Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Honda Accord (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 04:18 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think an Accord or cars in its class really needs HID lights and it is not something I would pay extra for as it is defeating the purpose of a sensible affordable family sedan when you start loading them up with features found in luxury cars that start making them priced closer to luxury cars. I would not get leather on those type of cars either because the cloth is just fine to me and it is not going to be that nice of leather to be paying extra for. With all these midsize family sedans getting 250+hp engines, power heated seats, HID lights, NAV systems, and other features normally found on expensive cars the difference between "luxury cars" and economy/family sedans loaded with luxury features is dissapearing. This maybe good for family sedan buyers but luxury makers need to step up their game and start putting out cars that look and drive like they are worth 45K and up instead just being a little nicer and a little more powerful then these new family sedans. THeir used to be a big difference but not so much any more.

For me if a want a affordable family sedan I will skip the leather, NAV, HID, powerful engine, and get the most affordable model with the features that I need instead of think are cool. If I want those luxury features I will get a luxury car. By loading up an Accord with all these features it comes closer in price to a TL and why not just get a TL instead. There is still a big difference in price between a "nicely" equipted Accord especially when you get the 4 cyl and a TL but not so much once you get a loaded v-6 in which I would just get a TL as it is no longer a affordable family sedan once you get it loaded with all those options.
Well, I think that is the point! - What does a TL have that a Honda Accord does not? - After all if we are buying cars that cost $50K because it limits the number of folks that can afford them, then you have to ask yourself why?

I have owned 3 Honda Accords and they are Damn nice cars. If they start packing in Luxury features and sell for $20K less - maybe it would be something that I'd consider again. - I am past the point of trying to impress people.
Old 09-13-07, 04:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Well, I think that is the point! - What does a TL have that a Honda Accord does not? - After all if we are buying cars that cost $50K because it limits the number of folks that can afford them, then you have to ask yourself why?

I have owned 3 Honda Accords and they are Damn nice cars. If they start packing in Luxury features and sell for $20K less - maybe it would be something that I'd consider again. - I am past the point of trying to impress people.
I like your train of thought.. Really who do we need to impress? The Accord, G35, IS, Acura are all top quality vehicles that are affordable..
Old 09-13-07, 11:46 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate gated shifters. and oh yeah good idea compare a sienna to an accord. a sienna tops at 39K while an acord tops at 30K......uh?
Old 09-14-07, 12:00 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AM1
i hate gated shifters. and oh yeah good idea compare a sienna to an accord. a sienna tops at 39K while an acord tops at 30K......uh?
Not to mention that one is a sedan and the other a minivan. HELLO
Old 09-14-07, 12:08 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know much about this car in any regard, nor do I care to really. But I saw on while driving by the Honda lot earlier this evening and at a quick glance I swore it was a tC from the front end...
Old 09-14-07, 09:31 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

No HIDs would not be a deal breaker for me if I were looking at the Accord. XenonDepot can fix that!
Old 09-14-07, 12:20 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

amazingly light for such a large vehicle.
Old 09-14-07, 12:49 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Threads merged so I removed my duplicate post

Last edited by Threxx; 09-14-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 12:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You have a point with the gated shifter, although many don't like gated shifters. As for the HIDs. I think Honda will put HID's in the Accord when their biggest competitor the Toyota Camry gets HIDs. Either way, when one gets it the other car will surely follow. Its just a matter of who thinks they need it first.
A small point: The Camry does have projector lamps standard, while the Accord does not. Both Accord and Camry's headlights are halogen, but the Camry gets the extra credit for having projector lamps.
Old 09-14-07, 01:07 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
A small point: The Camry does have projector lamps standard, while the Accord does not. Both Accord and Camry's headlights are halogen, but the Camry gets the extra credit for having projector lamps.
the coupe uses projectors
Old 09-14-07, 01:53 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Default New Accord...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What a snooze fest.

It looks very derivative of the Acura RL with Civic tail lights.

Call me nuts, but I think the Camry is a much sharper looking car.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 09-14-07 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 02:12 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
To us and other car enthusiasts yes maybe. To those buying Camry's and Accord's I doubt they care at all. That is why those two cars sell in such high volume numbers that they do. They appeal to the mass market. Guys like us want more than the mass market cars, thus the reason why we became car enthusiasts at some point
Old 09-14-07, 02:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
the coupe uses projectors
Yes it does, just a shame that the sedan does not, seeing as the sedan is the biggest seller.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
To us and other car enthusiasts yes maybe. To those buying Camry's and Accord's I doubt they care at all. That is why those two cars sell in such high volume numbers that they do. They appeal to the mass market. Guys like us want more than the mass market cars, thus the reason why we became car enthusiasts at some point
It's obviously not a huge purchasing decision, but projectors are something you can see, and they do add a greater sense of style and perception that the car is more expensive.
Old 09-14-07, 03:10 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

The Accord is more than 4 inches longer than the Camry, but the combined legroom on both vehicles is the same. What gives?
Old 09-14-07, 06:21 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101
The Accord is more than 4 inches longer than the Camry, but the combined legroom on both vehicles is the same. What gives?
I dunno - what about the trunk sizes? Seat sizes? Wheel base? Longer doesn't automatically mean more leg room. Lots more to do with that room than for legs. The previous-gen Accord and current camry already have plenty of it anyway - no need for more unless you have reclining rear seats or something.

Quick Reply: 2008 Honda Accord (merged threads)