Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More Mercedes SLC Prototype Spied

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 09:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Full cover : CLICK HERE
Old 05-15-06, 09:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Auto Bild Elaborates On The Rumored Mercedes SL Gullwing

Earlier this week we brought you Auto Bild's photo illustration depicting what they thought an updated SL Gullwing might look like; but at the time, no specifics were given.

Today, the German publication has added further fuel to the stoke the rumor flames, outlining a few things they believe might be found on a possible Gullwing revival.

According to the article, if such a vehicle is in the works, it's being headed up not by Mercedes, but rather by the AMG team located in Affalterbach. The article continues by stating the vehicle will be powered by a 6.3-Liter V8 Biturbo, delivering approximately 750 horsepower. As for the vehicle's construction, the article debates what materials are being considered, with aluminum spaceframe, carbon, and plastic similar to that found on the Boeing Dreamliner jet all being mentioned.

So what's the basis for Auto Bild's claims? The magazine notes that although no detailed information exists on performance figures, dimensions, weights or price, they believe Mercedes has a clear vision of building a car the people everywhere will dream of owning, and the updated Gullwing is the logical choice.

While I'm all for wild, unsubstantiated rumors lacking any factual basis or merit, I seriously have to question the validity of anything mentioned in Auto Bild's article. A new McLaren Mercedes supercar to phase out the SLR? That, in my opinion, would be the most logical next step... but you never know.

To learn more, read the full article (roughly translated from German) and judge for yourself : CLICK HERE

source : emercedesbenz.com
Old 05-15-06, 12:11 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Tacky???
I would drive a Ford GT in a heartbeat. A Saleen S7 too...or any car with Saleen badging.

As for GM, I'd drive a vette or the GTO easy.
I was less than impressed with the Ford GT. I don't see why it costs more than the C6 Z06. Haven't driven the S7 and don't plan on it (as far as I'm concerned, once you're spending half a million on transportation, it had better fly or float).

The GTO is horrible. By horrible, I don't mean it's a bad car - it's a solid value for the money (400 hp for under 35 grand? Who can argue with that?). However, it's little more than a rebadged Holden Monaro, and has no ties to the original car (other than the fact that it's a fairly large family-type car with an oversized engine). It doesn't get any tackier than taking a completely different car and slapping a classic, long dead moniker on it simply for marketing purposes.

And the Vette? How is that a remake? It's been in continuous production for decades, and the C6 is (in some ways) a moderate departure from its predecessors. The Vette is the only car I'd buy among those listed.
Old 10-17-06, 10:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Mercedes jabs back with 2009 SL Gullwing

Reviving a Classic
By BOB GRITZINGER

AutoWeek | Published 10/17/06, 8:42 am et

We’ve known Mercedes-Benz has had a world-beater in the works since at least early 2004 when we blew the lid off plans for the McLaren-Mercedes P8 supercar. Now it appears the company has shifted gears once more, heading in the direction of remaking a modern-day version of the classic 300 SL Gullwing.

The car is expected to go into production by 2009 or ***0, powered by an AMG biturbo 6.3-liter V8, pushing up to 750 hp.
Old 10-17-06, 08:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

^^^ What the hell?!?!?!? It looks like an Audi R8!!
Old 10-18-06, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
^^^ What the hell?!?!?!? It looks like an Audi R8!!
yeah that's what i think too, it looks pretty good, but kinda loose the "history" of sl?
Old 10-18-06, 05:06 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah that's what i think too, it looks pretty good, but kinda loose the "history" of sl?
!
Old 10-18-06, 09:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
YEah R8 with the new CL grill. Looks weird in a good way, I like it

Remember, MB's history was lost after 1999/2000
Old 08-15-07, 09:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Mercedes working on 300 SL successor

Mercedes working on 300 SL successor

Wednesday 15 August 2007

Mercedes is working on a spiritual successor to the 300 SL Gullwing, one of the most revered cars in history. Priced between €140,000 and €200,000, the mega-Merc will be built on a shortened SL platform and is codenamed W198. Unlike the Mercedes-McLaren SLR, which was deemed to be a failure, the W198 will be built internally by Mercedes and AMG and the company expects to sell 3000-5000 units per year, according to a report from Germany’s Auto Motor Und Sport.

It’s expected the venerable 6.2L AMG V8 will once again make an appearance, this time developing close to 620hp. Despite the platform being shared with the SL, it’s expected most other components will be different to allow for some differentiation and to make room for the distinctive gullwing doors. The new model will sit between the SL and SLR in terms of performance and price.

Despite being a homage to the old 300 SL, don’t expect the W198 to be shamelessly retro. Apparently the first drawings provided by the designers were too close to the original and they were sent back to create something more modern. It’s expected the W198 will hit the streets in 2010.

In the meantime, Mercedes will be replacing the SL55 with the SL63, featuring the 6.2L V8. You can also expect to see a lightweight “superleggera” version of the SL weighing 100kg less than the standard model and developing up to 700hp.
via motorauthority
Old 08-15-07, 10:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mercedes definately has a bunch of stuff in their sleeves for fun and frivolity. Too bad they don't put as much effort to their everyday lux vehicles for functionality...
Old 08-15-07, 11:10 AM
LexFather

Wow, talk about a rip off. A 300 SL successor built off another platform? Yet they will charge more for it and rub heritage in the face.

SIgh, sign me up, lol

Old 08-15-07, 11:26 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what they will come up with.
Old 08-15-07, 12:46 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A new model...from Mercedes? NO WAY!

Old 08-29-07, 06:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default More info on Mercedes’ upcoming 300SL successor

More info on Mercedes’ upcoming 300SL successor

Tuesday 28 August 2007

Earlier this month, reports emerged outlining details about a new high-end sports car from Mercedes-Benz that would likely be the spiritual successor to the classic 300 SL gullwing. The car will be developed by Mercedes engineers but there will be many influences from the AMG performance division. Such features will include aluminum tubing for the car’s chassis, several AMG components including its hand-built 6.2L V8, as well as a possible dual-clutch gearbox.

The car’s styling will feature many retro cues, including the gullwing doors of the original model from the 1950s and should hit the market in early 2011, according to AutoZeitung. The new model will sit between the SL and SLR in terms of performance and price.

Mercedes’ racing partner HWA is still on track to launch its own super-sports car powered by the same 6.2L V8 engine, while Mercedes itself is working on a new Black Series edition of the SL roadster. This car will be lightened version of the facelifted SL and will pack a more powerful version of the, you guessed it, AMG’s 6.2L V8. Expect extensive use of aluminum and carbon-fiber to bring down the car’s kerb weight and a final power figure close to 575hp (429kW).
via motorauthority
Old 09-25-07, 07:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Preview: Mercedes’ 300 SL Gullwing successor

Preview: Mercedes’ 300 SL Gullwing successor

Posted on Tuesday 25 September 2007

Mercedes-Benz and its performance divisions AMG and HWA are working on a host of new sports cars with a number of prototypes already spotted testing at both the Nurburgring and America’s Death Valley. Yesterday, spy images of a new Black Series version of the facelifted SL surfaced and last month images of another prototype dubbed the SLC turned up. We now have new renderings of a third Mercedes sports car said to be in development, a gull-winged coupe based on a shortened SL platform described as a spiritual successor to the original 300 SL.

Rumored to hit the streets in 2010, the new car will feature an upgraded version of AMG’s hand-built 6.2L V8 with power levels in excess of 600hp. The car is being developed internally by Mercedes and AMG engineers and production numbers are expected to range between 3,000 and 5,000 units per year.

Although the gull-wing doors draw obvious styling cues from the original model from the 1950s, the new car won’t be shamelessly retro. As these renderings suggest, the car will feature a sleek, aerodynamic body, circular headlights and SLR-style side vents.
via motorauthority

Quick Reply: More Mercedes SLC Prototype Spied