Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Unveils CLC Coupe (Video Clip added)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 05:00 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Mercedes Unveils CLC Coupe (Video Clip added)

Berlin Fashion Week has been the backdrop for the introduction of the 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLC. Known in its last incarnation as the C-Class Sport Coupe, the compact two-door liftback has been totally restyled with an edgy new look that takes cues from the third-generation C-Class sedan and wagon.

The CLC didn't originally figure in Mercedes-Benz's model lineup (the C-Class Sport Coupe was never the success that Mercedes had hoped for), but it has been hurriedly developed to counter the unanticipated success of the BMW 1 Series, which itself started slowly, yet now has firmly established itself throughout Europe.

The growing enthusiasm for smaller cars in the U.S. plus the presence in America of the Audi A3, Mini Cooper S and Volvo C30, and the forthcoming arrival of the BMW 1 Series also imply that the general market for premium small cars in the U.S. might be growing.

In fact, rumors suggest Mercedes-Benz might even be readying a convertible version of the 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLC to go up against the new 2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible.

Hatchback No More
The 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLC has a bit more premium spin than the former C-Class Sport Coupe, so it slots into the present C-Class lineup just beneath the CLK.

As you'd expect, the CLC adopts the aggressive front end of the new-generation C-Class with its dual trapezoidal headlights and does away with the classic, round quad headlights. The CLC also features a prominent twin-slat grille, a look that gives it a clear family resemblance to the upmarket SLK roadster. At the same time, the tuning of the four-link independent front suspension and the multilink independent rear suspension has been thoroughly revised with stiffer spring rates and firmer dampers across the lineup. The Stuttgart engineers privately tell us that it all adds up to "sharper and more direct" responses.

If this is not enough, you'll also be able to specify the CLC with an optional sport package that lowers the ride height fractionally, and no doubt there will be an AMG model of the CLC on the way.

No information has been released as yet about pricing, but it appears that the 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLC is going to get serious about the market for premium-class small cars.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..2.*#7

Looks good, but for some reason, Merc decided to keep the old C class interior

Last edited by RXSF; 01-26-08 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-26-08, 05:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess thats a replacement for the "C" hatch?
Old 01-26-08, 05:23 PM
RXSF

well a replacement would imply that the current one is still selling. it was discontinued like 4 years ago. the reason why they are bringing it back according to the article is because of the new 1 series.
Old 01-26-08, 05:25 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get why the interior is the exact same as the last gen
Front end looks ok...back end looks like a mixture of aztek and randevous
Old 01-26-08, 05:29 PM
RXSF

i dont mind the exterior, however the side profile is taken directly from the previous gen. and of course the interior sucks too. lol

why couldn they have just put the new interior in. lol. unless the side dimensions are the same as the last gen and it doesnt fit. lol. or to keep cost down.
Old 01-26-08, 05:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Just as expected.

What a waste.
Old 01-26-08, 05:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

guess the CLC can join the 1 series in the haterade pool
Old 01-26-08, 05:38 PM
Koma

This however on the outside doesn't look pathetically cheap. But from the sound of it it is priced higher than the C-class which sounds like it'll be just as expensive as the 1 series....
It looks really nice on the exterior but the interior is laughable for what you're paying for. I think even the 1 series interior beats this.
Lexus if you plan to follow suit, price it accordingly and badge it Toyota or Scion. Lexus has no room for this silly class of cars, especially at such a price.
Old 01-26-08, 05:51 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks terrible, after the failure of the last gen, why couldn't they just make a traditional C coupe like the 3-Series coupe?
Old 01-26-08, 06:01 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seems more like a big minor change than a new model...
Old 01-26-08, 06:08 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by thetopdog
This looks terrible, after the failure of the last gen, why couldn't they just make a traditional C coupe like the 3-Series coupe?
CLK is the MB 3 series coupe, although I do believe it sort of lies between a 3 and 6 series in terms of pricing and size.
As they stated this is targeted at the 1 series.
Old 01-26-08, 06:15 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
CLK is the MB 3 series coupe, although I do believe it sort of lies between a 3 and 6 series in terms of pricing and size.
As they stated this is targeted at the 1 series.
Yeah, but even the 1 Series is not an ugly hatchback like this (although I know they offer a hatch in Europe). The CLK costs too much for a hairdresser's car
Old 01-26-08, 06:23 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Yeah, but even the 1 Series is not an ugly hatchback like this (although I know they offer a hatch in Europe). The CLK costs too much for a hairdresser's car
I'm quite fond of hatches .
That's why I like the exterior of this CLC and the previous C hatch and the 1 series 3 door hatch.
Old 01-26-08, 06:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I hate how the back end looks. Front looks good though.
Old 01-26-08, 07:43 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
This however on the outside doesn't look pathetically cheap. But from the sound of it it is priced higher than the C-class which sounds like it'll be just as expensive as the 1 series....
It looks really nice on the exterior but the interior is laughable for what you're paying for. I think even the 1 series interior beats this.
Lexus if you plan to follow suit, price it accordingly and badge it Toyota or Scion. Lexus has no room for this silly class of cars, especially at such a price.
I think there already car that competes in this category, its called the TC

Quick Reply: Mercedes Unveils CLC Coupe (Video Clip added)