Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lewis Hamilton and racist Spanish fans...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 03:57 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The Jackie Robinson, Venus & Serena, of Soccer.. Nascar is next.
Yes and no, Dash. The BIG difference being that baseball is nowhere near as globally popular or politically charged as soccer. Neither is tennis. Sure the games are international but they don't evoke the nationalistic pride that soccer does. In many countries soccer is the end-all and be-all when it comes to their sports whereas baseball remains a U.S.-centric sport. Yes there are great players in Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean but to make it BIG and be recognized as the world's best (misnombre if you ask me) you have to make it in the BIG leagues of MLB.
Soccer is a different animal all together. To be recognized as the best you have to shine in a truly global competition (the World Cup), star for your country's national team, and represent your club (generally in a foreign country) at the highest level of competition like the Champions League which encompasses all of Europe's top teams. Even the best players from South America measure themselves by their ability to make it in Europe's top leagues. Beyond that, to ensure that homegrown players are developed appropriately some European leagues set caps on the number of foreign players that can be on a team. However, the given here is that there's such an influx of foreign talent in high-level soccer that it is literally beyond SHAMEFUL when racism shows it's ugliness like this.
Many of the world's top players are black or brown and the nature of the game lends itself to the best example of mixing cultures together for a common goal (pun intended...ha ha.)
Again, it's one of the rare truly global sports. Sadly, a small element of the closed-minded, ultra nationalistic/political, and racist fan base tarnishes the game.
Old 02-06-08, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The Jackie Robinson, Venus & Serena, of Soccer.. Nascar is next.
NASCAR already has had black drivers...who fit in pretty well. Though many of the NASCAR tracks are in the South, this is not the South of the 1950s and 60s.

In fact, the NASCAR driver I dislike the most is not black, but white......Tony Stewart.
Old 02-06-08, 06:13 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

lol now you gotta admit those guys do look hilarious. i dont mean because they are making fun of the guy. i just mean if i saw those guys at any game or walkin down the street i would crack up.
Old 04-23-08, 01:08 PM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

I studied abroad in Barcelona exactly one year ago, not a very racsit city but you see few blacks and you get some weird looks from some ppl, Especially elders.

I also attended a testing day at montmello circuit (pre season ) and it was great.