Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R (official Spec-V thread) Autoexpres review vid added

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 03:08 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

Forgive my ignorance , but what does JDM stand for?
JDM= Japanese Domestic Market. Meaning a car that is for the the local Japanese Market. The Lexus LS460 that we get in the US would be called USDM, for United States Domestic Market. These terms are often done because options and trim levels of cars designated for each market may be different, or we may not get a certain car all together.
Old 04-10-08, 03:10 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ Im not sure if he was serious with that or not, but a good example would be the S14 you said to have built. Your JDM S14 had an SR20DET, while USDM S14s got KA24DEs.
Old 04-10-08, 03:17 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove it as hard as could which was not very hard, the raods here in the country side are not very good at all and it was shaking and bouncing about when going 50km/h. It was very , very fast and was very impressed in that department, but it just was not what I liked(interior ect)
where in japan are you at? I use to work in tokyo the only time i get to open up the car is at night...

Forgive my ignorance , but what does JDM stand for?
Japan Domestic Market Last time i was in tokyo i didn;t get a chance to see the japanese version of the LS600hl would love to see yours
Old 04-10-08, 03:21 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

oh wow you got a Lexus LS430 in Japan too?? Same here I ship mine USDM LS430 ultra from LA to Japan back in 02 to drive!!! must be special to drive a real Left hand drive Lexus in japan huh
Old 04-10-08, 04:26 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by splitfire
oh wow you got a Lexus LS430 in Japan too?? Same here I ship mine USDM LS430 ultra from LA to Japan back in 02 to drive!!! must be special to drive a real Left hand drive Lexus in japan huh
You have too much money. Donate some to poor college kids like me.

On topic:
The GT-R is an astounding performance car. You can't say pure numbers can match a GT-R by tuning a lesser sports car (240, EVO, STI, etc.) 0-60 numbers mean squat. Horsepower/torque figures don't mean anything if it can't be related to at least a 1/4 mile time. There are plenty of 1000+hp Supras that aren't as fast as 750hp ones. The GT-R also is not an exotic. Exotic's command exotic prices and from a luxury/exotic nameplate. This doesn't take away from the greatness of the GT-R. It's easily a daily driver and still spanks a ton of more expensive cars.
Old 04-10-08, 06:16 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
JDM= Japanese Domestic Market. Meaning a car that is for the the local Japanese Market. The Lexus LS460 that we get in the US would be called USDM, for United States Domestic Market. These terms are often done because options and trim levels of cars designated for each market may be different, or we may not get a certain car all together.
Oh... I understand now (living too long in Japan, and I loss a lot of English terms) I will get some pics for you. But you will have to wait until the weekend b/c 14 hour days don't allow photography in daylight hours.
Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^^ Im not sure if he was serious with that or not, but a good example would be the S14 you said to have built. Your JDM S14 had an SR20DET, while USDM S14s got KA24DEs.
It certainly was, that was a fast car I can tell you that.

where in japan are you at? I use to work in tokyo the only time i get to open up the car is at night...

Japan Domestic Market Last time i was in tokyo i didn;t get a chance to see the japanese version of the LS600hl would love to see yours
I live in Osaka. And I will get some pics , I guess the interior will be completely different.
Sorry , I own the Celsior version , I just wrote LS 430 b/c I didn't think anyone would know what a celsior was. I do have a friend that imported one from the states though and it is left hand drive. Actually most mercs are left hand drive.
Old 04-10-08, 07:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by leedogg
a) I said the GTR is likely to cause acura and lexus to take their super cars back to the drawing board.

b) you said I cant put the LFA in the same boat as the NSX, implying what? that the LFA wont be going back to the drawing board but the NSX will? This in turn implies that the LFA doesnt need to go back to the drawing board because the GTR wont compete with it.

or perhaps you didnt mean to imply any of the above and it was just your typical honda hatred lashing out.
That is not what I meant or implied, you TWISTED my words, thus baiting. Why are you still posting, I thought I told you go to Pep Boys and add some more stickers to your car

Everyone knows I love the NSX, hell I post on NSX Prime. Everyone knows the new NSX is a joke, including NSXPRIME and I feel the same way. If you understood simple logic, you would understand the LF-A and NSX currently cannot be compared as Lexus has running models and continues to show the car and allegedly lapped the Ring in 7:24. In comparison, there are no running NSX models and THEY CANNOT even figure out what design to start with. That was the jest of the latter part of my initial post.

Then, I said the LF-A can't be compared to the GT-R as the GT-R is currently sold and Lexus is taking its sweet time selling the LF-A. I am not going to seriously compared a production car with one not sold!!!!

After you go buy your stickers, please go to APC and choice from the vast assortment of Altezzas for your ride and read before you post.

Old 04-10-08, 07:50 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is not what I meant or implied, you TWISTED my words, thus baiting. Why are you still posting, I thought I told you go to Pep Boys and add some more stickers to your car

Everyone knows I love the NSX, hell I post on NSX Prime. Everyone knows the new NSX is a joke, including NSXPRIME and I feel the same way. If you understood simple logic, you would understand the LF-A and NSX currently cannot be compared as Lexus has running models and continues to show the car and allegedly lapped the Ring in 7:24. In comparison, there are no running NSX models and THEY CANNOT even figure out what design to start with. That was the jest of the latter part of my initial post.

Then, I said the LF-A can't be compared to the GT-R as the GT-R is currently sold and Lexus is taking its sweet time selling the LF-A. I am not going to seriously compared a production car with one not sold!!!!

After you go buy your stickers, please go to APC and choice from the vast assortment of Altezzas for your ride and read before you post.
Perhaps if you hadnt misinterpreted my post in the first place and posted an irrelevant comment, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

I was not comparing the NSX and the LFA, I merely stated that as a result of the GTR, and now the spec V, both Acura and Lexus would likely be going back to the drawing boards to tweak things further. i.e. they shared the same situation of being threatened by the GTR. I mention nothing about production readiness at all.
Old 04-10-08, 08:00 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I agree with you mostly. I would agree with the others that the new GTR is probably going to be a super car eater in regards to performance numbers. It is clear that this car will perform and put a lot of cars that cost 5X more in its place performance wise. I would agree with you; however, that the GTR is NOT in the same class of car as those other super/exotic cars. It is clearly IMHO in Porsche 911/Cayman class only it will out perform them all for cheaper. I say the same thing about the LF-A though. No matter how well the LF-A performs when it comes out, I wouldn't put it in the same class as an Enzo. Performance wise it may best the Enzo, but it ain't no Enzo class. At best I'd agree that the LF-A would be in the Ferrari F430 range, but if I had $200K to drop for an exotic car, the LF-A probably wouldn't be it since for me I'm buying the mid engine exotic.

I couldn't say this better myself
Old 04-10-08, 08:52 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Dave600hL;3434790
I live in Osaka. [/QUOTE]

Mmmmm, Osaaaka. Home of kuidaore. Eat till you drop. That's a custom I could get used to.
Old 04-10-08, 09:00 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Don't forget his jdm IS300 also
Old 04-10-08, 10:15 AM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Tuner car to beat a GTR silly for around 70K?

94 RX7 w/ LS2/3/6 swap, pettit fenders, kaaz, and one-off cantilever 2 way moton c/o's with some conventional stoptechs for budget concerns, and some 305's front 335's rear.

still waiting to see clear pictures of the tires, not in the shade so i can actually make out the tread (or treadless) design.
Old 04-15-08, 12:17 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New GTR V spec rumour to have 693bhp

This is nuts!. Are they thinking about Veyron?

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=51387&vf=2
Old 04-15-08, 04:26 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

That is quite insane.
Old 04-15-08, 10:42 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I expected a bump in HP to the tune of about 500, maybe 550, but nearly 700!!!!

Introducing, the new undisputed champion of the worlllllldddddd!! GT-R Vvvvvvvv-SPeeeeeeccccccc!!!

Quick Reply: GT-R (official Spec-V thread) Autoexpres review vid added