Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Honda Accord (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 10:23 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
the good thing is you can get the EX-L v6 with a 6speed manual. what more do you need? i would even consider one for my next car, if it was RWD
Unfortunately only with the coupe -the manual is now gone for the four door V6.
Old 09-12-07, 11:26 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just got back from a test drive of a 2008 EX-L V6 without nav (the only thing it didn't have.

I have to say it's a big improvement over the last car overall however I'm just not blown away.

The interior is certainly improved, but there were a couple of glaring build quality issues with this one and I wasn't even looking for them - a seem where two dash panels should have been flush that stuck out a good centimeter or so. And excessive wind noise from the back left door.

It reminds me why I prefer leasing - because when I lease cars, these things don't bother me. If I owned that Accord I'd want those things fixed and since Honda doesn't give out loaners, I'd be wasting lots of time waiting around the dealer service area.

Overall the car was powerful but far from exciting. It's probably quicker than my Audi but it definitely didn't feel like it, and feeling fast is half the fun. It felt pretty heavy too - the sales guy drove it before I did and he was doing some boy racer type maneuvers with it and looking at me like I should be impressed with the 'awesome honda handling' but I just wasn't.

It definitely did ride smoothly though. Road and wind noise were good from 0-40 or so but after that they started to creep up to semi-unacceptable levels. A good measure for me is if the people up front can face forward and talk to the people in the back without raising their voice or having to repeat themselves and there were several times we were having to repeat ourselves (my friend that went with me road in the back most of the way).

This friend of mine has an 05 TL and we both agreed that the TL feels just as quick or quicker, handles considerably better, and is a bit quieter on the highway.

The Accord, IMO, is also sorely missing available push-button start, xenon headlights, and if you don't have navi you don't get much of a worthwhile readout like fuel economy or range... just temperature and compass.

The stereo (7 speaker with an 8 inch sub) wasn't bad but I think I was hoping for more. It got distressed early on in the volume range. Definitely not as strong or clear as my Audi A4's base level stereo (it doesn't have the optional bose) and I'm not even 'that' impressed by my Audi's stereo either.

There's a green light on the gauges that shows when it has switched to 3 or 4 cylinder mode (down from 6) and that didn't come on very often - only when I was coasting in the city or cruising on a flat surface under 75 on the highway do I remember it coming on, though I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it.

The leather was typical Honda stuff, too - in the pics I thought it looked like it might be more plush than previous Honda vehicles but to me it seemed about the same.

Anyhow - the guy said he'd work up some numbers for me but I'm pretty sure whatever he comes back with is going to be based on MSRP and is probably going to cost as much as a 328i lease if not a 335i lease and if I'm given the choice between a 335i and a V6 Accord lease for the same price, well - you better know which one I'd take. The 335i was about 10x more fun to drive and has all sorts of extra features over the Accord. But anyhow... I'll still give him a chance to prove me wrong with the numbers.
Old 09-12-07, 12:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Overall the car was powerful but far from exciting. It's probably quicker than my Audi but it definitely didn't feel like it, and feeling fast is half the fun. It felt pretty heavy too - the sales guy drove it before I did and he was doing some boy racer type maneuvers with it and looking at me like I should be impressed with the 'awesome honda handling' but I just wasn't.
Honda salesppl seem to love to do that, don't they? My parents said they did that ""show off the handling" bit when they were looking at the Civic back in 1997. Needless to say, my mum thought the salesman's driving was poor and didn't understand why he was trying to sway the car left and right. My dad just said the steering wheel felt cheap and didn't comment on the salesman's driving.

They ended up with a Corolla instead lol.
Old 09-12-07, 06:15 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Default 2008 Honda Accord (merged threads)

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 09-12-07 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 06:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I think this would be a good discussion for the Car Chat.
Old 09-12-07, 06:51 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

B4 he moves this, I went to the website. It looks like a $30k car. I can tell my GS looks way better. Heck, Honda have yet to stick in HID lights into the accord. My Sienna van has that.
Old 09-12-07, 07:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw a couple of truck loads of these new Accords while driving across the country today. Really haven't gotten a chance to look inside of one yet, but from the exterior, definately made me slow down and take a second look at it. Totally new exterior styling, and it was rather decent looking; unlike their last body style which i really didnt care for.
Old 09-12-07, 08:14 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=305622 ?
Old 09-12-07, 10:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's going to be very interesting. The new Malibu and new Accord both start at 20K, while the Camry starts at 18K. What needs to be kept in mind is that for 18K the Camry comes well equipped, so it's not just a stripper model. On the other hand, the Accord does have a better interior than the Camry.

It will be certainly an interesting competition.
I just looked at what an 18K Camry gets you vs. a 20K Accord. They're very similar but the Accord is a bigger car in every dimension, has traction control and 177HP vs 158HP. I would also argue the Accord's interior and exterior booth look better than the Camry.
Old 09-12-07, 10:16 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

I actually think the Camry/ MKVIII Accord both look good BUT the Accord looks a little better imo. I think the ES350 looks better than the TL though.
Old 09-13-07, 01:55 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
B4 he moves this, I went to the website. It looks like a $30k car. I can tell my GS looks way better. Heck, Honda have yet to stick in HID lights into the accord. My Sienna van has that.
I justed looked at the Honda website and couldn't believe they didn't have the HID or projectors lights? I think they offered Xenon
Old 09-13-07, 02:22 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at one yesterday not only it didn't have HID but it still don't have a gated shift lever.
Old 09-13-07, 02:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Why does this forum care so much about the damn Honda Accord? Its not that big of a deal.
Old 09-13-07, 03:54 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I looked at one yesterday not only it didn't have HID but it still don't have a gated shift lever.
You have a point with the gated shifter, although many don't like gated shifters. As for the HIDs. I think Honda will put HID's in the Accord when their biggest competitor the Toyota Camry gets HIDs. Either way, when one gets it the other car will surely follow. Its just a matter of who thinks they need it first.
Old 09-13-07, 04:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
I don't think an Accord or cars in its class really needs HID lights and it is not something I would pay extra for as it is defeating the purpose of a sensible affordable family sedan when you start loading them up with features found in luxury cars that start making them priced closer to luxury cars. I would not get leather on those type of cars either because the cloth is just fine to me and it is not going to be that nice of leather to be paying extra for. With all these midsize family sedans getting 250+hp engines, power heated seats, HID lights, NAV systems, and other features normally found on expensive cars the difference between "luxury cars" and economy/family sedans loaded with luxury features is dissapearing. This maybe good for family sedan buyers but luxury makers need to step up their game and start putting out cars that look and drive like they are worth 45K and up instead just being a little nicer and a little more powerful then these new family sedans. THeir used to be a big difference but not so much any more.

For me if a want a affordable family sedan I will skip the leather, NAV, HID, powerful engine, and get the most affordable model with the features that I need instead of think are cool. If I want those luxury features I will get a luxury car. By loading up an Accord with all these features it comes closer in price to a TL and why not just get a TL instead. There is still a big difference in price between a "nicely" equipted Accord especially when you get the 4 cyl and a TL but not so much once you get a loaded v-6 in which I would just get a TL as it is no longer a affordable family sedan once you get it loaded with all those options.

Quick Reply: 2008 Honda Accord (merged threads)