Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
NEW Acura TL
74.55%
2005 Mercedes Benz E 320
25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

which car to get : TL or E320

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 09:42 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which car to get : TL or E320

my cousin is looking to get a car for the price range of $35k, and maybe a little more...
he's now a sophomore at texas. (19 years old)

so, he's asking me, he has narrowed down the choices to 2 cars ...
a new Acura TL (navi, full options) or a used 2005 MB E320 ...both would run about $35k.

For me personally, I am leaning towards the E320, because its already taken a depreciation, and the safety as well as prestige of the car is better.

I could ask this question at acura forum or MB forums, and probably know whats the answers are ...but any opinions from the unbiased members of clublexus?

I'll probably ask him to read this thread later on.

Ideas?
Old 01-10-08, 09:53 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

We all have our biases. For one, I don't think a 19 year-old needs to be driving a $35K car. But that aside...

There is no way I would look twice at a used E320 if the other choice is a new TL. Yes, it taken a hit in depreciation and has "prestige", if you can consider a European taxicab to be prestigious. But there are no other advantages to the Benz, while the Acura offers plenty.

I think you'll find that safety-wise the TL is at least a match for the E. But then when you get to things like build quality, fit-and-finish, reliability, feature set, ergonomics, and styling the TL is head and shoulders above the E. In addition, the TL is sportier, more fuel-efficient, and "cooler" to a younger demographic. And you simply can't put a price tag on that new car aura that is well worn-off with any 3 year-old car.

TL all the way.
Old 01-10-08, 10:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
We all have our biases. For one, I don't think a 19 year-old needs to be driving a $35K car. But that aside...

There is no way I would look twice at a used E320 if the other choice is a new TL. Yes, it taken a hit in depreciation and has "prestige", if you can consider a European taxicab to be prestigious. But there are no other advantages to the Benz, while the Acura offers plenty.

I think you'll find that safety-wise the TL is at least a match for the E. But then when you get to things like build quality, fit-and-finish, reliability, feature set, ergonomics, and styling the TL is head and shoulders above the E. In addition, the TL is sportier, more fuel-efficient, and "cooler" to a younger demographic. And you simply can't put a price tag on that new car aura that is well worn-off with any 3 year-old car.

TL all the way.
I agree, TL all the way. Faster, better reliability, just as big/spacious, Acura fits his "age" more, FWD is safer for a younger guy, good decision.

The E offers prestige, especially if the guy is 19, he will need to fight them off with a stick. Its safe, well built interior, RWD is great but I think too much for a younger person.

I'll add a poll!

Old 01-10-08, 10:05 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

I have a TL and have driven a couple E series cars - i'm VERY glad I got the TL. I joined this site b/c I was looking hard at an IS300, but for me the TL was a far better choice (more power, better mileage, just as cool looking, better insurance)

You can get 30+ mpg in the TL, not in the E series AFAIK.

Old 01-10-08, 10:27 PM
Vannak
Driver School Candidate

Dude get the european. The answers you got sound all based because its a japanese car. Ask yourself this, would you rather be in a Benz or a acura? Exactly
Old 01-10-08, 10:33 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vannak
Dude get the european. The answers you got sound all based because its a japanese car. Ask yourself this, would you rather be in a Benz or a acura? Exactly
My dad has a 2006 E55. Honestly, if it weren't for the power (and suspension to a lesser extent), i'd take my car over his.
Old 01-10-08, 10:37 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If they were new, I might lean towards the E even though I just am not very impressed with them. But buying them used and assuming the 19 year old doesn't have more funds and time available for potential service games, I would go with the TL. The E might be perfect and it could be trouble free for years but the odds are not in his favor. If he really finds the TL competitive I think he will find it to be the better ownership experience when starting with a used car. As much as I am looking a lot harder at the European models for my next purchases, if I were buying used, I would go Japanese. You could wind up with a TL with huge problems but the odds are against it. We all have lots of opinions on Consumer Reports and I would never buy a vehicle based solely on their rankings but if you compare the TL to the E, the TL is going to be far more reliable. If you go against the odds and you wind up with a maintenance nightmare with the E, you have no one to blame but yourself. I will leave this to others with more personal experience than I have but I suspect the TL is going to be a bit more fun to drive.
Old 01-10-08, 10:39 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

35k??? get a is250 of course
Old 01-10-08, 10:43 PM
LexFather

That is false. Our opinions are very valid. The TL is not even Japanese, its Japanese branded. Its as American as a Ford or Buick.
1. Designed in California by Americans
2. Soley built for the American market
3. Built in Ohio, by Americans.

The car knows what Americans want, as it has been Acura's best seller for sometime and is overall a FANTASTIC car.

I am not saying the E320 is bad but outside of prestige, for a 19 year old, the TL is better for him.

Old 01-10-08, 10:48 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is false. Our opinions are very valid. The TL is not even Japanese, its Japanese branded. Its as American as a Ford or Buick.
1. Designed in California by Americans
2. Soley built for the American market
3. Built in Ohio, by Americans.

The car knows what Americans want, as it has been Acura's best seller for sometime and is overall a FANTASTIC car.

I am not saying the E320 is bad but outside of prestige, for a 19 year old, the TL is better for him.
I'll add one more thing. Just got back from the SJ auto show and for my money, Acura and Audi make the best interiors. Lexus is right up there but Audi and Acura really do nice interiors IMO. Much better than what a 2005 E would have.
Old 01-10-08, 11:11 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven the Acura TL...

and it is FANTASTIC.

i mean. HOT DAMN fantastic.

the E320 is heavy and bloated and mushy in any comparison. sure it's RWD--but at least the Acura won't leave you in a tree through a fast bend...

i'm all for prestige and luxury and name brands too...but there's a certain extent to which male hormonal stupidity at the age of 19 that even a "safe" german car can't prevent.

i sure as hell learned my lesson in my miata when i had it..
Old 01-10-08, 11:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I agree with most in that I would definitely get and recommend the TL over the E class but I don't think either is really a good car for a 19 year old. Both are expensive from upmarket brands and probrably have a bit too much power and are more suited for older people. I had a 4 cylinder Mitsu Eclipse when I was 19 and I am lucky I am still alive the way I drove that car. If I had the GS430 at that age I most likely would have totaled it and have a bunch more points on my license. Why doesn't he get a used RSX, Integra, Prelude, Celica, Accord, or something else better suited for his age. A new 4 cylinder Honda Accord coupe would be really nice or an Altima coupe. It is silly for someone educated to by a car based on brand "prestige." They should buy on the merits of the car not brand "prestige."

Although the TL gets very good gas mileage especially considering its power it still needs expensive premium gas. The E class generally gets bad gas mileage and requires premium and still is not as fast.

TL is much more reliable, better made, handles better, much less expensive to maintain, better performance, gas mileage, much better NAV, sound system, many think nicer higher quality interior although I like the E class interior too. TL always have very high safety/crash ratings. Mercedes cars are not the tanks they used to be so the safety crash ratings are about even, rwd is generally more dangerous in wet/snowy/icy conditions making it less safe then TL. RWD vs FWD is a mute point when comparing these 2 cars, FWD TL handles and performs much better then the RWD benz, TL is one of the best if not best handling FWD sports sedan and outhandles/performs many of its RWD competition, no real advantage going rwd when neither is putting a ton of hp to the wheels.

An used E class is really a poor choice for someone his age as general maintenance will be extremely expensive, its reliability is poor and will be extremely expensive to fix, he will get harassed by cops at that age driving a car like that, gas will be expensive, insurance will most likely be very expensive, it is not sporty or nimble, not really fun to drive mainly for cruising, most people that age are not very responsible and will not take care of the car which is not good on a car like that

Last edited by UDel; 01-10-08 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 12:03 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

between the two, yes TL is netter for a 19 yr old.
But there are tons of better choice than them..

G37? GS? IS350? new or used.
Old 01-11-08, 01:04 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd rather be in the better car. The Acura TL. I'm not all pro Japanese either. I own a BMW as well. If the choice were an E500/550 I'd choose the Benz. But between a used E350 and a brand new Acura TL give me the TL.
Old 01-11-08, 01:28 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The acura looks better and performs better. I'd buy the TL

Quick Reply: which car to get : TL or E320