Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 06:39 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Just read the InsideLine first drive: http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s...rst-drive.html. Consider me very underwhelmed and disappointed. 2800lbs?! And only 197hp? 53/47 weight distribution? What happened to lightweight? What happened to 200+ hp? What happened to balance? I realize that things got lost in translation as it goes from proto to production, but all Toyco seemingly did was made a RWD Celica. I understand power isn't everything, and that the first impressions were good, but this was supposed to be the spiritual successor to the lightweight AE86. Maybe my hope was too high with all the hype, but 2800lbs is a complete porker for this class and cripples the car significantly in hp/weight standpoint. I guess I'll be keeping my MR-S longer than i expected.
You need to remember thats the same review of the prototype back in May that all the other magazines are reporting about. The current numbers from the CURRENT information (specifically the training manual) shows 200hp and much lower weight.

Oh, and here is another engine bay photo, this time from the Racecar:

Looks more finalized than the engine bay from the prototype back in May:

The large strut bar on the race car obviously won't be on the production model, and the A/C is missing.
Old 11-16-11, 12:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Just read the InsideLine first drive: http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s...rst-drive.html. Consider me very underwhelmed and disappointed. 2800lbs?! And only 197hp? 53/47 weight distribution? What happened to lightweight? What happened to 200+ hp? What happened to balance? I realize that things got lost in translation as it goes from proto to production, but all Toyco seemingly did was made a RWD Celica. I understand power isn't everything, and that the first impressions were good, but this was supposed to be the spiritual successor to the lightweight AE86. Maybe my hope was too high with all the hype, but 2800lbs is a complete porker for this class and cripples the car significantly in hp/weight standpoint. I guess I'll be keeping my MR-S longer than i expected.
so 197 vs 200 is a big deal? :-)

Power is 200hp, weight is 2600lbs for normal model, slightly more for AT, slightly less for stripped model.
Old 11-16-11, 01:08 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

Power is 200hp, weight is 2600lbs for normal model, slightly more for AT, slightly less for stripped model.
Power is 200ps = 197hp, but yeah that 2800+lbs figure was probably obtained before the specs were finalized since we already have the definitive specs from the pics of the leaked official staff manual:

Stripped: 1190kg = 2624lbs
Low-spec MT: 1210kg = 2668lbs
Low-spec AT: 1230kg = 2712lbs
High-spec MT: 1230kg = 2712lbs
High-spec AT: 1250kg = 2756lbs

...but then again a fully-loaded model with all the options such as nav and leather/alcantara seat trim may just push the weight over 2800lbs.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-16-11 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-16-11, 04:03 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but check it out:

I think the FRS is gonna look way better than the BRZ. I like the blue color though.
Old 11-16-11, 04:06 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

^That's the STi Concept though. The production BRZ will not have the widebody and front splitter, etc.
Old 11-16-11, 04:07 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ydooby
^That's the STi Concept though. The production BRZ will not have the widebody and front splitter, etc.
This.
Originally Posted by Incredible
I think the FRS is gonna look way better than the BRZ. I like the blue color though.
You do know the only difference visually between the two models is going to be the bumper skins, right?
Old 11-16-11, 04:11 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

That's the STI concept? It looks pretty close to the FRS, the headlights look pretty close to it.

I know that the bumpers will be what's different between the 2 models exterior wise (and I'm digging the exterior of the FRS), but the interiors will be completely different, right?
Old 11-16-11, 04:57 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Incredible
That's the STI concept? It looks pretty close to the FRS, the headlights look pretty close to it.
The shape is close, but this is what the car will actually look like:

I know that the bumpers will be what's different between the 2 models exterior wise (and I'm digging the exterior of the FRS), but the interiors will be completely different, right?
Interiors will probably be the same or close to being the same (minus maybe seat material?). The interior shots from the prototype test drives of the BRZ are the same interiors as the FRS, but we will find out more when the actual production cars both debut at the Tokyo auto show on the 30th.
Old 11-16-11, 06:50 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are fantastic!
Old 11-16-11, 07:53 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

I would have not minded "only" 197hp, but the weight kills it even at 2600lbs. If we are averaging 2700lbs (waaayy too much for a supposed "lightweight" car) for regular FR-S, then 220hp would have been minimum IMHO. Sorry, but i come from a 2K lbs MR-S w/ 150hp (thats with power and weight reduction mods)....so i was looking for an "upgrade" to an FR-S. As I said before, maybe i was hoping for too much from the "new" Toyota...My only hope now is the added weight is the result of additional reinforcement for a supposedly more powerful model! /crosses fingers
Old 11-16-11, 08:34 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

I would have not minded "only" 197hp, but the weight kills it even at 2600lbs. If we are averaging 2700lbs (waaayy too much for a supposed "lightweight" car) for regular FR-S, then 220hp would have been minimum IMHO. Sorry, but i come from a 2K lbs MR-S w/ 150hp (thats with power and weight reduction mods)....so i was looking for an "upgrade" to an FR-S. As I said before, maybe i was hoping for too much from the "new" Toyota...My only hope now is the added weight is the result of additional reinforcement for a supposedly more powerful model! /crosses fingers
The concept of the original AE86 and now the FT-86 is about not only lightweight and balance, but also practicality. It can easily be both one's daily driver and weekend getaway car. The MR-S...not so much. If practicality means nothing to you, this car is not for you.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-16-11 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 01:08 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
The concept of the original AE86 and now the FT-86 is about not only lightweight and balance, but also practicality. It can easily be both one's daily driver and weekend getaway car. The MR-S...not so much. If practicality means nothing to you, this car is not for you.
So your argument for the additional weight now was that practicality was part of the triumvirate of design goals?! My intended purchase was about performance first and some practicality in a coupe, so i know what it means to me and don't need you insinuating as such. The FR-S is going to be Toyco's ONLY affordable F/R coupe. One would of thought that with that in mind and the lessons learned from the lightweight MR-S, they could of morph the the 2 together for an unrivaled sports coupe. Sorry, but I'm an old school guy who has owned (2) Supra TT's and now an MR-S, so wanted more from Toyco.
Old 11-17-11, 04:35 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

So your argument for the additional weight now was that practicality was part of the triumvirate of design goals?! My intended purchase was about performance first and some practicality in a coupe, so i know what it means to me and don't need you insinuating as such. The FR-S is going to be Toyco's ONLY affordable F/R coupe. One would of thought that with that in mind and the lessons learned from the lightweight MR-S, they could of morph the the 2 together for an unrivaled sports coupe. Sorry, but I'm an old school guy who has owned (2) Supra TT's and now an MR-S, so wanted more from Toyco.
It's supposed to be a compact, lightweight, economical, rwd and most importantly FUN sports coupe. I understand that you may think that it's heavy (I myself was hoping for 2500lbs), but seriously, a 2600-2700lb 2+2 with all modern safety features and standards just doesn't get much better than that. Not it this price bracket anyway. This car wasn't built by numbers, so give it a drive and then come back and complain, k? Pretty sure it will be unrivaled in the way they **intended** by anything costing up to 2x the price.

p.s. It'd have the same power-to-weigh ratio as your weight reduced and modified MR-2
Old 11-17-11, 05:16 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

want more power...give it about 2-months from the release before we see a 2JZ swap in this thing. that should calm all quarrels
Old 11-17-11, 07:00 AM
LexFather

Great work Toyota and Suburu! A lot of Toyota haters absent in here

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru/Scion Lightweight Sports Car: Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS!