Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers File Suit Against Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 06:29 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
JM Lexus is listed as owned by the same company that operates SET.
Yes, I already said that in my last post. Quote: "Some might say that JM Lexus is owned by SET because JM Lexus and SET are both owned by the late Jim Moran (JM Family Enterprises.)"

However, it is important to note that JM Lexus is not an SET distributor owned dealer. Lexus dealers don't fall under the ranks of SET and this included JM Lexus. Obviously, JM Lexus is owned by the same owner as SET but from a business standpoint, JM Lexus is not affiliated with SET in any way.
Old 03-19-08, 02:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

ehm,

only "problem" here is that Toyota distributor for that region, also has their own dealership, which dealers definetly would not like, because distributor then competes with them directly.

There is always an "middle man" - distributor, between dealer and Toyota. There is no single dealer in the world that buys Toyotas directly from Toyota Japan or any other factories.

At the same time, Toyota does this in Europe as well, but through 100% Toyota owned distributors. It is actually done to improve Toyota sales in key markets, as Toyota can invest more money than dealer can.

Considering how many dealers Toyota has (among least in business), this should not be an large issue. Toyota has (at least in Europe) a lot stricter rules for their own dealerships, that dont let them to drop the price as much as independent dealers can do.
Old 03-19-08, 02:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

p.s. year after year, Toyota dealers are rated as most satisfied in the country.
Old 03-20-08, 02:46 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf

There is always an "middle man" - distributor, between dealer and Toyota. There is no single dealer in the world that buys Toyotas directly from Toyota Japan or any other factories.

How would the distributer that also has a dealership play into this? Doesn't that mean that particular dealership buys directly from Toyota or Lexus Japan since their part of the distributer company?
Old 03-20-08, 04:08 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
ehm,

only "problem" here is that Toyota distributor for that region, also has their own dealership, which dealers definetly would not like, because distributor then competes with them directly.
I don't know about Gulf States Toyota, but SET does not own one single dealership.Toyota dealers in the Southern region compete only with other Toyota dealers, as it should be. Which, again, is why I don't understand the reason for the lawsuit. Perhaps Gulf States Toyota dealers are ticked off but SET dealers are fine with the arrangement. BTW, I'm very familiar with SET because I worked for JM Family Enterprises for many years but, admittedly, I know nothing about Gulf States Toyota.
Old 03-20-08, 05:09 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I don't know about Gulf States Toyota, but SET does not own one single dealership.
Apparently they sure do.

Southeast Toyota
Punta Gorda Toyota Dealer
http://www.autotropolis.com/car.deal...ast.Toyota.htm

It appears they also control all parts, distribution, options on all vehicles etc. and as well seem to have a finance arm as well for it's 140(?) plus "independent" dealers who as claimed sell at least 20 percent of all toyotas. http://www.southeasttoyotafinance.com/zipCode.aspx

The dealers seem as "Independent" as a McDonald's franchisee
Old 03-20-08, 06:29 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Apparently they sure do.

Southeast Toyota
Punta Gorda Toyota Dealer
http://www.autotropolis.com/car.deal...ast.Toyota.htm

It appears they also control all parts, distribution, options on all vehicles etc. and as well seem to have a finance arm as well for it's 140(?) plus "independent" dealers who as claimed sell at least 20 percent of all toyotas. http://www.southeasttoyotafinance.com/zipCode.aspx

The dealers seem as "Independent" as a McDonald's franchisee
Yea, I can see how that site can be mis-leading. Again, SET does NOT own one single dealership. This dealership on this link that claims to be "Southeast Toyota" is Actually Palm Toyota. It originated as Palm Auto Mall back in 1955. It now consists of 10 different franchises.

http://www.palmtoyota.com/About-Us.aspx