Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lewis Hamilton and racist Spanish fans...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 09:06 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down Lewis Hamilton and racist Spanish fans...

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...d=6&id=3228442

MADRID, Spain -- British Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton suffered racist abuse from Spanish fans during testing at the Montmelo circuit in Barcelona, Spanish media reported on Sunday.

During Formula One testing in Spain on Saturday, fans at the track in Spain reportedly showered Lewis Hamilton with racial epithets.
Reports in a number of papers said the McLaren driver was booed and insulted whenever he made his way from the team motorhome and into the pits on Saturday.

The correspondent from sports daily Marca said that racially charged comments aimed at the black driver were clearly heard and he said that large sections of the crowd were involved.

"It is not right the way he is being treated," McLaren test team manager Indy Lall was quoted as saying.

Marca said that the circuit director asked for fences to be put up around the McLaren paddock and ordered the removal of banners that had been put up opposite the team's base.

Daily La Vanguardia also said the circuit director had reminded fans of their obligations at the venue.

"We would like to make a plea to the fans to behave correctly, no type of offensive behavior can be tolerated," circuit director Ramon Pradera was quoted as saying in the newspaper.

Hamilton, who finished runner-up in last year's championship, has become a hated figure in Spain because of his rivalry with former McLaren teammate Fernando Alonso, who now drives for Renault.

Incidents of racism have plagued Spanish sports, in particular soccer, in recent years.

Old 02-05-08, 01:47 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goes to show the Spaniards haven't changed in over 600 years.
Old 02-05-08, 01:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I would be banned if I were to say the things that's on my mind
Old 02-05-08, 02:20 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Is shameful behavior by a Country that has such a huge cultural diversification.
I am appalled by Spain, the home of my ancestors.
Old 02-05-08, 03:59 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly this isn't the first time racism has come up at a Spanish sporting event. Black English players are regularly taunted and abused when playing in Spain and even the coach of the Spanish national football team got away with referring to Frenchman Thierry Henry as " a black ******" - with minimum sanction from his national board.
Old 02-05-08, 04:54 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
Odd place for that statement...That type of statement is what outrage in this article is about...
Old 02-05-08, 04:56 AM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

I like their shirts "famiLLy"... great spelling and very clever (being sarcastic)
I heard european football (soccer) gets really crazy, like fights and arguing left and right.

-J
Old 02-05-08, 04:57 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Come to the city of Brotherly love if you want racism...has anyone ever gone to an Eagles game ?
Old 02-05-08, 08:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I see this in Mexico, too, and it is much worse than in the United States. For all the comments I hear about Americans are racist toward Mexicans that I hear down here from some ignorant, but not all, people, I am amazed how many times I am called whitey in Spanish or women are demeaned according to parts of their body, even in what I would otherwise consider professional organizations.

I walked into a store last week with my new neighbor, he is from India, and is darker in skin tone than I am. My neighbor asked for something and the person at the counter asked in back, "oye, un seņor negro quiere pedir algo" or "hey some black guy is asking for something".

It wouldn't have mattered if he were African, African American or other, the correct thing would have been to say, "there is someone here asking for something".

Unfortunately, racism, whether it is intentional or just plain ignorance, will continue on this planet.
Old 02-05-08, 09:08 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
Neither have the Brits.

I'm not excusing their actions, but this is a small percentage of Spanish fans.

The tension between the Brits and the Spaniards goes back hundreds of years.

The media in both countries is insane. Neither is more guilty or innocent than the other.
Old 02-05-08, 10:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

There are losers everywhere.
Old 02-05-08, 10:13 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OHH ME ME, I'M A RACIST TOO, i like drag/drift/autoX racing. VROOM VROOM
Old 02-05-08, 10:24 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Folks from Spain are REALLY racist.
This is not something new.
They may US racists seem tame over there.
Not all but many!
This from my Cousin that goes to school in Spain for his Law degree.
Old 02-05-08, 10:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
OHH ME ME, I'M A RACIST TOO, i like drag/drift/autoX racing. VROOM VROOM
Old 02-05-08, 11:43 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Sadly this isn't the first time racism has come up at a Spanish sporting event. Black English players are regularly taunted and abused when playing in Spain and even the coach of the Spanish national football team got away with referring to Frenchman Thierry Henry as " a black ******" - with minimum sanction from his national board.
I was going to point out the same Andy. It was actually pretty prevalent in Spanish soccer a couple seasons ago to where Samuel Eto'o (from Cameroon, now a Spanish citizen, and star at Barcelona) threatened to leave the pitch after being attacked with racist chants and monkey gestures during a game.
HBO's Real Sports did a segment on racism in European soccer a while back and highlighted some bad examples from Spain. Thierry Henry's (former Arsenal now Barca star as well) "Stand Up, Speak Up" campaign to end racism in soccer was highlighted as well.

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I see this in Mexico, too, and it is much worse than in the United States. For all the comments I hear about Americans are racist toward Mexicans that I hear down here from some ignorant, but not all, people, I am amazed how many times I am called whitey in Spanish or women are demeaned according to parts of their body, even in what I would otherwise consider professional organizations.

I walked into a store last week with my new neighbor, he is from India, and is darker in skin tone than I am. My neighbor asked for something and the person at the counter asked in back, "oye, un seņor negro quiere pedir algo" or "hey some black guy is asking for something".

It wouldn't have mattered if he were African, African American or other, the correct thing would have been to say, "there is someone here asking for something".

Unfortunately, racism, whether it is intentional or just plain ignorance, will continue on this planet.
The worst (sporting) example from Mexico would be the large number of fans booing the U.S.'s national anthem and shouting "Osama" while it was being played during a Mexico vs. USA home game. It's obviously an intense rivalry but that took it to new lows. Donovan p'ing on their grounds didn't help matters much either.