Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, Electric Vehicles, Hybrids, & Chevron

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 07:09 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The question I still have is how much does it cost to charge these cars? Most if not all the charging will be done at home in your own garage. Anyone care to guess or know outright how much more your electricity bill will be? The reason why I say all the charging will be done at home is because there is no business or parking garage I know of that will let you plug in and charge your car for free. Anyway, just curious as to what the monthly electricity bill will be if you have to charge your car everyday.
Old 04-29-08, 07:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

You should not call them oil companies they are energy companies, they are smart they know oil wont last forever and they have already invested billions into researching new viable energy sources. But yea oil is their primary product as of today. 30 years from now, who knows.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The question I still have is how much does it cost to charge these cars? Most if not all the charging will be done at home in your own garage. Anyone care to guess or know outright how much more your electricity bill will be? The reason why I say all the charging will be done at home is because there is no business or parking garage I know of that will let you plug in and charge your car for free. Anyway, just curious as to what the monthly electricity bill will be if you have to charge your car everyday.
a hell of a lot cheaper than the monthly gas bill. $50/week will buy you a lot more electricity mileage than gas mileage. Plus its most beneficial to charge the vehicle on off peak hours, the charger has a built in clock where you can tell it when to charge. By charging it on off peak hours (guessing 10pm to early morning hours) you can get a cheaper kWh rate.

This electricity can come from anywhere, coal, gas turbine, solar, wind, nuclear, hydroelectric, etc. Both non renewable and renewable. Gas can only come from oil which is non renewable

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-29-08 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-29-08, 06:59 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

a hell of a lot cheaper than the monthly gas bill. $50/week will buy you a lot more electricity mileage than gas mileage. Plus its most beneficial to charge the vehicle on off peak hours, the charger has a built in clock where you can tell it when to charge. By charging it on off peak hours (guessing 10pm to early morning hours) you can get a cheaper kWh rate.

This electricity can come from anywhere, coal, gas turbine, solar, wind, nuclear, hydroelectric, etc. Both non renewable and renewable. Gas can only come from oil which is non renewable
Do all states have an off peak rate? I don't notice anything like that on my electric bill. Since we use the AC a lot, my typical electric bill is around $120-$150 a month + or -.
Old 04-29-08, 07:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do all states have an off peak rate? I don't notice anything like that on my electric bill. Since we use the AC a lot, my typical electric bill is around $120-$150 a month + or -.
Here in State College they are taking about doing an experiment of installing screens in houses/apartments that tell you the current rate. Therefore at night when demand is down, you could see on the screen that it is cheaper to do a load of laundry.
Old 05-04-08, 07:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that is the case I can see the hold up a bit, but I still have a hard time believe they cant find a way. There are already independent companies that convert ICE cars to full electric for customers that surely get more than 7 miles cruising range. How are they able to get around this patented technology blockade and not the large car manufacturers? They sell an all electric car called the Gem here in Hawaii that is really just a gloried golf cart IMHO, but it gets a few hundred miles cruising range on a charge.

Sadly, they're using Lead-Acid batteries for the conversion. A good start but not as efficient (both power, space and weight) as NiMH.
Old 05-04-08, 07:39 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cheaper than $4 or $5/gal that's for sure! Plus EVs are a lot more efficient than an engine.

Of course it depends which state you're in I suppose. Here in BC, our electricity is hydropowered and is rather inexpensive so an EV would work well here. (We have some around campus actually)
Old 05-07-08, 03:46 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Sadly, they're using Lead-Acid batteries for the conversion. A good start but not as efficient (both power, space and weight) as NiMH.
Please check out http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/ they have Lithium Ion.
Old 05-07-08, 12:11 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles

As you may or may not know, from 1997-2002, Toyota had a full electric-powered vehicle in their lineup, the RAV4 EV....They were powered by NiMH EV-95 batteries produced by GM Ovonics which allowed them to achieve their high range of 120 miles per charge.
the batteries were from Panasonic
Old 05-07-08, 12:31 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
the batteries were from Panasonic
Right, which were bought out by GM Ovonics.