Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Enough with the darn surveys!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 10:41 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enough with the darn surveys!

This past Saturday I received a third request to complete an on-line survey (first two from Lexus, this past survey from survey.com). This last survey seemed to deal more with the prestige of owning a Lexus and little to do with quality or reliability.

After completing the survey, I came to the conclusion that I will not complete anymore surveys (this took an hour to complete on-line). I've also come to the conclusion AFTER taking the survey that the Lexus nameplate has lost some of its shine over the past couple years. These survey questions clearly imply some recent loyalty issues among current (and past) owners.
Old 12-09-07, 11:25 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I like the surveys. It actually shows that they care.
Old 12-09-07, 11:41 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
This past Saturday I received a third request to complete an on-line survey (first two from Lexus, this past survey from survey.com). This last survey seemed to deal more with the prestige of owning a Lexus and little to do with quality or reliability.

After completing the survey, I came to the conclusion that I will not complete anymore surveys (this took an hour to complete on-line). I've also come to the conclusion AFTER taking the survey that the Lexus nameplate has lost some of its shine over the past couple years. These survey questions clearly imply some recent loyalty issues among current (and past) owners.
I agree, surveys become very repetitive and often times we lose interest in them. I never take surveys.
Old 12-10-07, 05:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Let's do a CL survey, then, on who fills out surveys and who doesn't.

Seriously, though, many of those surveys serve a good purpose. We like to talk here, on and on, about auto reliability, customer and dealer satisfaction, vehicle quality, condition as delivered, etc.....

And, auto manufacturers and organizations like Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, Edmunds, and others depend on surveys for that data. You can't just snap your fingers and instantly know how happy or unhappy half a million new Camry owners are every year, or three-quarters of a million Ford F-150 owners. These companies process data on hundreds of thousands of surveys and publish the results. While no survey is perfect, and not all surveys are worded in a manner that allows for perfect communication, they are a vital tool for the current and future status of the auto market.

And sometimes you even get a little money for it. Some companies slip cash into the envelope with the survey....usually $5 or less. I once got $100 in cash for taking Cadillac up on an offer to spend an evening taking part in a focus discussion group when the first-generation CTS was getting ready to be released. A more common practice, though, recently, is the companies sending you print-out coupons on-line after surveys done by computer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-07 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-10-07, 05:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They shouldn't be sending you a survey that takes an hour to complete (or, at the very least, they should make it clear up front that it takes that long).

But, if Lexus reviews them carefully, including the comments, and takes even a handful of the comments to heart by improving the product or service, then I'm all for it.

And if it's on line, or by mail, and not someone calling me, I can do it, or decline to do it, at my leisure.
Old 12-10-07, 06:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

I've had several surveys in the mail recently, each with a dollar in them, which they hope will make you feel guilty if you DON'T fill out the survey. Yeah right.

I used to fill them out. Now I can't be bothered and I don't want to give away personal information.
Old 12-10-07, 07:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Surveys help. And although it does take a lot of your time, and your response is but a "drop in the bucket," it does help.

Now, if you have the time and energy, do it. If not, pass on it. You surely had enough time and energy to talk about it and post a thread about it; and just like how you found benefit in posting a thread about it, I hope you find benefit in filling out those surveys.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-07, 07:26 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack

This explains how Lexus is always on top of most of the surveys.. Lexus continues to stuff new owners with survey after survey to the point where one just succombs and fill it out with the hope of no longer being harassed.. lol.

I've also come to the conclusion AFTER taking the survey that the Lexus nameplate has lost some of its shine over the past couple years.
Why do you feel this way?
Old 12-10-07, 09:09 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dumbest surveys are the ones they tell you they need all 5's or the highest possible answer on every question. I'll tell them straight up, don't bother sending it to me then. They obviously aren't looking for any constructive input, they just want as many fluffy positive surveys they can get to show corporate.
Old 12-10-07, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I used to fill them out. Now I can't be bothered and I don't want to give away personal information.
I agree ....don't give out anything like SSN's, account numbers, etc.....or anything else like that that can be used for identity theft, but a reputable survey from a reputable firm won't ask for that kind of stuff to start with.