Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 11:03 PM
-FreeRide-
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here

Hey guys...

I'm new to the forum and figured I'd post a little something about myself. I'm 20, going to college, and working a part time job (it varies haha). I'm an avid cyclist (I race road and mountain bikes) and kind of a car nut. I bought my first car in January of '04. It was a brand new '03 GTI that I was able to get a great deal on since it was last years model. Well, I screwed up and thought an auto would be fine for a daily driver. Several years later, and on the second trans (it was replaced under warranty) I realized that I want something different. That is why I am here.

I have been looking at many different cars that I could get my hands on in about the ~$12,000-$15,000 price range. I am basically looking to trade/sell my GTI and to not have to put much more in to get get another car. I've looked at the Subaru WRX, Pontiac GTO (barely makes the budget), older M3s, or even an N/A Supra. The problem is that Supras are going for way more than they should ever since street racing was made "cool" by Hollywood.

I am looking for a car with decent stock performance but also good tuning potential. I like the idea of having a classy car that can be daily driven but tracked on the weekends, all while being reliable. The IS300 and SC300 have both caught my eye. I have found a couple in my price range with the 6 cylinder motor with the manual trans.

Now.... if you were faced with a choice between an IS300 and SC300, which is the better option and why? I am looking for input and suggestions. I will want to modify the car, but I'm not sure over what period of time and to what extent.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of that, and I welcome your suggestions and input. In the mean time, I'll be reading up on here.

-Dan

Last edited by -FreeRide-; 04-08-08 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 11:28 PM
jacobdking
Driver School Candidate

motors are pretty much the same. for 12-15k you could buy a 97 SC300 $7000 (newer model), swap it to a 5 speed $3000 (too hard to find with factory 5spd), and turbo it or do a 2jzgte twin turbo swap for $5000. those are all low end prices, but it just depends on where you look. my 5spd swap for the SC300 only cost me 2200 for parts, labor and a new clutch. I've seen a ton of clean 2JZGTE motor sets for 1800. you could get an older sc like a 95 for around $4000 since you'd be swapping the motor out anyways. anyhow, that my $0.02
Old 04-09-08, 12:00 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey there Dan! Welcome to Club Lexus

With my limited experience of the IS300 and the SC300, I don't feel comfortable reccommending one over the other. Although, if it were me, I'd go with the SC300/400 just because I prefer the exterior styling.

Give this thread some time and I'm sure you'll get more helpful feedback from the good folks here on CL
Old 04-09-08, 12:05 AM
-FreeRide-
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I definitely know where you are coming from on the styling alone. I love the look of the 2 door coupe and that is definitely one of the reasons I like the SC300 (and the 300 because I'd rather have the I6 to work off of instead of the V8). The downside is of course the car's age compared to a newer IS300. (It will be my car and my purchase, but having a 28+ year master mechanic for a Dad can make buying an older car pure hell, even if it is a reliable Toyota/Lexus. Haha)
Old 04-09-08, 12:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

is3, newer car has one major benefit over older car when money is tight (as it is when ur in college, im feeling the squeeze myself ), and that is that there are fewer things that need to be replaced due to wear.

im talkin about stuff like hinges, BUSHINGS, seals, trim, window regulators and the like, stuff that breaks/dies/gets OLD and has to be replaced.
Old 04-09-08, 12:56 AM
jacobdking
Driver School Candidate

i had a 92 sc400 with 287,000 miles on it. only thing that ever had to be replaced where both window regulators and eventually a transmission solenoid ($160.00)
Old 04-09-08, 09:07 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can put bike racks on an IS300 easier.
Old 04-09-08, 09:43 AM
Perfection
Lead Lap

IS300 FTW!
Old 04-09-08, 10:54 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take the SC, Coupes are so much sexier, and the interior of the SC IMO is also wayyyyy nicer than the IS interior, You gotta make sure YOU are comfortable in the car right?

- And since you're looking for an I6 motor, you can also consider a 98-05 GS300, newer than the SC, same years as the IS, and is way roomier, but it might not be as sporty as you'd like stock
Old 04-09-08, 11:02 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like your choices but don't max out your budget for just the car! keep in mind there are other things like gas, insurance, title/registeration fees, and knock on wood but repair fees!

Personally, if manual is a must, I'd look for a 1JZGTE swapped SC. Or an Evo/WRX.
Old 04-09-08, 11:08 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the SC300, but if it were me I would go for the IS300. IS300 is newer technology, and would be a bit more modern than the SC300.

Goodluck!
Old 04-09-08, 11:32 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Hey there Welcome to CL
Old 04-09-08, 11:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I am looking for a car with decent stock performance but also good tuning potential.
Strong case for a WRX.

The IS300 is lacking in power and the fuel economy is weak. Its an attractive car, with a nice interior and nice features, but I personally don't care for RWD and driving an IS without an LSD makes traction difficult. I like to push the pedal and go, which is why I stick to AWD.
Old 04-09-08, 12:02 PM
-FreeRide-
Driver School Candidate

Loving the input, and all very good points. (And thanks to whoever moved the thread, I wasn't sure exactly where it should go.)

A WRX would definitely be the top choice against the SC300 and IS300. A WRX would be great in any weather, and looks fine with a bike rack. (If I put a rack on a Lexus it would be on only when I needed it. I could leave it on the WRX for extended periods of time and not have it look goofy. ) The car will be driven in just about any weather conditions if needed. (My cars get babied and detailed after they see rain or snow so I'm not terribly worried about how that will affect either car.)

The other thing I run into is that there are so many WRXs out there, especially where I am at. (I am living in central Illinois but am often in Chicago/the suburbs.) I like something a little different. I don't mind working on my own car (enjoy it actually) and like the clean, subtle, styling of a tuned Lexus. It has a touch of class that I don't think you can get out of a WRX.

I'm sure it sounds like I am arguing completely for a Lexus, but I really am torn and just trying to cover all of the bases right now. I have been looking through the classifieds here actually, and have noticed a couple 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE swapped SC300s that are actually in my price range. On average, how is the reliability of a swapped car like that that would put down say 300-450 as a broad range.

Why are there not as many swapped IS300s? Is it just because people choose to tune the SC platform more because it is a few years older and thus cheaper, or is there a big mechanical difference (space under the hood??) that I'm missing?

I plan on heading to a few local dealers to try and get at least a test drive in a stock IS300 and hopefully an SC300 to get some sort of an idea.

Thanks again everyone, and keep it coming.
Old 04-09-08, 12:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by -FreeRide-

Why are there not as many swapped IS300s? Is it just because people choose to tune the SC platform more because it is a few years older and thus cheaper, or is there a big mechanical difference (space under the hood??) that I'm missing?
SCs are cheaper than IS nowadays, especially since the 92s can be found for less than $4000. The oldest IS300 is a 2001 and it's priced around $10,000 (give or take).

Looking at the overhang of the cars, the SC sure looks like it has more room. Plus many people prefer coupes over sedans, and they like the styling too.

Quick Reply: New Here