Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Benz Asterisk -What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 08:13 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Mercedes Benz Asterisk -What does it mean?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone has the answer to this one.

I live in the Washington DC metro area (don't know if this matters or not but, I'm putting the information out there). I've seen quite a few (but not all) Mercedes Benz's with an Asterisk after the model name on the trunk lid....i.e. "E320*". What does the asterisk mean?

Anyone?

I don't think it's factory; I've looked closely at several and it's not quite the same chrome polish as the other letters....looks like it's been added on after.

Is is something a particular dealer puts on? But, if that's the case, it's REALLY stupid advertising since an average person (yeah, I'm average, what of it?) would have NO clue what it means.

I've tried to Google this but, just try Googling "Mercedes Benz Asterisk"....or "Star". You get A LOT of sites with disclaimers...asterisk...get it? And, of course, "Star" gets you countless web pages discussing the 3-pointed star. Google doesn't seem to recognize "*" as a search term.

Any help with the perplexing problem that keeps me up at night would be most appreciated.

Thoughts? Ideas? Discussions?
Old 11-21-07, 08:17 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and isn't an asterisk in a search box means match all words starting with the letters before the asterisk?

Don't know but it could be a local special edition like how our local Honda dealers had some special "touring" editions of CR-Vs and Accords a few years back and was only available in my area.
Old 11-21-07, 11:33 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost certain its the local dealership. In Dubia they have on the back of their Mercedes EMC in the same exact font come to find out its a dealership.
Old 11-22-07, 10:47 AM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Its on steroids.
Old 11-22-07, 10:58 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

maybe there is a disclaimer on the car somewhere that says:

"We do not own Chrysler anymore, YAY!"
Old 11-22-07, 01:07 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Call http://www.mercedesalexandria.com/ to find out why they do that. It's the dealer's signature/emblem.
Old 11-22-07, 06:20 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

I saw this on the site

"*The advertised price does not include sales tax, vehicle registration fees,
finance charges, documentation charges, and any other fees required by law. "

Old 11-23-07, 08:17 PM
sc300n00b
Pole Position

Habious, I've seen the same thing and always wondered about it...till I was shopping around for a Merc. I ended up getting my SLK55 AMG from Euro Motors in Bethesda and noticed none of their cars had the asterisk. However, I also shopped around at American Service Center in Alexandria, VA and noticed a lot of their cars had these * after the model name.
What's weird though is that now that I think about it, I can only recall the * on E series cars, although I'm sure that can't be right...
Old 11-23-07, 09:29 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc300n00b
Habious, I've seen the same thing and always wondered about it...till I was shopping around for a Merc. I ended up getting my SLK55 AMG from Euro Motors in Bethesda and noticed none of their cars had the asterisk. However, I also shopped around at American Service Center in Alexandria, VA and noticed a lot of their cars had these * after the model name.
What's weird though is that now that I think about it, I can only recall the * on E series cars, although I'm sure that can't be right...
Alexandria has their asterisk on all their cars' trunks, just as EuroMotorcars has their multi-colored logo on all their cars' grilles.