, I'm not sure this is the wisest venture. Why buy an RL when TL has everything that the RL has for a cheaper price?
At the moment? SH-AWD. I drove the RL with SH-AWD and I think it is that good. The question for me would be what is the price difference between the two cars. I also think the RL interior is first class and much better than the TL, or at least the outgoing TL since we haven't seen this new TL in person yet.

The current RL is a great car lost in a sea with other great cars from the competition. The TL is a great car that stands out in a segment with a lot of mediocre cars and thus really stands out.

Still though, current RL sales will suffer as it is a generation that came out in 2005. I'd like to see who the next generation RL stacks up against the new redesigned TL.
Old 05-18-08, 03:49 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Based on those pics, I may learn to like that grill but there is no way I would ever get over that rear.
Old 05-18-08, 04:06 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Hmm

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
....I've got dual foglights and they are cool.

Your lights are side-by-side, the TL looks to be stacked ... which I think may look a little busy.

Since this generation RL is a lost cause, I am sure that they are not concerned w/ the TL eating its sales. Now when the 2010 model debuts, hopefully they will address this issue.

Last edited by GS69; 05-18-08 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-18-08, 04:13 PM
LexFather

1. I pray the C-pillar does not curve like seemingly every car made today.
2. That giant front overhang looks disgusting.

Old 05-19-08, 07:40 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb TOV Has a Few More Shots

Spied on the Streets Part Deux: 2009 Acura TL
Date: May 19, 2008 10:30
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Brenda Priddy & Company
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

Eagle-eyed Ohioan Sean Wolfe spotted this TL prototype undergoing testing over the weekend. Here you can clearly see that the '09 TL will have a keyless entry/ignition system. We have also heard that it will also have pushbutton start.

Old 05-19-08, 08:19 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Here you can clearly see that the '09 TL will have a keyless entry/ignition system. We have also heard that it will also have pushbutton start. "

About effing time, Acura!!
Old 05-19-08, 09:36 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

So the guy/gal claims it's even larger than the current Accord? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Let's not forget that when the current gen. TL was introduced, *it* received a lot of bashing, also. Eventually, people fell in love with it.
Old 05-19-08, 11:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
Spied on the Streets Part Deux: 2009 Acura TL
Date: May 19, 2008 10:30
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Brenda Priddy & Company
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

Eagle-eyed Ohioan Sean Wolfe spotted this TL prototype undergoing testing over the weekend. Here you can clearly see that the '09 TL will have a keyless entry/ignition system. We have also heard that it will also have pushbutton start.

It is looking pretty good and has a nice aggressive stance from those pictures although the rear looks a little off. It seems to sit pretty low and wide which is nice.
Old 05-19-08, 11:33 AM
LexFather

AS aggresive as a Saturn Aura lol......

That front end seems as tall as the MDX!

Notice the double hump dash ala BMW, for the NAV screen.

Old 05-19-08, 11:59 AM
chums
Lead Lap

looks like the cars a transformer to me imo wrong move on the body style by acura, i always liked the 1st gen tsx and current gen tl body styles, but im not too big a fan on how its turning out for the future
Old 05-19-08, 06:35 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Spycam: 2009 Acura TL

The 2009 Acura TL is still months away from its debut in the fall, but the magic 8ball is already saying "outlook not so good" for the latest Acura to get a redesign based on these recent spyshots.

Looking pretty inoffensive from the front, the 2009 TL bears shape and proportions similar to those of the current Nissan Maxima. Though the camouflage bra hides the front end well, it does reveal the shape of Acura's now-signature "dynamic power plenum" grille and headlight styling that look to be close to the mug found on the 2009 TSX.

Things take a turn for the ugly in the rear, however. Acura decided that the trapezoidal shape of its new grille would work great in the rear as well as it does in the front and superimposed it on the trunk lid and part of the rear fascia. The unconventional trapezoidal shape not only makes for a small trunk opening, it's disproportionate to the relatively small taillights.

The presence of large dual exhausts is a telltale sign that a V-6 lurks under the hood. Rumors leaked out of a recent dealer meeting suggest the present TL's 3.2-liter six will be dropped, with the 3.5-liter in the TL Type-S becoming the base engine in either front or all-wheel-drive configurations, with an available, range-topping 3.7-liter with 300 horsepower and AWD becoming the new Type-S engine option.

We'll know much more leading up to the new TL's auto show debut, which should take place at either this November's Los Angeles auto show or the 2009 Detroit show.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...ied/index.html

Old 05-19-08, 06:41 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

So basically, the rear end is also getting that weird treatment. I can't wait. I love the current generation TL, and seems like this is the only car, and the last car Acura needs to ruin and trash before the whole entire line up become useless.
Old 05-30-08, 01:40 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

I just found this thread... what a let down to go from my beautiful car like this

...to this

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles

So thats it huh?

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL thread (merged threads, painted beak)