Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review (Finally)....BMW 128i Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 10:41 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do you find the time? great review....
Old 03-23-08, 03:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by vboy418
where do you find the time? great review....
Thanks.

Where do I find the time? Usually one of two places....the watch on my wrist, or the clock next to my computer.

Seriously, I'm retired now (one of the lucky and thrifty Federal people who got to get out with a pension and savings at age 55)...but I've been doing reviews, off and on, for quite a while (and been actually checking out new cars for some 50 years, since I was in high school). I just have more time for it now.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-08 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-23-08, 03:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I like the styling of the new BMWs, but we haven't been all that impressed with my dad's 330xi. Sure its a fun car to drive, but its major downfall is that you cannot shift it smoothly and that the tires wore out at 17,000 miles.
A lot of BMW's have either high-peformance and/or run-flat tires. Both are known for premature wear. 15,000-25,000 miles is the usual range, depending on how aggressive you drive and how well you keep the alignment and tire pressures up.

Don't know about the 330, but the 335's transmission is fine as far as shift quality goes. Is your dad's car a manual or an SMT (Sequential Manual transmission)?.....though I don't remember many 330 SMG's being built. The SMT was known for bumpy shifts....it was a major source of owner complaints.

I was playing soccer in my front yard and I could hear my dad comin up the road from more than a block away. The interior handles were also chipping, which BMW fixed. My dad commented to me that he really has been much happier with Lexus given vehicle quality, pricing and haggling, and that they come to your house and pick it up for service.
True........German cars these days are not lexicons of reliability, but that is countered to some extent by the fact that BMW giver free factory-recommended service for four years, even covering wear items like brake pads and rotors. But, even so, you are correct that the average Lexus is more reliable then the average BMW.

I like the 1 series, but I just can't respect it given that its 200 lbs heavier than my midsize AWD vehicle. I know that its got a bigger engine and more feature that equal weight, but I feel like at the very least BMW should have started with a base 2.5L if they didn't feel that they could offer the 4 cylinder. A car like this shouldn't be getting the same crappy gas mileage of a 3 series. And why not offer the turbo 3.0L as an M1?
The turbo 3.0 is offered, but as the 135i.....your point about it maybe being an M1 is well-taken, but to get the M badge would probably require a different suspension and interior than the 135 presently has. BMW may be waiting to see how general 135 sales go.

Part of that extra 200 lbs. you speak of in the 1-series is probably the quality-gauge sheet metal. Shut the doors, trunk, and (especially) the hood, and you will see that this car does not use tinny junk on the outside like some small cars do. Nor, in general, does it use junk on the inside, although the steering-column stalks are cheap and flimsy.

As far as the mileage question is concerned, let's wait and see if BMW keeps the rumor that diesels are coming. That will push the average fuel mileage way up.....maybe 40-50%. I'd also like to see them put in a detuned version of the 3.0 that would burn regular instead of premium. That would also lower fuel costs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-08 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-23-08, 07:55 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't know about the 330, but the 335's transmission is fine as far as shift quality goes. Is your dad's car a manual or an SMT (Sequential Manual transmission)?.....though I don't remember many 330 SMG's being built. The SMT was known for bumpy shifts....it was a major source of owner complaints.
Its a 6MT. My buddy is a BMW guru of sorts and he claims that its the X drive that is the cause of choppy shifts. I suppose I can believe that given the automatic one we test with AWD where the engine revved way up, but little power got to the wheels.
Old 03-23-08, 08:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1 series is a pretty cool car but there's just not enough price difference or weight reduction to compel me to consider it from a 3-series. Not to mention hard top convertibles are awesome... soft tops, not so much IMO... so I'd gladly pay the extra for the 3-series hard top.

I definitely agree with the theme of a lot of your gripes... BMW is just too expensive. The 3.0 tt I6 is a great powertrain for the money over the regular naturally aspirated 3.0...
And the 1 series and 3 series start at a great price for what they are.

I'd go so far as to say a 1 or 3 series with no options is a very reasonably priced car. Heck... a downright bargain if performance for the dollar is your main priority.

But nearly every option on their sheet is a slap to the face... some just mildly overpriced and some downright crazy that they'd even consider charging for such a thing rather than just including it as standard.

The only thing that made my 335i w/ a 47.x thousand sticker a relative 'good deal' in my opinion is the awesome lease rates BMW offers and the hard bargaining I did to accompany them.

That aside, I'd never even consider BUYING my 335i at that price. For that kind of money put me in a Vette, or Infiniti M. One more sport and one more luxury but both come in under that price with far more value for the dollar when buying. Leasing is another story, though.
Old 03-23-08, 10:01 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove a 1-series a couple of years ago when it came out and I thought it a pretty poor little car, cheaply made and dull inside. It looked awkward from most angles (the convertible and coupe look slightly better) and the rear seat room was a joke - suitable for kids only. I can't see any advantage in producing a saloon version to go alongside the hatchback as rear room would not improve. The only selling point for me is the diesel engines with the Efficient Dynamics Stop-Start system. These produce low CO2 and easily return between 50 and 60mpg - better than a Prius in the real world. Once you remove them and stick a 240hp 3.0 litre petrol engine in I can't see the point in buying one - go for the 3-series, it's better in every respect. Handling, though not ride, is good, but if I wanted fun and chuckability I'd have a MINI every time.
Old 03-23-08, 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I test drove a 1-series a couple of years ago when it came out and I thought it a pretty poor little car, cheaply made and dull inside.
My comments, of course, apply to the American-market version. Can't comment on the European version because I haven't seen it. Butit is no secret that several European automakers offer cheaper, decontented versions in Europe that they don't sell here. Mercedes, for instance, sells models in Germany that have plain vinyl seats/interior and are taxicab-stark inside...those same models here, of course, have leather interiors with wood or metallic trim. Perhaps it is the same with BMW. (?)
Old 03-23-08, 02:03 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the simplicity of the 1-Series, in terms of both the philosophy (compact/somewhat practical, RWD, I6, 6-speed manual) and the design (that interior looks soooo clean and functional). The exterior design has grown on me as well in certain colors.

If I ordered one, I'd just get a base coupe with no options. That's the only way this car makes sense to me. Clearly, someone who would actually pay $41K for a 1-Series is ignorant.

mmarshall, what's this about the diesel version becoming available in the US? Any more info? I hope it would be the I4 diesel, to keep the price reasonable, not the I6 diesel that's going to be in the other US-market BMWs. A diesel 1-Series would just about do it for me. As a personal daily driver, couldn't really ask for something more than that.
Old 03-23-08, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
If I ordered one, I'd just get a base coupe with no options. That's the only way this car makes sense to me.
That's fine in light-traffic areas with relatively open roads, but you sure don't want a clutch in today's urban environment. In most cases, get the Steptronic.

mmarshall, what's this about the diesel version becoming available in the US? Any more info? I hope it would be the I4 diesel, to keep the price reasonable, not the I6 diesel that's going to be in the other US-market BMWs. A diesel 1-Series would just about do it for me. As a personal daily driver, couldn't really ask for something more than that.
I haven't seen anything to indicate that it will be anything but the diesel 3.0, but BMW forums and chat may be more up on that than I am.

And if they DO dieselize the 3.0 gas-engine block, let's hope they do it right. GM tried to convert a gas engine (the 5.7L V8) to diesel back in the early 80's. The result was a disaster.
Old 03-23-08, 03:18 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's fine in light-traffic areas with relatively open roads, but you sure don't want a clutch in today's urban environment. In most cases, get the Steptronic.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that it will be anything but the diesel 3.0, but BMW forums and chat may be more up on that than I am.

And if they DO dieselize the 3.0 gas-engine block, let's hope they do it right. GM tried to convert a gas engine (the 5.7L V8) to diesel back in the early 80's. The result was a disaster.
My present car is a manual, and I used to drive in heavy traffic when I was still in college commuting to campus. Driving stick in heavy traffic or stop/go environments doesn't bother me.

And BMW does have a 2.0L I4 diesel they could use, it's in the 1-Series in Europe (120d?). I don't think it would be a good idea for them to put the 3.0L I6 diesel in the 1-Series. Talk about overkill.
Old 03-23-08, 03:34 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Another great review, thanks! I'm not sure I could ever take a 1 over a 3, though...

I also am going to try to find a picture of the trunk space, esp. with top down....
Old 03-23-08, 04:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

$41K+ and you don't even get navigation?

Sad when you can get a loaded Civic or Corolla with Nav (and leather) for under $22K. How much is BMW charging for the nav option, $10K?
Old 03-24-08, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Another great review, thanks! I'm not sure I could ever take a 1 over a 3, though...

I also am going to try to find a picture of the trunk space, esp. with top down....
Thanks.

The 1-series, I agree, is somewhat overpriced, but it does offer better manuverability than a 3, and can fit into somewhat smaller parking spaces.

I would consider one myself if they do a 128ix AWD version. I really like the driving feel...but I'm leery of BMW electronics. The very car I tested may have had a power-window defect with the power-top mechanism (see the review). And, in general, few manufacturers do an AWD system as good as Subaru's.
Old 03-24-08, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
$41K+ and you don't even get navigation?

Sad when you can get a loaded Civic or Corolla with Nav (and leather) for under $22K. How much is BMW charging for the nav option, $10K?

Welcome to the $$$$ world of BMW prices. I mentioned above how BMW's devoted market of followers and enthusiasts affects their pricing....also the fact that the 1-series is built in Europe with high-priced labor.

For details on how to build and price a 1-series any particular way, I included the car's web site (as always) with the review. BMW lists the NAV option at $2100.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-08 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next Review coming up: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

Quick Reply: Review (Finally)....BMW 128i Convertible